MicroUpdate 6.73

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

el cid again

MicroUpdate 6.73

Post by el cid again »

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

This update contains only scenario files: aircraft, group and location files.

Some aircraft in the pools at game start were incorrect because the types were for later in the war. All aircraft
slots were reviewed to address this. As with all reviews, a few things were also improved.

Osaka/Kure Location 246 had a non-functional device in slot 16. I thought it was a bad aircraft record, but it turned
out every aircraft failed to appear in that slot. I removed all data from the slot as a near term fix. It may or may not
be a code issue, but until I have time to test in depth, I regard it as unsafe to put ANY device in that slot.

Several group files were updated to correct or improve data.

C-47 aircraft production was reduced because I failed to account for updated types. As a result of 36 factory slots which will upgrade to C-48 A - although the correct maximum value should be 90, it was reduced to 54 so as not to duplicate those 36 when they upgrade. RHS uses the convention that Allied aircraft production for Pacific Theater Operations is 5% of the total for the type, unless the type is known to have been entirely used in the theater.
Last edited by el cid again on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 12 times in total.
hernanyork

Re: RHS Development Restart Evaluation Notice

Post by hernanyork »

great news
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Sid, wait a couple months :?:....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Where do we begin?

Maybe here
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... &start=840

Devices are not being produced rendering all scenarios unplayable.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Also, almost all squads in RHS have positive Penetration values, while in stock only one device (a late-war Soviet inf squads) has Penetration value of 1.
The discussion about Penetration and anti-armor values is here
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 3&t=361027
el cid again

Update 9.02

Post by el cid again »

This update has only scenario and pwhexe.dat files
Pwhexe.dat updats add the Mindinao River, correct a missing trail along a railroad in Manchukuo
(almost all railroads are also trails for ground movement by AE convention - the only exception is
overhead tramways in RHS) - and redoing the approaches to Singapore, shifting a blocked hexside
to better match map art.

The start of game pwhexe.dat (= 41WINTERpwhexe.dat) was redone, as were both the standard
and Japan Enhanced Scenario versions of 42SPRING, 42MONSOON and 42FALL. (I will add 1943 next time).
The Scenario files concentrated on editing land units, syncing them with their formations if any, and adding
commanding officers. As well, some numbered generic CO's were replaced by named ones when these could be
determined.

All six working scenarios are updated (121-126 and 129). 126 was also updated, so I would not need to remember
all the things I did later for units that still exist in 1945. Only 125 (Empire of the Sun by me) and 129 (Total War Option
by Mifune) had major updates in unit locations. These Japan Enhanced Scenarios still suffer the problem of operational
surprise when the war begins (it is structural in code), but they are more aware of the possibility of war because of much
more enemy preparation being observed. Mainly units are combined from fragments and better located.
Sid

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8TyER ... sp=sharing
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Yaab wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:41 am Where do we begin?

Maybe here

At source, so many devices are produced I decided to monitor the total fields, for fear a long game might crash from overflow errors. Not sure why you are asserting they do not produce, because they do. By two different mechanisms. Japan (only) can produce them (if the economy is up to it). Both sides can get more devices if the scenario includes a production rate for them: you get number assigned/30 per day. Some devices are generic and available to both sides -
see for example "support" - but it appears that only the Allies get such devices out of the pool. It looks like Japan must build them (which is reasonable, so this is not a complaint).
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Apparently the last link was for the wrong file. This one is for the entire installer package. I discovered O-19 class subs have a range of 1,000 (10% of actual),
so this is fixed. Scenario files updated include aircraft, class, devices, groups, locations and ships. All 1941 and 1942 pwhex.dat files are updated, both
standard and JES versions.

Sid
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

RHS Development Restart Evaluation Notice
Post by el cid again » Fri May 13, 2022 5:58 pm

This update only updated scenario files: Class, Ship, Location and Headquarters (Leaders).

ALL files are here present for ALL RHS scenarios.

Scenario 126 cannot work yet; it is set in 1945 and has many slots needing review.

Scenarios 121-126 & 129 are playable from this upload and going forward.

Review of locations, leaders, ships and classes corrected eratta.
Last edited by el cid again on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

el cid again wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:37 pm
Yaab wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:41 am Where do we begin?

