Slow Performance?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BattleKitten

Re: Slow Performance?

Post by BattleKitten »

Another person with a new Windows laptop. -deepColor was the flag that fixed the slowness for me.
WillpowerDisturbance

Post by WillpowerDisturbance »

The following worked well for me:

"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -px1920 -py1080 -fixedArt -skipVideo -multiaudio -dd_sw -cpu3 -fd

It also could have been the shortcut was going to the autorun, but either way the game runs great now!
spence

Post by spence »

I just got a new computer AFTER the November 2022 update to the Beta (everything worked fine on my previous computer with just a -w on said line). It seems that I can no longer add ANY switches to the Target Line when I click on Properties for said page. So how do I fix the terrible lag now?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

In the thread on the new public Beta there is a comment about needing to put the switches in the "launcher shortcut" rather than a shortcut pointing directly to the new game .exe file. The way I read it is that there is no "Target" field in the properties of the latter shortcut but there is one in the launcher.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
kaybayray

Post by kaybayray »

<S> All
Having the same problem. Might have it fixed thanks to all of you contributing here. I am a long time Matrix Gamer. Love their games.

Ok, I fiddeled with many things but think I have it working ok. Below is my pasted command lines. Being a Retired Engineer I ask "What If" quite often. So after reading through these posts I thought, what if there is a difference in the shortcut that was created when I installed the game and the one in the folder? Well, there is. The one created by the install had the "autorun.exe" included in it. The one in the folder did not. So I tried the one in the folder and got it running right away with the below command line.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -deepColor -dual

Working with the command line in the shortcut created with the install, my changes did not work. Here is the FLAWED Command line.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -altFont -deepColor -dual

As one poster pointed out, the autorun.exe needed to be removed.

Also I run an Intel Core 2 with an Nvidia card I think a 1663 GTX or something. Its relatively new. I can post the specifics if anybody wants it.

I will see if this is the complete fix.

Thanks All,

KayBay
It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Glad to hear you worked through it kaybayray! Enjoy the game!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bozman

Post by Bozman »

I've never been impressed by the performance of this game, and this beta appears to be no better (for me). As per other posts, I'm not a computer expert and am uninterested in becoming one. I should have requested a refund after my initial purchase. I read the readme file, but it isn't clear how and where to modify the switches necessary to improve performance. Once more, I relegate this to the e-shelf...
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Bozman wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:27 pm I've never been impressed by the performance of this game, and this beta appears to be no better (for me). As per other posts, I'm not a computer expert and am uninterested in becoming one. I should have requested a refund after my initial purchase. I read the readme file, but it isn't clear how and where to modify the switches necessary to improve performance. Once more, I relegate this to the e-shelf...
You make the switches on the shortcut or let Seabee do it for you.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
&#8213; Julia Child

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Bozman wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:27 pm I've never been impressed by the performance of this game, and this beta appears to be no better (for me). As per other posts, I'm not a computer expert and am uninterested in becoming one. I should have requested a refund after my initial purchase. I read the readme file, but it isn't clear how and where to modify the switches necessary to improve performance. Once more, I relegate this to the e-shelf...
I found the whole switches thing daunting too when I first started the game but forumites walked me through it and once I understood what the did and where they go, the rest was easy. There is an entire thread on "Slow Performance" where forumites posted screenshots illustrating exactly what you must do with detailed explanations. If reading multiple posts is not your thing, try Seabee Alpha as RJ suggested. It automates the picky typing part but you still have to have an idea what switches you think you need and willingness to experiment until it works well. This game is worth the setup effort!
Bozman

Post by Bozman »

I finally took the time to read the manual that was provided with the update, and the lights came on. I appreciate the support both from Matrix/Slitherine and the fans of this game. It's a pretty daunting game platform, but I'm getting the hang of it. I had mastered Pacific War, but this is a much deeper simulation.
SteeleGriffon

Post by SteeleGriffon »

Hi all -

I'm new to WiPT-AE but love it as I'm an old naval combat systems officer (dad (I think he lied about his age to join) served in WW2 Army Air Corps preparing for the invasion of Japan). I too was experiencing slow performance, quirky scrolling and of all things a blown-up/improperly sized map.

The default installer gave me the "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" path in the screen shortcut.

When I replaced it with "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" all my problems disappeared and it runs fast/clean/properly sized etc.

Thank y'all for helping out old salts (read IT noobs) like me. Keep up the good work/support for a great wargame simulation.

SG
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Bozman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:21 pm I finally took the time to read the manual that was provided with the update, and the lights came on. I appreciate the support both from Matrix/Slitherine and the fans of this game. It's a pretty daunting game platform, but I'm getting the hang of it. I had mastered Pacific War, but this is a much deeper simulation.
It is much deeper and yes, reading the manual for games like this is really helpful.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
&#8213; Julia Child

btd64

Post by btd64 »

RangerJoe wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm
Bozman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:21 pm I finally took the time to read the manual that was provided with the update, and the lights came on. I appreciate the support both from Matrix/Slitherine and the fans of this game. It's a pretty daunting game platform, but I'm getting the hang of it. I had mastered Pacific War, but this is a much deeper simulation.
It is much deeper and yes, reading the manual for games like this is really helpful.
If you're talking about the new update manual, you have myself, Andy Mac and Andrew Brown to thank for the switch section. Even though I did most of the typing 😁....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
mooreshawnm

Re: RE: Slow Performance?

Post by mooreshawnm »

spence wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm I'm using Windows 10. My command line is as follows:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -deepColor

Everything works fine without any delay in scroll or when selecting units.
I actually had this running smoothly on a desktop at one point. I have been trying off and on to get it to run smoothly for 10 years. Like every 6-12 mo I will go in and play w switches but always fail and give up. I tried the one above minus the beta 2 and boom! It works smoothly! Finally my first grand campaign in a decade. Goodbye DOSBOX.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I just had to replace my monitor and the game was crawling when trying to scroll across the map. I checked the monitor settings and changed my switch lines to -px1920 -py1080 to match the monitor's native setting and it scrolls just fine. The problem is that the map - and especially all the icons, symbols, etc - is now too small for these old eyes to see without tremendous strain.

Does anybody have an idea as to how to adjust this?
fair winds,
Brad
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

bradfordkay wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:27 pm Does anybody have an idea as to how to adjust this?
Here's a minor graphic mod that might help some.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 8&t=387192
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
fair winds,
Brad
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

It turns out that I am able to run the game with the -px1280 -py720 command line settings while keeping my main display at the recommended 1920x1080 resolution without a scrolling slowdown. The problem beforehand had been that I hadn't needed to define a resolution for the game as it worked fine with my previous monitor's native settings but with the new monitor's higher resolution it caused the game to creep.
fair winds,
Brad
Bella

Post by Bella »

I’m using Windows 11 with and i7 chip with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, at 2560x1440 Resolution.

Had the same slow scroll speed, button reaction. It was all solved by adding the deepColor switch to the desktop icon target line

Many thanks for all the help.

Return to “Tech Support”