New event - Mozhaisk defense line

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

ncc1701e

New event - Mozhaisk defense line

Post by ncc1701e »

I am wondering if this is possible to add fortifications by event. It is possible to remove them obviously like the Maginot line but it would need a new ressource file if I want to implement a new line, correct?

How I am adding a name to this line and what is the meaning of the attributes please?
fortification.JPG
fortification.JPG (120.74 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Re: New event - Mozhaisk defense line

Post by ncc1701e »

Obviously, this is not the Siegfried line. I would like to implement an event that creates this line by 13 October 1941 if Smolensk has been captured by the Axis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... 0_October)
By 13 October 1941, the Wehrmacht had reached the Mozhaisk defense line, a hastily constructed set of four lines of fortifications protecting Moscow's western approaches which extended from Kalinin towards Volokolamsk and Kaluga. Despite recent reinforcements, only around 90,000 Soviet soldiers manned this line—far too few to stem the German advance. Given the limited resources available, Zhukov decided to concentrate his forces at four critical points: the 16th Army under Lieutenant General Rokossovsky guarded Volokolamsk, Mozhaisk was defended by 5th Army under Major General Govorov, the 43rd Army of Major General Golubev defended Maloyaroslavets, and the 49th Army under Lieutenant General Zakharkin protected Kaluga. The entire Soviet Western Front—nearly destroyed after its encirclement near Vyazma—was being recreated almost from scratch.

Moscow itself was also hastily fortified. According to Zhukov, 250,000 women and teenagers worked building trenches and anti-tank moats around Moscow, moving almost three million cubic meters of earth with no mechanical help. Moscow's factories were hastily converted to military tasks: one automobile factory was turned into a submachine gun armory, a clock factory manufactured mine detonators, the chocolate factory shifted to food production for the front, and automobile repair stations worked fixing damaged tanks and military vehicles. Despite these preparations, the capital was within striking distance of German tanks, with the Luftwaffe mounting large-scale air raids on the city. The air raids caused only limited damage because of extensive anti-aircraft defenses and effective civilian fire brigades.

On 13 October 1941 (15 October, according to other sources), the Wehrmacht resumed its offensive. At first, the German forces attempted to bypass Soviet defenses by pushing northeast towards the weakly protected city of Kalinin and south towards Kaluga and Tula, capturing all except Tula by 14 October. Encouraged by these initial successes, the Germans launched a frontal assault against the fortified line, taking Mozhaisk and Maloyaroslavets on 18 October, Naro-Fominsk on 21 October, and Volokolamsk on 27 October after intense fighting. Because of the increasing danger of flanking attacks, Zhukov was forced to fall back, withdrawing his forces east of the Nara River.

In the south, the Second Panzer Army initially advanced towards Tula with relative ease because the Mozhaisk defense line did not extend that far south and no significant concentrations of Soviet troops blocked their advance. However, bad weather, fuel problems, and damaged roads and bridges eventually slowed the German army, and Guderian did not reach the outskirts of Tula until 26 October. The German plan initially called for the rapid capture of Tula, followed by a pincer move around Moscow. The first attack, however, was repelled by the 50th Army and civilian volunteers on 29 October, after a fight within sight of the city. This was followed by the counter-offensive by the 1st Guards Cavalry Corps whose flanks were secured by the 10th Army, 49th Army and 50th Army who attacked from Tula. On 31 October, the German Army high command ordered a halt to all offensive operations until increasingly severe logistical problems were resolved and the rasputitsa subsided.
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Oups sorry this is for the Mods subforum. My mistake.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

ncc1701e wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm I am wondering if this is possible to add fortifications by event. It is possible to remove them obviously like the Maginot line but it would need a new ressource file if I want to implement a new line, correct?

How I am adding a name to this line and what is the meaning of the attributes please?
fortification.JPG
It is perfectly doable. But yes, A new resource file would probably be needed. I do that.
Attachments
Resource.PNG
Resource.PNG (442.42 KiB) Viewed 482 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

I added the Mozhaisk line in my mod. Not by event though. But making an event for it (for creation and/or destruction) is fairly easy to do.
Attachments
Mozhaisk.PNG
Mozhaisk.PNG (975.59 KiB) Viewed 481 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

I changed the Leningrad area too. Not just fortifications. If you look closely you will see numerous changes (like the Svir river and the river around Volkhov for example).
Attachments
Leningrad.PNG
Leningrad.PNG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 479 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

ncc1701e wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm I am wondering if this is possible to add fortifications by event. It is possible to remove them obviously like the Maginot line but it would need a new ressource file if I want to implement a new line, correct?

fortification.JPG
You need to load the changed resourceNames.txt. You can find it in the location shown.