Maybe here

At source, so many devices are produced I decided to monitor the total fields, for fear a long game might crash from overflow errors. Not sure why you are asserting they do not produce, because they do. By two different mechanisms. Japan (only) can produce them (if the economy is up to it). Both sides can get more devices if the scenario includes a production rate for them: you get number assigned/30 per day. Some devices are generic and available to both sides -
see for example "support" - but it appears that only the Allies get such devices out of the pool. It looks like Japan must build them (which is reasonable, so this is not a complaint).
In the Editor, each device has a data field called " Can Build" which can be set to 00-No or 01-Yes. Allied devices in RHS scenarios are set to "Can Build" 00-No. Thus, even though an Allied device has a Build Rate set to a positive value between 1 to 9999 in the RHS scenarios, the device is not being produced in a given scenario, when the device's "Can Build" field is set to 00-No.

I have used your RHS scen 122 as the testing ground and I can attest the Allied devices are not being produced but for Mot Support, Aviation Support, Naval Support, etc., all which have their "Can Build" field set to 01-Yes. I would love the play your scenarios in earnest, but right now it makes zero sense to do so, which is a pity since you have put an INSANE amount of work into them.
el cid again

Allied device production

Post by el cid again »

Yaab:
While you can set a device production field to YES for an Allied device, code NEVER produces Allied devices as such. A device for both sides may be set to YES, but only Japan ever produces them - if its HI points and other conditions permit. The production rate for an Allied device is defined in the editor. This is monthly production - nominal actual production is supposed to be 1/30th of that value. [It clearly never exceeds that value, but it may sometimes be less]. Japanese only devices and devices used by both sides are similar - you may define a rate which is implemented on a divide by 30 basis.
Generally, Japan should not be given "free" production - but for some purposes - if no HI points are involved - it may be useful. But Allied production is ALWAYS replacement production, unless you "cheat" (load the devices on a convoy - see high level slots in the location file for stock use of this technique).
el cid again

Re: RHS Development Thread: Last Call for Eratta

Post by el cid again »

This is a semi-final update of scenario files, I will now review the "actual map" from the game point of view -
the pwhexe.dat files. There are 26 of these in RHS (in two species - historical scenario and Japan Enhanced
scenario forms - one for every season of the war in each series - this permits both construction and deconstruction
of roads and railroads - and also seasonal effects such as secondary roads disappearing in monsoon in some areas -
and secondary roads becoming trails in in other areas - as appropriate to the area and the season.]

I will fold in any eratta reported and look at implementing any suggestions during this final review. Scenarios 121-125 and
129 are all playable now. 126 is likely to be in development for years, but it is always updated to some extent when I look at slots - in the hope some day we will convert them all to 1945 form (or direct them not to appear with 9999 in the
date field).
el cid again

Re: RHS Development Thread: Last Call for Eratta

Post by el cid again »

Reissued semi final edition and request for comments and eratta. Will issue the final form Monday.

This is done to correct errors in pwhexe.dat files and in scenario files which are too important to wait.
Two of the pwhexe files were for the wrong season. As well, most Allied HQ now have been made less
efficient by adding staff squads to them, just as the Axis have. There were a LOT of Allied HQ!
el cid again

Re: RHS Development Thread: A missing Allied "army"

Post by el cid again »

This new link is NOT fully functional. On review, I found

1) The 1942 seasonal pwhex file for Japan Enhanced Scenarios was built on the wrong ice data - so I must rebuild it (on top of the 1941 file).

2) The locations of Allied units in Malaya in Scenarios 121 and 123 (which are identical except that 121 has active Russians while 123 has passive Russians) - use some material from the 1944-5 time frame.

3) Nobody noticed a missing Allied power: Nepal. THe Gurkha's are considered to be the best troops in WW2. Nepal had been uncooperative with other Allied nations until they feared Japan would invade (which, apparently, it never intended to do). Nepal requested to join the fight in 1942 and, after intensely training, sent three battalions in 1944. 13 other battalions remained to defend Nepal. One of these served in construction, the other two were classical light infantry. Not big on heavy weapons, they depend on the basic, old school concepts of walking infantry,
augmented by their lungs, which are conditioned by the mountains rendering superior soldiers at all altitudes.

If you are into sea stories, I was one of sailors inducted into the Seventh Duke of Edinburg's Own Gurkha Rifles in 1968 because of an incident which "impuned the honor of the regiment" which we had helped mitigate, and as active duty allied soldiers, that was deemed appropriate. Part of a stadium in Kowloon had collapsed, and we had spent most of the night in triage because the narrow roads prevented a rapid evacuation of so many casualties. We ruined our uniforms and broke cerfew, which was midnight for liberty Allied soldiers in that time and place. Because of that,
I have studied the history of these peculiar soldiers, generally considered to be the world's best. They are part of British, Indian and Nepal forces to this day.

