D-Day

Share here your best strategies! Or your failures ...
ncc1701e

D-Day

Post by ncc1701e »

When the Axis is defending the coastline, I have problems to take ports on the first turn.
I had several invasions in Normandy that was repulsed due to supply issues.

Any tips? What is your standard invasion force? I am usually taking one or two airborne units and about three to four infantry corps.

Thanks
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Villain

RE: D-Day

Post by Villain »

I practised in a hotseat game with the 44 scenario and nowadays I prefer a massive multi (2 or more waves in back to back turns) of 6+ land units only limited by the number of transports and landing ships.
Spreading my invasions between two or more ports to at least get one and link up if possible.
Have units available to reinforce on turn 2 if you can take a port and have room to disembark.
The germans will likely have full/small corps on the big ports and divs everywhere else. Don't forget to use naval bombardment as it really really helps. Paras to prevent rail and attack critical junctions or to help get better odds on a port.

I've never enough Landing ships and I'm usually buying them with the USA the moment I can on turn 2 in the 39 scenario.
The UK has a harder time but with 65 shipyards they can ramp up pretty fast once they start buying them but having landingships early gives you options... so build some early too.
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

I practised in a hotseat game with the 44 scenario and nowadays I prefer a massive multi (2 or more waves in back to back turns) of 6+ land units only limited by the number of transports and landing ships.
Spreading my invasions between two or more ports to at least get one and link up if possible.
Have units available to reinforce on turn 2 if you can take a port and have room to disembark.
The germans will likely have full/small corps on the big ports and divs everywhere else. Don't forget to use naval bombardment as it really really helps. Paras to prevent rail and attack critical junctions or to help get better odds on a port.

I've never enough Landing ships and I'm usually buying them with the USA the moment I can on turn 2 in the 39 scenario.
The UK has a harder time but with 65 shipyards they can ramp up pretty fast once they start buying them but having landingships early gives you options... so build some early too.

+1
I have seen (and suffered from) how effective that can be [:D]
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thanks for the tips
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Return to “War Room”