World in Flames Download Version Now Available

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

AxelNL

RE: World in Flames Download Version Now Available

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

To my knowledge, there are translations of the rules in German, French and Spanish. There might be more, but that's what I know...

Btw... Thanks for commenting on my lousy English... [;)]

Bo, I have the utmost respect for our Italian, Chinese and other brethren I have seen in this forum. English is for us almost a second language as most our TV/Movies are subtitled and we learn it throughout our school days (my kids started to learn it at 8). As a small trading nation we have a lot of focus on learning other languages (look at the WiF map where all our flags wave). At high school it is even obliged to graduate with a second foreign language - even if you are destined to go to a Technical University, where English is enough and the other languages will be mathematics or programming languages.
Usually the other language chosen is German (largest trading nation with us) or French (other language neighbour, including the southern part of Belgium). Most schools offer Spanish and nowadays some also Chinese (in my highschool days some of my classmates choose to study Japanese - it had the trading position China has now). No Scandinavian languages, although our culture is much closer to that of Norway/Denmark/Sweden than our closer neighbours.

I myself had the privilege to be able to do my Master's in Paris, where strangely enough I learned more English and discovered Malt Whisky instead of French and their wine.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

To my knowledge, there are translations of the rules in German, French and Spanish. There might be more, but that's what I know...

Bo, I have the utmost respect for our Italian, Chinese and other brethren I have seen in this forum. English is for us almost a second language as most our TV/Movies are subtitled and we learn it throughout our school days (my kids started to learn it at 8). As a small trading nation we have a lot of focus on learning other languages (look at the WiF map where all our flags wave). At high school it is even obliged to graduate with a second foreign language - even if you are destined to go to a Technical University, where English is enough and the other languages will be mathematics or programming languages.
Usually the other language chosen is German (largest trading nation with us) or French (other language neighbour, including the southern part of Belgium). Most schools offer Spanish and nowadays some also Chinese (in my highschool days some of my classmates choose to study Japanese - it had the trading position China has now). No Scandinavian languages, although our culture is much closer to that of Norway/Denmark/Sweden than our closer neighbours.

I myself had the privilege to be able to do my Master's in Paris, where strangely enough I learned more English and discovered Malt Whisky instead of French and their wine.

Well, I think French wine is overrated... Anyhow, I learned my English while working for an English company who had a daughtercompany over here. Other than that, I've got family in Austria, so my German is also quite good, since that is a language I've spoken since childhood when we always went to Austria for a 7 weeks holiday over the summer (my father being a teacher at highschool helped a lot with the long summer vacation...).
Peter
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Well, I think French wine is overrated... Anyhow, I learned my English while working for an English company who had a daughtercompany over here. Other than that, I've got family in Austria, so my German is also quite good, since that is a language I've spoken since childhood when we always went to Austria for a 7 weeks holiday over the summer (my father being a teacher at highschool helped a lot with the long summer vacation...).

How old were you when you started to learn English, I know the younger you are the easier it is to absord, my grandson is learning Spanish in the 6th grade and he speaks it pretty well. There is a 10 year old boy who is a friend of my grandson and he comes from Equador 4 years ago and never spoke English to he got here and there is not a trace of Spanish accent when he speaks in English amazing.

A friend of mine is a German teacher in high school, he went to Germany for a vacation and the Germans complimented him on his perfect German but they knew he was an American by the accent.

Bo
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I was 12 when I got my first English lessons. And Germans can tell that I'm not a native German speaker, because I also have an accent. Nice thing about that accent is that they can't place it. To much Austrian dialect thrown in...
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Sorry if someone else said it before, but this link:

http://matrixgames.com/store/buynow.asp ... Id=3208130

leads to an intermediate page where there is a different offer than the one it should be (boxed edition +download) although it finally arrives to the right page where you can effectively buy this option. It can be confusing for possible buyers and dissuade some who will cancel the process when they see the link isn't leading to the desired product.