I will issue an update when it is finished.

Sid
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

This update includes pwhexe.dat files and scenario files.

I host of minor tests were made to minimize the risk of things that cannot be fixed after a game starts. These
resulted in numbers of technical corrections. For example, although the people in the Soviet puppet regime running
Sinkiang in 1941 scenarios are ethnic Chinese (and also migrants from Manchuria who took over the area after being
driven out by the IJA), they must be classified as Soviet, and their commanders must be classified as Soviet, to
work properly). Significant numbers of officers were created or edited. There are tens of thousands of officers, created
by many players, not all of whom used the same standards or understood how to assign them. For example, it appears
that "large ground unit" in fact means "division or above" to code - while "small ground unit" means "brigade or below" -
although this has nothing to do with rank per se. You may assign any officer to any unit - suitable or not. Only if that
officer needs to be reassigned does it matter: what options are then listed for a different unit will be defined by the
code definitions, not what players or modders think code means, or what is written in manuals or in the forum. The sheer number of officers in the database prevents reviewing all of them in a reasonable time, so the issues were only mitigated, not cured. Vast numbers of other things were reviewed, and the differences between scenarios continue to grow.

As always, report eratta or suggestions. Some things can be changed in ongoing games (e.g. devices), others will only
apply to new game starts. Either way, we will continue to fold in both additions and corrections.

For help call Mifune in the Eastern Time Zone at 561 633 3867
or Sid in the Alaska Time Zone at 907 272 8251 (land line)
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The link now will access updated aircraft, location, leader and ship files to deal with minor reported eratta. Mifune will
use these files for his game start.

Sid

This update includes pwhexe.dat files and scenario files.
I host of minor tests were made to minimize the risk of things that cannot be fixed after a game starts. These
resulted in numbers of technical corrections. For example, although the people in the Soviet puppet regime running
Sinkiang in 1941 scenarios are ethnic Chinese (and also migrants from Manchuria who took over the area after being
driven out by the IJA), they must be classified as Soviet, and their commanders must be classified as Soviet, to
work properly). Significant numbers of officers were created or edited. There are tens of thousands of officers, created
by many players, not all of whom used the same standards or understood how to assign them. For example, it appears
that "large ground unit" in fact means "division or above" to code - while "small ground unit" means "brigade or below" -
although this has nothing to do with rank per se. You may assign any officer to any unit - suitable or not. Only if that
officer needs to be reassigned does it matter: what options are then listed for a different unit will be defined by the
code definitions, not what players or modders think code means, or what is written in manuals or in the forum. The sheer
number of officers in the database prevents reviewing all of them in a reasonable time, so the issues were only mitigated,
not cured. Vast numbers of other things were reviewed, and the differences between scenarios continue to grow.
As always, report eratta or suggestions. Some things can be changed in ongoing games (e.g. devices), others will only
apply to new game starts. Either way, we will continue to fold in both additions and corrections.

For help call Mifune in the Eastern Time Zone at 561 633 3867
or Sid in the Alaska Time Zone at 907 272 8251 (land line)
el cid again

Re: MicroUpdate 6.73

Post by el cid again »

This update contains only scenario files: aircraft, group and location files.

Some aircraft in the pools at game start were incorrect because the types were for later in the war. All aircraft
slots were reviewed to address this. As with all reviews, a few things were also improved.

Osaka/Kure Location 246 had a non-functional device in slot 16. I thought it was a bad aircraft record, but it turned
out every aircraft failed to appear in that slot. I removed all data from the slot as a near term fix. It may or may not
be a code issue, but until I have time to test in depth, I regard it as unsafe to put ANY device in that slot.

Several group files were updated to correct or improve data.

C-47 aircraft production was reduced because I failed to account for updated types. As a result of 36 factory slots which will upgrade to C-48 A - although the correct maximum value should be 90, it was reduced to 54 so as not to duplicate those 36 when they upgrade. RHS uses the convention that Allied aircraft production for Pacific Theater Operations is 5% of the total for the type, unless the type is known to have been entirely used in the theater.
Lam0ttePicquet

Re: MicroUpdate 6.73

Post by Lam0ttePicquet »

Hi Sid,
With the latest pwhexe file (JES Monsoon 42), TF cannot move to or from Aden. Something you have corrected in the past but has been reintroduced.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”