Climb rate and increasing altitude

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

Climb rate and increasing altitude

Post by Yaab »

For purposes of air-to-air combat, is aircraft's climb rate in WITP:AE a constant value? Shouldn't the climb rate actually decrease with increasing altitude? Is it coded into air-to-air combat in WITP:AE? Just a random thought.
RangerJoe

Re: Climb rate and increasing altitude

Post by RangerJoe »

Probably constant since it would take a lot more effort to have it depend upon the altitude. Not to mention the wear and tear on the airframe, what state the engine is in (brand new, rebuilt, or old and tired) plus the simple thing of is the plane waxed or not? Waxing the plane actually increased the speed. All of that without the skill of the pilot being considered.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

That is a good question....no idea.

I had a developer drop into one of my AARs years back and I took away from his post that airspeed isn't constant by altitude. I recall he linked several very technical articles detailing this about the Thunderbolt for example.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”