Mine Warfare

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Xargun

Mine Warfare

Post by Xargun »

I used to believe that Minesweepers would only sweep the hex they are currently in, but I have been told that they will sweep all hexes around them - so in effect 7 hexes. Is this correct? Was this changed in a patch?

Also, if the above is true to Minesweepers, has the behavior of mine keepers (ACMs) been change as well ? I would love not to have to put an ACM in each port like I have in the past.

Xargun
Panjack

Re: Mine Warfare

Post by Panjack »

From page136 of manual (bold added):
6.6.2.1.1 MINESWEEPING.
Regular minesweeping TFs may be created both by a player and by the AI. When the AI
creates a Minesweeping TF, it may only include ships of a valid Minesweeping class. Regular
minesweeping TFs sweep 7 hexes; the hex they are in and the six surrounding hexes.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Coastal minesweepers are the exception, they only sweep the hex they are in. Which makes a big difference. Keep in mind that regular DMS or other larger minesweepers, because of the adjacent hex rule, could get sucked into a hex that you don't want them to be in, such as one with a LOT of coastal artillery.
BananaConvention

Post by BananaConvention »

dr.hal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 pm Coastal minesweepers are the exception, they only sweep the hex they are in. Which makes a big difference. Keep in mind that regular DMS or other larger minesweepers, because of the adjacent hex rule, could get sucked into a hex that you don't want them to be in, such as one with a LOT of coastal artillery.
AKA Bataan, the shredder of DMSs.
Jochen Heiden

My WitP Tutorial Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFaQ ... Q9HG1hSiAG

Join my WitP Discord! Over 560 members and growing DAILY!
https://discord.gg/v4A9STzW7R
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

BananaConvention wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm AKA Bataan, the shredder of DMSs.
Exactly or Singapore which is a graveyard for Jap ships trying to demine the area before Singapore falls!!!!
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Panjack wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:59 pm From page136 of manual (bold added):
6.6.2.1.1 MINESWEEPING.
Regular minesweeping TFs may be created both by a player and by the AI. When the AI
creates a Minesweeping TF, it may only include ships of a valid Minesweeping class. Regular
minesweeping TFs sweep 7 hexes; the hex they are in and the six surrounding hexes.
It still amazes me no matter how many times I have read the manual people always point things out I have missed !!

Xargun
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

But ACMs still only keep mines in their own port correct? Do they have to be disbanded to work? Or can they be in a TF ?

Xargun
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Xargun wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:29 pm But ACMs still only keep mines in their own port correct? Do they have to be disbanded to work? Or can they be in a TF ?

Xargun
I believe they must be disbanded in the port with mines that are in need of care AND the ships have to have fuel. This latter point is something often missed in that the ACMs can't tend to their mine "flock" if they don't have enough fuel. Every turn they are active they use some fuel..... If you forget to fuel them, you lose mines in that field.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

dr.hal wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:42 pm
Xargun wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:29 pm But ACMs still only keep mines in their own port correct? Do they have to be disbanded to work? Or can they be in a TF ?

Xargun
I believe they must be disbanded in the port with mines that are in need of care AND the ships have to have fuel. This latter point is something often missed in that the ACMs can't tend to their mine "flock" if they don't have enough fuel. Every turn they are active they use some fuel..... If you forget to fuel them, you lose mines in that field.
What the good doctor said is true. Also each ACM can maintain 160 mines. So you need more ACM's for larger fields....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

btd64 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm Also each ACM can maintain 160 mines. So you need more ACM's for larger fields....GP
GP I believe it's 150 mines per ACM. See 6.6.1.2.2 p.134 of the manual. Hal
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Thanks hal....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Thanks guys - that's how I thought ACMs worked but with my misunderstanding of mine sweepers I was hoping ACMs worked in a similar way - thus I wouldn't need as many in the Home Islands..

Xargun
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Xargun wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:12 pm Thanks guys - that's how I thought ACMs worked but with my misunderstanding of mine sweepers I was hoping ACMs worked in a similar way - thus I wouldn't need as many in the Home Islands..

Xargun
Glad to be of service. As a Japanese player, I convert a LOT of xAKLs on the first turn into ACMs because there are LOTS of Japanese locations that have mindfields that you do not want to deteriorate over time. Plus as a defensive measure you are going to want to lay defensive mines in captured locations, where ACMs are a must for maintenance. Thus the need for lots of ACMs (plus those xAKLs are pretty useless otherwise).
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Also, some Amc's can lay mines. Don't remember which ones but I do remember that they have an endurance of 4700....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Also remember that task forces move in sequence based on their TF number. Lower moves first.

So, if you suspect there are mines somewhere (e.g. IJN mines Bataan sea hex with submarine mines by default), create Minesweeping TF first. It won't be much of help if it moves after your other TF(s) go to harms way before it...

Learned that hard way...
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”