Patch 07 unofficial data scen updates

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: Patch 07 unofficial data scen updates errors

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Exinfernis

I seem to be unable to run the file as is. How do I delete the .zip ending? - excuse the ignorance.

@btd64

I intend to update Scen 10 - Ironman(stock) to firstly the latest unofficial version of Andy's, then overlay that with the Nasty variant (vs. Japan AI). I am up to scratch with the latest Beta.
Open Windows Explorer (the file system) and find the file. Then highlight the file extension .zip and change it to .exe. Save, answering yes or OK to the pop-up warning about "making the file unusable - do you want to proceed?".
Then try running the renamed file.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
XTRG

Post by XTRG »

I'm having issues with the opening scen 1's download folder.

" Windows Cannot open the folder.

The Compressed (Zipped) Folder 'C:Users\xxxxxx\Desktop\.exe.zip' is invalid. "

Can't seem to open the Archived folder, does someone have a new download link for it?.

Cheers in advance.

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: XTRG

I'm having issues with the opening scen 1's download folder.

" Windows Cannot open the folder.

The Compressed (Zipped) Folder 'C:Users\xxxxxx\Desktop\.exe.zip' is invalid. "

Can't seem to open the Archived folder, does someone have a new download link for it?.

Cheers in advance.

Follow directions and remove the .zip from the file name and then run it.
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

Returning to AE after some absence (3 years, come on that's not that long) - and spent about an hour struggling to fix
the file types here for download using Windows 10 etc. Apparently Windows 10 does not allow you to easily
change a file type (even using the properties/Details panel pretty useless), and the Explorer Edge that comes
with Windows 10 doesn't allow you to change file type on a save. Also, I found it difficult to download an older
Internet Explorer browser and gave up after trying for some time. In the end I did figure out a way to get the execs to work,

By taking these steps:

1. Download the file however you wish. The file type will appear as .zip even though it is actually an .exe (Therefore unzipping/extracting doesn't work.)
2. In Windows 10, open your Windows PowerShell (I believe it comes with Windows 10) If it doesn't, download PowerShell, it's an old school command line interpreter.
3. Use the command "ren" to rename the file from (original_name).zip to (new_name).exe. Make sure you change the type from .zip to .exe
4. When you do the rename you will see the file icon in Windows change from zip to an exe icon
5. You can then run the exe file. Note, the default location the exe will dump all your files into the Matrix main directory (not SCEN) directory, so
you probably want to change it to somewhere more convenient.

Hope this helps.

ps: thx to Andy Mac for all the improvement he did to the scenarios. Looking forward to trying them out.
amon15

Post by amon15 »

I have the updated Guadalcanal scen, and it looks like some of the jap units have units missing in their TOE, is there a way to fix this?

NVM! Already found the solution! :)
Attachments
NewBitmapImage.jpg
NewBitmapImage.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 534 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yes. Open the original Guadalcanal scenario with the Editor, find the units by unit number and make a note of the device numbers that are in each slot, and how many are held including (unserviceable) devices.

Without closing that scenario, open the new one for Guadalcanal, go to the same units and just type in the device numbers in the appropriate slots and set the quantities as required. Save the scenario before trying it out.

If the update of the scenario included changing the Japanese unit TOEs, you will have to go back to the scenario source to get the data for the Japanese units.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
boldrobot

Post by boldrobot »

Is the download link for Scenario 2 correct? The file I get from the link in post that says "Scen 2" seems to be for Scenario 11.

e: nevermind, must have been using the wrong executable, I got it to work (if the last modified date on the files in the scenario folder is ~2012 then it was updated, right?)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I believe the last official update (1124) was dated in 2012. If that is what you intended to download all is likely well.

