Clarification of Sub Hunters

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

canuckgamer

Clarification of Sub Hunters

Post by canuckgamer »

On page 83 it says:
"Air Groups must have the Detection and Electronics Advancement to give the bonus"

This is not very clear as it doesn't indicate what level of advancement. Is it 1940, 41.........?

On page 82 it says:
"Air range for air"

So does range mean within range of the convoy route or within range of the enemy subs raiding that convoy route?
canuckgamer

Re: Clarification of Sub Hunters

Post by canuckgamer »

I just looked at Detection and Electronics and see that Anti Sub does not improve until 1941 so that tells me that until the air unit gets to that level it will not add a sub hunter bonus.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

The system is based on Gannon's book Black May.

Until ~1941 convoy protection was about numbers and configuration.
Then technology came more into play
By 1942 the UK had the Uboat war beat.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

Hi,

I took 5 min to check on hotseat. And and I can confirm that even 1939 tech (used a Soviet bomber from 1942 scenario) does give the 2% bonus (as I think it should), so it is not tech dependent in this role. Only direct attacks on the subs will depend on tech.

But to put it in perspective, all bomber types, whatever role, start at 3 anti-sub capacity. So the 1941 and 1943 advancement are only improvements on already existing capacity. Most of the capacity is already there at start.

PS: of course, if the bonus could be improved with the 1943 tech advancement it would be a nice touch, but I am not sure the engine allows for it. And by then as Alvaro said, the sub war is mostly over, or a side show, in most games anyway,
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Thanks for the replies. Since aircraft are the only ones that can attack subs in a ocean hex I thought the anti-sub ratings impacted those attacks. That is why I was a little confused about the reference in the manual about the detection and electronics advancement needed to gain the sub hunter bonus for planes. I assume that the plane must be in range of the raiding sub.
Your test means that the rule as written on page 82 is incorrect.
I also noticed that the warship advancement can increase the anti sub number which is pretty well useless since surface ships can only attack subs when they are in a coastal hex.
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

canuckgamer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:06 pm Thanks for the replies. Since aircraft are the only ones that can attack subs in a ocean hex I thought the anti-sub ratings impacted those attacks. That is why I was a little confused about the reference in the manual about the detection and electronics advancement needed to gain the sub hunter bonus for planes. I assume that the plane must be in range of the raiding sub.
Your test means that the rule as written on page 82 is incorrect.
I also noticed that the warship advancement can increase the anti sub number which is pretty well useless since surface ships can only attack subs when they are in a coastal hex.
No, on the contrary, I think that the rule on page 82 is correct. Any plane with detection and electronics (either 1939 tech or more) will impact within its range.

And yes, you were actually right, anti-sub rating does impact "attacks" on subs (that is what is used if you click on your bomber and voluntarily attack a particular enemy sub on your turn, the higher the anti-sub, the better chance to hit). However, the anti-sub level does not impact the sub-hunter bonus, it is always only 2% per plane.

For warship advancement on anti-sub, do not forget that anti-sub is also the stats used to "fire back at subs" if subs attack or interdict that ship. So it is useful in that way.

Return to “WarPlan”