Bad memory?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jim D Burns

Bad memory?

Post by Jim D Burns »

Been away from the game for many years, and have been perusing all the changes in the most recent beta download. I "thought" the ! symbol in a hex meant partisans were present, but many of the bases that have the ! over them do not have required garrison values listed for the base. Without a garrison value listed, as far as I recall that means no partisans are possible in the hex. So what does the ! actually mean and what does the color of it indicate for a base as it appears my memory is bad and I no longer remember what it is supposed to mean. Checked the manual but couldn't find it discussed under the map display section.
Trugrit

Re: Bad memory?

Post by Trugrit »

My memory is shot as well but even it was razor sharp there are some things I’ve
never figured out or taken the time to figure out in this game.

The yellow icon or special indicator on base or airfield:

Warning that the supply level is between the minimum amount necessary to meet
current operations and 2x the minimum amount.

How does the game figure “current operations”?
For me it means anything in/on the base or airfield that draws supply.

There is third color seen on the all bases screen….orange.
That is somewhere in between very low supply and yellow icon.

Take a look at the two bases shown. They are both orange but Puerto Princesa
Draws the yellow icon and Astoria does not. Based on supplies required.

In any case it is a good practice to open up the all bases screen and fast scroll
down looking for any change of color. Change of color usually means trouble
is here or on the way.

Also, just because base supply is in the white does not mean you are not in trouble.
While you are looking at the bases take a quick look at the difference between
supplies on hand and supplies required.

It helps if you know your geography…..is the base or airfield inland or on an isolated island.

Supply.jpg
Supply.jpg (202.76 KiB) Viewed 461 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Man Jim its been years since I seen you post.

We are all awaiting TruGrits massive colorized and fully visual manual for WITP-AE in interactive PDF format...
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Wow, thanks for the in depth answer. Looks like it's a new feature I've not seen before, hence my confusion. Been gone so long looks like I'll need to do a lot of reading to try and catch up with all the changes and new additions if I want to get back into WitP. Thanks again.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Trugrit: How does the game figure “current operations”?
For me it means anything in/on the base or airfield that draws supply.
The requirement is a running average of the last seven days (IIRC), so if you had combat in the hex during that time the supply requirements will be elevated. Otherwise, the base tries to keep 3X the requirements of all the units and the work they are doing - e.g. I think air training requires one point per aircraft per day. I am unsure of the rate of usage for building the base or forts, but I am pretty sure it increases with each level gained.
I try to sock in a large amount of supply (if the base is not likely to be taken by the enemy) and then not pay attention to it for a month to reduce the tedium.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Thanks BB,

You can always add important information that I have missed.

And….keep me on track if I should make a screw up.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”