If you were trying to download some player-designed scenario, you would have to post more details for anyone to help.
boldrobot

RE: Patch 07 unofficial data scen updates

Post by boldrobot »

I'm trying to get the updated scenarios that Andy Mac posted on the first page.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: boldrobot

OK, now I see what you are working on. Although Andy Mac does not say it, I presume his updates overwrite some of the code and data, but not all of it. That means you would have to have installed at least up to version 1124 before installing Andy's modified Betas. If you have done that and your original problem has gone away, all should be well. Good luck, and please post some feedback on the updated scripts. Some of us might use the Andy Mac versions if they seem to make playing more fun/interesting (a subjective judgement to be sure).
boldrobot

Post by boldrobot »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: boldrobot

OK, now I see what you are working on. Although Andy Mac does not say it, I presume his updates overwrite some of the code and data, but not all of it. That means you would have to have installed at least up to version 1124 before installing Andy's modified Betas. If you have done that and your original problem has gone away, all should be well. Good luck, and please post some feedback on the updated scripts. Some of us might use the Andy Mac versions if they seem to make playing more fun/interesting (a subjective judgement to be sure).

Thanks. I installed the 1124 update and also the 1126b beta, and then installed the AndyMac Scen 2. So, it sounds like it should be updated, even though there isn't really any way to verify that in-game. I'll report back. Gonna try Scen 2 on Hard, hoping it will make for a more challenging game than my stock 1124 Scen 1 game, which was fun but ultimately not all that difficult.
hooraysimpsons

Post by hooraysimpsons »

Newbie question that I think I know the answer to:
I patched and updated to public beta. Then started a Dec 8th full campaign. I haven't run any turns yet but am almost all the way through putting orders in using Kulls spreadsheet as a guide (thanks). Can I still update the scenario data or will I need to start over?
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

To pick up scenario data changes you would have to start over. Once you start a game from the scenario "template" everything is contained within the game save file.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
hooraysimpsons

Post by hooraysimpsons »

thank you
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Bump...
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Bump...
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

If you download these files as a zip and can't change the file type using rename, right click on the file. Go to the Properties and change the .zip to .exe. You will receive a prompt notice that changing the file type might make it unusable and do you want to continue. Click yes and the Properties close, then you can run the installer.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

thephalanx1453

Post by thephalanx1453 »

Hi, new player here. What do these scenario updates have to do with Da Big Babes scenarios?

A lot of map mods I downloaded mention something like "Da Big Babes scenarios", are they the ones in this thread? When I use a map mod, for example Yamato Damashii, should I use the stock version or the extended version?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: thephalanx1453

Hi, new player here. What do these scenario updates have to do with Da Big Babes scenarios?

A lot of map mods I downloaded mention something like "Da Big Babes scenarios", are they the ones in this thread? When I use a map mod, for example Yamato Damashii, should I use the stock version or the extended version?
DBB is a mod that has it's own website for downloading the files. One of its pages offers the maps in four versions - Stock or Extended combined with No Stacking (original) and Stacking Limits (modded) versions.

It does not include the artwork like Yamato Daishi that I am aware of, but if you search that phrase on the forum you should find a link to the map art files.

Keep in mind that the map artworks is just there to please your eyes. The computer program only looks at the code that defines what is in each hex. You can see some of that when you use the "r" key to show the road structure that the computer works with, or the "y" key for railroads. The F6 key will show the hex side physical structure - whether it is passable by land or sea or both or neither. The 1 key shows terrain and IIRC the 4 key shows country code.

Other stuff like the size of the base and industry there is defined in the Database, not in the map code.

You will see some stuff on threads here about updated AI files for the base game. I don't know if the DBB mod will work with the updated AI files. Most mods only affect the Database (as I understand it) and changes to the AI (that does the calculations based on database figures) should not affect the ability of the mod to run - but I am not a programmer and can't say for sure that there are no conflicts.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: thephalanx1453

Nothing

A lot of map mods I downloaded mention something like "Da Big Babes scenarios", are they the ones in this thread?

No.

When I use a map mod, for example Yamato Damashii, should I use the stock version or the extended version?

Neither. The scenario will specify if the extended map version is required. Otherwise it is the standard version.

Alfred

Return to “Tech Support”