MM (Allied) vs HB (Axis) HB Welcome

Post here your best AAR
Harrybanana

RE: October 10 1941, Game over.

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: MagicMissile

Major mistakes I am thinking now.
1) I let North Africa go. I think I have changed my mind and the UK should try and do what they can to save Vichy NA.
2) My build orders were not very good. Overbuilt against the subs and some other things I would change too.
3) I did not put my armies in garrison mode that might have been a big one. I dont like the lack of mobility and I felt I had always survived with the Soviets before and now with more rivers how hard could it be [:)]. Well I was wrong.

I think those are the major ones.

There are 2 other things you did that I think were mistakes:

1. I believe you built 6 additional Tank Corps to go with the 3 the Russians start with for a total of 9. The Russian Tanks are the only semi-decent units the Russians get, so I certainly understand why you built them. But personally I only build 3 additional Tank Corps. With the 1300 PPs saved from not building the other 3 I build 11 Infantry Corps (that of course I put in garrison mode). I just find that the Russians never have enough units.

2. Saving too much Production to build 11 Armies on T1 of Barbarossa. I used to do this too. But the problem is that the Axis will always get 6 turns of attacks before these units arrive. They can do a lot of damage in those 6 turns. I personally only save enough production to build 5 armies. With the saved 1300 PP from the other 6 I build 3 mechanized (and upgrade them to 41 tech) and 2 infantry corps. Six 41 tech armies are better than three 41 tech Mech and two 39 tech corps; but I would rather have the latter on T1 of Barbarossa than the former on T6.

Combining 1 and 2 means that the Russians will have an extra 13 units (and 260 Force Strength) on the map for T1 of Barbarossa. I have to admit that if the Russian's survive, your build plan gives them more better units than my build plan. I just think that my plan gives them a better chance to survive. Though we will have to see in our mirror game if I am right.
Robert Harris
MagicMissile

Post by MagicMissile »

1) Yes that is what I dont understand. In this and the other game I have built differently than what I did before. I also used to only build 3 arm. Not sure why I changed my mind. I guess I thought with all those prettu immobile corps you need some units that can actually move.

2) Still not sure about this one but maybe 11 was a bit too much. Well at least this time you have proven to be right you will survive whereas I did not. Sure I can probably do some damage in 42 but your army will probably be 2500+ strength but Germany about the same size in the east as units built might be needed in the west.
MagicMissile

Post by MagicMissile »

Also if someone is interested my Soviets reached 45% Xp in Oct 41. Dont know if that is fast or slow.

/MM
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: MagicMissile

Also if someone is interested my Soviets reached 45% Xp in Oct 41. Dont know if that is fast or slow.

/MM

In my experience that is very fast. I find the rate at which Russian experience increases varies incredibly from game to game. If it is "very fast" it reaches 50% within about 8 months (January 42) from the start of Barbarossa, If it is "very slow" it takes about 18 months (November 42). Of course, a lot depends upon the number of attacks made by both sides.
Robert Harris
MagicMissile

Post by MagicMissile »

Sad then that they did not survive. I felt you didnt have to attack that much and I think I made like 4-5 attacks maybe so maybe I was a bit lucky there.

/MM

Return to “AAR”