I got that page after clicking on "boxed edition +download", here http://matrixgames.com/products/296/det ... .In.Flames

EDIT: It seems it's an additional offer that can be bought with that option, ..., but to me it's not clear, and I thought the link was wrong. I guess I may not be the only one. It should be included a clearer message that this is an additional option ...

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That option is for the Map Pack to be purchased as an optional extra, but yeah, it could be confusing depending on how you arrived there.
Paul
icitrom_y

Post by icitrom_y »

I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned. I gave up at the end of page 2.

Putting on my ESP cap, I suspect Matrix/Slitherine chose the lesser of two evils. Had they offered the new download-only version at the usual substantial discount, you'd have a whole bunch of MWiF owners screaming bloody murder as many wanted to not purchase the books but went ahead anyway because they were told there is not and would not be another option.

So, instead of a bunch of non-owners rightly questioning why the download-only version is not discounted, you'd likely have a bunch of owners demanding money back. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

It's a balancing act, weighing a certain but unclear amount of lost sales vs. the mitigation of the risk of current owners creating a big stink that could cost even more money, either directly, or indirectly with lost future repeat sales from disgruntled owners.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: icitrom_y

I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned. I gave up at the end of page 2.

Putting on my ESP cap, I suspect Matrix/Slitherine chose the lesser of two evils. Had they offered the new download-only version at the usual substantial discount, you'd have a whole bunch of MWiF owners screaming bloody murder as many wanted to not purchase the books but went ahead anyway because they were told there is not and would not be another option.

So, instead of a bunch of non-owners rightly questioning why the download-only version is not discounted, you'd likely have a bunch of owners demanding money back. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

It's a balancing act, weighing a certain but unclear amount of lost sales vs. the mitigation of the risk of current owners creating a big stink that could cost even more money, either directly, or indirectly with lost future repeat sales from disgruntled owners.
warspite1

Most people are grown-ups and realise that, in life, things change. I have bought many things over the years - only to find that that those items were put in the sales a few weeks/months later or a superior product came out shortly after etc. There are no guarantees in life. You make your decisions based on what you know.

The fact that the download option became available was in response to demand from the consumer - and Matrix reacted. If people get it cheaper then good luck to them - I bought the game when I did because I wanted it badly enough. I can only speak for myself but I can honestly say if I was given the option at the time: Buy now and you have to buy the physical + books (which you will have to pay a surcharge for) or wait a couple of months(?) or so and have a slightly cheaper download option, then I would have gone for the former everytime. I agree not everyone would take that view - but given the reaction to the books from those that have bought them, I think most people would accept it, accept Matrix tried to do the right thing, and would move on instead of bleating about how unfair life is and demanding their money back.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

+1

I have very limited mony and I bought on release. If the downloaded version got a discount of x amount, I would have been fine and have not complained and expected any consideration because I bought early. I do not see the Steam forums exploading because people bought a game on release for $60 USD and then six months later it is on sale for $20.

Unfortunately, as Warsprite said, there could (please notice I said COULD) be enough people here to make demands for monies back where this might distract from the game so that it could (notice the could again [:)]) impact not just sales of this game but sales overall. Given the comments about the books, lots of people did state they were willing to pay the full price for the game but were unwilling to pay for the books. So Matrix listened and complied. That is SO much better than ignoring the issue and saying 'Tough'.

If at some point a discount is offered for the download version, I am cool with that too. As my expectations of the game on release were extremely low (so were actually exceeded when I actually started playing) so I am definately in the 'happy' camp. But then I had been following the game for several years so I had a pretty good idea of the shape it would be in on release. Whatever matrix wants to do with their business is fine by me. I do not need to knon thier contract information, pricing model, etc. If they royally screw up, then I will just go elsewhere with my dollars. I certainly do NOT need to come here and complain about it. I have aboslutely NO desire to 'fix' any business I do not have money invested in [:)] I am just puzzled why others need to. Because you paid money for a game? Really?
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I don't think it were the books that gave the problem. It was the shipping costs which are very, very high for parts of the world...

Personally I think that, if the shipping cost aren't so high, there wouldn't have been such an uproar about this...
Peter
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Correct.

Return to “World in Flames”