LCU gets bigger without replacements?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

LCU gets bigger without replacements?

Post by Yaab »

Long story short.

Scen001v5, Allies

Turn 2: I use a flight of six DC-2 transport aircraft to move a detachment of Winnipeg Grenadiers Battalion from Hong Kong to empty Kwangchowan, so the latter that does not revert to Japanese control. Mission successful. Replacements are OFF for the Winnipeg in Kwangchowan

Turn 7: Japs capture Hong Kong destroying the Winnipeg battalion in the process. The Winnipeg detachment in Kwangchowan now becomes the parent unit. Replacements are OFF for the Winnipeg in Kwangchowan

Turn 13: A Chinese regiment arrives in Kwangchowan to relieve the Winnipeg detachment (now the parent unit), so the Canucks can be moved to Burma or India. Replacements are OFF for the Winnipeg in Kwangchowan. HOWEVER, when I look at the Winnipeg unit, the LCU has now MORE devices. How come? Instead of the original six devices I now have fourteen devices.

It probably got bigger when its parent unit died in HK. Is there any feature that augments detachments when their parent unit dies?
BBfanboy

Re: LCU gets bigger without replacements?

Post by BBfanboy »

The system that provides a limited number of replacements each month (if enough supply is present) would have replaced some of the HK losses.
I think turning off replacements in the unit page does stop filling out the unit's full TOE (if there is a shortfall) but does not stop casualty replacements.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Although I've not noticed this before I suspect not all of the elements in the parent unit in HK were destroyed in the HK capture, some escaped. Because you had a sub unit elsewhere these excaped elements made it to it?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

You can also buy back that unit by going to Intelligence/Score screen (hotkey I) and clicking button "Ground units destroyed".

You can buy some of the destroyed units back by paying Political Points.

I have soft spot for Canadian units, so I usually buy them back.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Well not yet, Sardaukar. The second screenshot shows the unit fragment at Kwangchowan has become the parent unit so it is not destroyed yet. But the advice about buy-backs is good!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I don't buy back any commonwealth units. Just select US, British, Canadian and Australian units....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I usually buy back all Base Forces I can. You can never have enough base forces. 8-)

Indian and US units are good buy-back since they do have enough replacements. British start to suffer from manpower shortages late at war, but usually you don't lose that many large British units anyway (well, you can...but not usually). :D
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

I move a ship there from HK, that also seems to stop the area flipping to Jap.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thread resurrection.

I think I have found the answer.

Once you create an LCU detachment, the detachment always has its replacement option greyed out. However, once its parent unit gets destroyed, the detachment now becomes the parent unit and automatically assumes the last active replacement option of its former parent.

I have just compared three saves in my latest restart.

Turn 5:
Winnipeg Battalion (parent in Hong Kong) has its Replacements ON.
Turn 6:
Winnipeg Battalion (parent) is destroyed in Hong Kong
Turn 7:
Winnipeg Battalion (detachment in Kwangchowan) automatically becomes the parent unit and has it Replacement option switched to ON without player input.

So detachments either assume parent's last recorded Replacement stance (ON or OFF) or automatically assume the ON option . This requires further testing.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”