Alter the resourceNames.txt and load it into the editor. There is a little bug though. After you have loaded the new resourcenames, the resourceNames.txt in the UserSavedData directory reverts back to the original. At least it does so with me. No biggie tho, if you loaded the names in the editor it will save them with the scenario file and all is well :D
Attachments
UserSavedData.PNG
UserSavedData.PNG (95.16 KiB) Viewed 477 times
ResourceNames.PNG
ResourceNames.PNG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 477 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thanks, I will try.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I certainly did something wrong. My event is not executed. How I can have them taken into account?

Thanks
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

You need help for making an event to create the Mozhaisk line?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I have created a simple event to check if it works.

For this, I have edited the _events.txt file in a new created scenario:
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939 Test Mod

But the event is not processed. Should I download it inside the scenario? Maybe I am missing this step.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Yes, you need to load it into the scenario in the editor. I will post a screenshot where you can find the button, if you don't know which one it is.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

PanzerMike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:35 am Yes, you need to load it into the scenario in the editor. I will post a screenshot where you can find the button, if you don't know which one it is.

Update: see picca
Attachments
Load all scripts and save.PNG
Load all scripts and save.PNG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 347 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thanks, I retry.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Getting these errors. :roll: I did copy everything from an existing scenario.
errors.JPG
errors.JPG (69.83 KiB) Viewed 332 times
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

You should paste the event you added so we could validate it is correct.

But that message is normal.

IF there is an error you get a red error message above Transfer loops.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Correct. Just a default message.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

stjeand wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:13 pm You should paste the event you added so we could validate it is correct.
I have copied the Europe 1939 small fleet from the latest patch. And I just want to add three events nothing more to test my theory that Germany is not losing enough men during Barbarossa.
Briefing.JPG
Briefing.JPG (157.85 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I have just added these three events:

//USSR armies are upgraded with the introduction of Tank Brigades
$ChangeUnitAttributes
if_Date=9/1/1941
if_Country=4
if_Alliance=Allies
lifespan=tillTrigger
targetCountry=4
unitID=4
stats=36,4,2,2,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,4,5,1,60,180,1,1
text=The USSR continues to reorganize their military introducting Tank Brigades inside their armies due to the failure of existing Mechanized corps organization. Tanks and Oil Use are increased by 1.
addReportTo=Allies
$End

The following is from the vanilla version but I am adding events by execution time order

//USSR air units increase in values as 1933 I-15s and I-16s are replaced with modern aircraft in 1942
$ChangeUnitAttributes
if_Date=1/1/1942
lifespan=tillTrigger
targetCountry=4
unitID=11
stats=20,0,0,0,0,7,2,0,1,0,1,2,7,2,6,180,180,1,1
text=The USSR replaces obsolete fighters in noticable amounts. Air combat is increased to 7 and defense to 6 for air superiority groups.
$End

//USSR armies are upgraded with the introduction of Katyusha rocket artillery
$ChangeUnitAttributes
if_Date=2/1/1942
if_Country=4
if_Alliance=Allies
lifespan=tillTrigger
targetCountry=4
unitID=4
stats=36,4,2,3,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,4,5,1,60,180,1,1
text=USSR military introduces new Katyusha rocket artillery separate units in all existing infantry armies enhancing their indirect firepower. Artillery is increased by 1.
addReportTo=Allies
$End

//USSR armies are upgraded with the introduction of penal battalions
$ChangeUnitAttributes
if_Date=7/28/1942
if_Country=4
if_Alliance=Allies
lifespan=tillTrigger
targetCountry=4
unitID=4
stats=36,4,2,3,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,5,5,1,60,180,1,1
text=Defense Order N°227, Ni Shagu Nazad! (Not a Step Back!), aimed primarily at officers and policital commissars, was issued by Stalin to prevent any further unauthorized retreat. USSR infantry army units gain +1 defense.
addReportTo=Allies
$End
Last edited by ncc1701e on Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I am playing this in hotseat mode only. But the first event did not fired when it was Sept 1st, 1941.

Return to “WarPlan”