Skilled Pilot Selection

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Tanaka

Skilled Pilot Selection

Post by Tanaka »

If you have 12 planes in a squadron with 12 70 Experienced Pilots and you add 40 exp replacements does the game automatically send the 12 most experienced pilots to battle first or is it just random? In other words is it a bad idea to put in lower experienced pilots with highly skilled ones?

If the game does automatically do this is it better to just get as many pilots out there from the replacement pool to every single squadron on the map to get experience as fast as possible on turn one (mixing them because you have so many)or is it better to be more selective and never mix them but not getting as many pilots out there as possible and just having a few training squadrons only but tons left in the pool to not start getting quicker experience from turn 1?
Tanaka

RE: Skilled Pilot Preference

Post by Tanaka »

Also if you fill up that 12 plane squadron with 12 extra replacements if those extra 12 are without planes will they not train at all? I take it you need a plane per pilot for all pilots to train in the squadron?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The maximum needed for training is a ratio of more than 3 pilots per plane, but in my experience you can train pretty well if a 49 plane squadron only has 2 to 6 planes. Most training is done sitting at desks etc.

I've never had any problem having all fully trained and experienced crews in front line squadrons so I don't know what to tell you. Before you get dedicated training squadrons late in the war you need to have at least half your squadrons doing nothing but training. You cannot have all active squadrons actually exposed to the enemy. Initially I use transport squadrons for general training and graduate pilots to the reserve from there when they reach 50% experience and draw them from the transport reserve to fighter squadrons in training. IJA transport squadrons are not needed much early on so that's quite a few training slots. IJN transport squadrons are in great need most of the time so you won't be able to use them in that way. The IJN has an awful lot of float plane squadrons with little to do but act as training squadrons. If you resize them up to 24 planes by using Chitose and Chiyoda and the other two prior to converting them to CVLs (which you absolutely should do) you can create quite a lot of training slots.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

By the way, that's true for the Allied player as well - at least half the active squadrons must be used for training only. The Americans have quite a few restricted squadrons that might as well be doing that but you really can't afford to throw everything at the enemy. Try and keep the sorties down generally. You don't need to be dreaming up missions for those active front line squadrons every flipping day. Keep the fatigue and attrition to a minimum and save your strength for when it really really counts.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

On that training aircraft to pilot ratio - training squadrons require less aviation support even when the squadron is full of planes and most of the time a training squadron will not have any planes damaged or in maintenance because they aren't being used heavily. Get creative by upgrading training squadrons to aircraft types that are in short supply so that they aren't using all that many planes.

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The maximum needed for training is a ratio of more than 3 pilots per plane, but in my experience you can train pretty well if a 49 plane squadron only has 2 to 6 planes. Most training is done sitting at desks etc.

I've never had any problem having all fully trained and experienced crews in front line squadrons so I don't know what to tell you. Before you get dedicated training squadrons late in the war you need to have at least half your squadrons doing nothing but training. You cannot have all active squadrons actually exposed to the enemy. Initially I use transport squadrons for general training and graduate pilots to the reserve from there when they reach 50% experience and draw them from the transport reserve to fighter squadrons in training. IJA transport squadrons are not needed much early on so that's quite a few training slots. IJN transport squadrons are in great need most of the time so you won't be able to use them in that way. The IJN has an awful lot of float plane squadrons with little to do but act as training squadrons. If you resize them up to 24 planes by using Chitose and Chiyoda and the other two prior to converting them to CVLs (which you absolutely should do) you can create quite a lot of training slots.

Good to know thanks! If so then it does seem best to just fill out all first turn squadrons with all replacements from the pool immediately. Is it ever actually beneficial to have transports doing transport training? What does that even do?

I've been back and forth on the Chitose and Chiyoda and can't seem to find a consensus on what is best for those...
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

By the way, that's true for the Allied player as well - at least half the active squadrons must be used for training only. The Americans have quite a few restricted squadrons that might as well be doing that but you really can't afford to throw everything at the enemy. Try and keep the sorties down generally. You don't need to be dreaming up missions for those active front line squadrons every flipping day. Keep the fatigue and attrition to a minimum and save your strength for when it really really counts.

Then again it does seem best to just fill out all first turn squadrons with all replacements from the pool immediately.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

On that training aircraft to pilot ratio - training squadrons require less aviation support even when the squadron is full of planes and most of the time a training squadron will not have any planes damaged or in maintenance because they aren't being used heavily. Get creative by upgrading training squadrons to aircraft types that are in short supply so that they aren't using all that many planes.

Ah interesting so you say they only need 2-6 planes? Very interesting...
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Transport training can happen on the job. I generally use raw recruits as replacements. The only concern I would have is for airborne operations. I'd prefer to be dropping airborne troops with experienced pilots. But you're generally going to be using the long range IJN transports for that and most of your pilots will be experienced anyways.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Try to use older, non-front line aircraft for training purposes.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Try to use older, non-front line aircraft for training purposes.

Yeah makes sense thanks!
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Our lizard friend is a fountain of great advice from a vet.

In the GC - As the allied player you have 'squadrons' of USAAF 4th and 11th - bomber and fighter frames on the west coast for 41 onwards.

These are either fully or partially restricted and generally not worth 'buying out' as unrestricted squads come down the pipeline soon enough with better airframes. However maintaining them in older airframes - max out pilots - and train train train build you a fine USAAF pool. I prefer to play PDU off.

US Naval pilots are a bit more of a challenge; but the lizard has provided you good advice by rotating them through transportation units and Naval Search units ( the ones with float planes). The generally have Fighter Sweep and Ground attack as options to get your Naval pool going and down the road you will get USN replenishment and F6F squads to build up in late 43 /44
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Float planes can train on Sweep, Low Naval, and Strafe for fighters while they can train on Naval Bombing, Low Naval, Ground, ASW, and Naval Search for bombers. If you can afford to do so, the PBYs can train torpedo bomber pilots. But it may be best to put the torpedo squadrons ashore to train early in the game and to put US Marine fighter and dive bomber units on the aircraft carriers. Never, ever put US Marines air units on a Royal Naval carrier since those are wet and will be quickly dried out. If you put FAA air units on American carriers, they will complain because those are dry.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”