Opinion please

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

PanzerMike

Re: Opinion please

Post by PanzerMike »

Europe birds eye view
Attachments
Europa.png
Europa.png (5.77 MiB) Viewed 809 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

PanzerMike wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:00 am Since you like the new marshes, here is a close up
Thanks, Leningrad name is a little overlapping with the fortifications.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

I wish I had more control of text. Font, size, position, etc. Alas, it is very limited.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Winter 1940 and it is snowing. Can you tell the difference between snow and heavy snow at a glance? I tried to simulate the ground being covered in snow. Too much, too little?
Attachments
Winter 1940.png
Winter 1940.png (5.23 MiB) Viewed 753 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Antoher example of the Arctic weather. Rain and snow. The rain gives the hex a dark blueish appearance.
Ow, and road 50 is now on the map, as is the Finland road. The roads were used by the Germans, especially during their retreat in 1944 when Finland bailed out of the war and wanted them gone.
Attachments
Arctic.png
Arctic.png (3.27 MiB) Viewed 745 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

If only you could mod the postion of the number on the counters and stuff....
And change picture depending on the year or advancement....
If only
Attachments
Counter artwork.png
Counter artwork.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 706 times
If only 2.PNG
If only 2.PNG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 726 times
If only.PNG
If only.PNG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 734 times
Last edited by PanzerMike on Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

I prefer richer darker colors myself but can see this being a nice option for those who prefer ease of visuals.

I love your transparent unit mod and hope you can make this for War Plan Pacific one day!
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 694 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Leningrad and Moscow will be a little harder to take now.
Attachments
Fortifications.png
Fortifications.png (6.9 MiB) Viewed 653 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Wonderful, placenames are respected. Hope the map will evolve in this direction.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

I added new resources that can be put on the map. Used that for the Mozhaisk line for example. Small changes, nothing too radical. I am also making subtle changes to the AI. The fall of France will be a little easier, but Barbarossa will be a little harder. I also want to make sure that crucial places like Gibraltar are defended at all time. Same thing for Volkhov, east of Leningrad. The road of life needs to be defended to the utmost.

Am also looking for ways to get more action in periferal areas like North Africa. Bardia is added as a very small port (size 1) and the railway from Alexandria extend 2 more hexes (which is historical). So both parties can get a little closer to each other and hopefully that can lead to some more action there.

Am also looking at Malta, but I don't see how that can really be spiced up to be honest.
Attachments
Africa.png
Africa.png (3 MiB) Viewed 637 times
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I really like the look of the map that you posted at 8:00 AM on Sept 29. I also like the unit graphics except that I prefer the unit size to be shown using the standard designations such as XXX for corps and XX for divisions. I noticed that you have these designations on the air units but I don't think that is necessary. Are these modes available for download now?
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Another comment. I see that you have a Mark IV on the tank unit. As the tank and air units advance to higher tech levels I would change the graphic. For example, at 1944 tanks there should be a Tiger or Panther. For 1944 American air, it should be a Mustang.
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Ooops, I see you have already indicated that the picture on the unit would change as it's tech level advanced. What are those 2 dots on the air unit for? Is it the number of missions left?
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

No, unfortunately dynamically changing the graphics depending on advancement is NOT possible. The engine does not support it. I wish it was possible, seems like a relatively simple feature. It's just a lot of work for the modders to make all those different counters, hehehe. More control over the counters would be great in general. Some things are hard coded, like the position of the size of the unit or the reinforcement icon, etc They restrict what is possible (and some of the icons are not very pretty). Hopefully in WP2 there will be more possibilities.
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I couldn't find the mods you have pictured in your September posts in the Mods and Scenarios forum. Do you know when you will be releasing them. Specifically, the map shown in your September 9 post and the counter art shown in your October 1 (1st screen) post. Thanks.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

The counters are ready. If you want them I can put them up for grabs. Same for the map graphics.

The map itself is under construction. Changes to it are saved in the actual scenario file. I am making a modest mod with it, but it does have changes that will effect the actual play.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Ok, try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqu678xj9mo1q ... 8.zip?dl=0

If you use these, your map and counters will be transformed. If you see some goof on my part, let me know and I will correct it.

The new scenario file is under construction and I am playtesting and constantly adapting it. I have included a text file in this post, containing the current state of affairs. Check it out if you are interested. All comments welcome.

Update:
Use this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwbwy14dgacld ... 2.zip?dl=0

I have removed the file that was not needed just to avoid confusion.
Attachments
Europe 1939 PM Minimod.txt
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by PanzerMike on Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

What do you think about the Italian Mountain corps "problem"? There seems to be no reason to build anything other than Mountain corps as the Italians instead of regular Infantry corps. Makes perfect sense given the current stats, except I think it's rather cheesy.

I am thinking about restricting the build of these in my mod. Good idea?
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I want to make sure I am installing your unit and map mod correctly. I have also attached a screenshot of the mod that released some time back that we are currently using. The only graphic we did not use was your mod for convoy routes.
I extracted PM Graphics mod118 and these are the extracted files:
borders
control
logistics
movepath
ocean
resource
resource.org
rivers
terrain
tileFill
tiles
units
weather.

When I look at the files we have now in the 1939 Small Fleet Campaign Folder, they are the same as above but no resource.org and there is a file named supply which the PM Graphics mod 118 does not have. In addition we are using "units_NATO_plus_3d.

In summary, the new mod has a "resource.org" file while the current mod we are using has a "supply" file. I can't remember which file is for the convoy routes as we would like to keep the vanilla graphics.

Can you clarify all of the above? Thanks.
Attachments
current mod.png
current mod.png (2.25 MiB) Viewed 469 times
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

You can ignore the resource.org file. You can delete it, it shouldn't have been in the zip. Not that it does anything, the game ignores it.

Convoy routes, roads and railways are in the logistics file. So if you want the vanilla ones, just delete my logistics file, or rename it to for example _logistics. Then the game will just ignore that file.

The supply file is not needed in my mod. The vanilla supply icons will be used.

For good measure, your directory should look like what is shown in the picture.
Attachments
Dir content.PNG
Dir content.PNG (50.72 KiB) Viewed 459 times

Return to “WarPlan”