OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AW1Steve

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

HMS Hindustan
King Edward VII-class pre-dreadnought
I have never been much interested in pre-dreadnoughts so I would never have gotten the ship. But is that young officer Winston or Albert of Windsor - the future King George VI (I forget what the family's Germanic name was before it was changed to Windsor during WWI). The face also reminds me of Beatty, the commander of the largest group of British battlecruisers at Jutland.

The House of Hanover. Beatty had all the BCs. If you're referring to the Queen Elizabeths, they were BBs.

The Queen Elizabeth's were FAST battleships. So fast that they were attached to the Battle cruisers.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I have never been much interested in pre-dreadnoughts so I would never have gotten the ship. But is that young officer Winston or Albert of Windsor - the future King George VI (I forget what the family's Germanic name was before it was changed to Windsor during WWI). The face also reminds me of Beatty, the commander of the largest group of British battlecruisers at Jutland.

The House of Hanover. Beatty had all the BCs. If you're referring to the Queen Elizabeths, they were BBs.

The Queen Elizabeth's were FAST battleships. So fast that they were attached to the Battle cruisers.

They weren't fast enough, were they? Battle was pretty much over when they arrived, and the Boche didn't want to have any battle at all, really. Still, they got the better of it.

I love the QEIs, they were almost WWII ready. Fabulous ships.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Growing up in the Whittier hills with a whole string of outdoor cats (we would lose them to coyotes on a fairly regular basis), mockingbirds were pests. They would dive-bomb our cats while we were standing a foot away. A couple of our cats were decent hunters and could occasionally catch a mockingbird as s/he pulled out of the dive, but most tried to run and hide.

Coyotes have pretty much overrun most of Southern California in the past 15 years, even heavily populated areas. I nearly ran one over in the middle of the day on a residential street in San Marino. Tired of trash strewn all over the yard, my brother-in-law nailed one with an arrow in Whittier on a recent night; my sister made him clean up the blood (which trailed to a neighbors front yard) before anyone noticed. They couldn't find the body and it hasn't deterred any other coyotes.

Sounds like you have lived in my old neck of the woods most of your life. I grew up in Monterey Park. When I was a teenager I used to take drives around San Marino when I wanted to get away from my crazy mother.

We used to go out to Whittier to go to the Kodak warehouse all the time. My father was a professional photographer and sold supplies as a side business to other professional photographers. Kodak would deliver, but when he had a rush order we would have to go out to the warehouse and pick it up.

I didn't realize coyotes had become such a problem. They were rare when I was growing up. There was a flock of wild parrots in the neighborhood (escaped from an overturned exotic animals truck on the Pomona Freeway) and some massive lizards (up to three feet long), but the rest of the wildlife was pretty small.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

They weren't fast enough, were they? Battle was pretty much over when they arrived, and the Boche didn't want to have any battle at all, really. Still, they got the better of it.

Sorry guys, but the books I have read on Jutland all say that the Fifth Battle Squadron (QE BBs) arrived from the northwest just as Beatty's BCs ran into the main High Seas fleet and had to turn around and retreat toward the Grand Fleet to the north. Then Admiral Hood's BC squadron leading the Grand Fleet came down from the north to join the battle whilst Jellicoe deployed the Grand Fleet in a great arc, crossing the "T" on the High Seas Fleet. So the QEs and Hood's BCs were NOT part of Beatty's squadron of BCs.
Of course none of this helps identify the fresh-faced officer cornered by the mad dog ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Bill, are you telling us you inherited your moderator talents from your mother? [:'(]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

BBfanboy, that would be the future king Edward VIII.

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: RichMunn

Wales had a very good Baseball team, which often beat England (as it happens) in front of big crowds. Possibly an omen for the European Championships!

Not a patch on cricket, of course.....

[:D] [;)]
warspite1

What!? Baseball! In the UK! Whatever next? Fetch me my angry trousers - I'm madder than I've ever been [:@]

Re the football, I lay good money that Wales will beat England - especially if Rooney starts....

It would be great to see both qualify (and Northern Ireland) and for Gareth Bale to have a fantastic tournament.
Was this a late April fools'? Rooney can not possibly be considered to play for the National Team?!
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Well I came close, naming his brother Albert ("Bertie") instead of Eddie. Didn't know Eddie #8 did time in the navy, but I guess George V would have insisted on it!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Wales had a very good Baseball team, which often beat England (as it happens) in front of big crowds. Possibly an omen for the European Championships!

warspite1

What!? Baseball! In the UK! Whatever next? Fetch me my angry trousers - I'm madder than I've ever been [:@]

Re the football, I lay good money that Wales will beat England - especially if Rooney starts....

It would be great to see both qualify (and Northern Ireland) and for Gareth Bale to have a fantastic tournament.
Was this a late April fools'? Rooney can not possibly be considered to play for the National Team?!

What does Mickey Rooney have to do with football?
Or Mara Rooney for that matter? [;)]

Attachments
girlwithth..ontattoo.jpg
girlwithth..ontattoo.jpg (156.73 KiB) Viewed 245 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The House of Hanover.
No – the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha – Edit: ah I see Zorch beat me to it
Beatty had all the BCs.

No he didn’t. The 3rd BCS was with Jellicoe and the 5th BS was with Beatty - therein lies a whole can of worms....
They weren't fast enough, were they? Battle was pretty much over when they arrived, and the Boche didn't want to have any battle at all, really.

No they were not as fast as designed and not as fast as the BC’s - but they were not designed to be as fast as the BC's.

No the battle was far from over when they arrived

No also not true – the Germans most definitely wanted a battle - that is why they were at sea. They didn't want a battle with the whole Grand Fleet - but during the opening phase they weren't aware the GF was in the vicinity.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

That wasn't the reason they were attached. It was a temporary expedient because the BC's were in dire need of gunnery practice (which they could not get in Rosyth). The 3rd BCS thus transferred to the Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow to allow this and Beatty got the 5th BS to fill the gap.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

Hodgson has said he is still his main man....

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Are you saying he's Hodgson's choice?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Are you saying he's Hodgson's choice?
warspite1

No not at all. Roy Hodgson's missus calls the shots and she's called Sophie. So its kind of Sophie's Choice.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Who gets killed?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sorry guys, but the books I have read on Jutland all say that the Fifth Battle Squadron (QE BBs) arrived from the northwest just as Beatty's BCs ran into the main High Seas fleet and had to turn around and retreat toward the Grand Fleet to the north. Then Admiral Hood's BC squadron leading the Grand Fleet came down from the north to join the battle whilst Jellicoe deployed the Grand Fleet in a great arc, crossing the "T" on the High Seas Fleet. So the QEs and Hood's BCs were NOT part of Beatty's squadron of BCs.
Of course none of this helps identify the fresh-faced officer cornered by the mad dog ...
warspite1

Sorry, not true. Hood's 3rd BCS was attached to the Grand Fleet (GF). Evan-Thomas's 5th Battle Squadron was attached to the Battlecruiser Fleet (BCF). The plan was that they would swap places when the two fleets rendezvoused,until then, the 3rd BS and the 5th BS were part of the GF and the BCF respectively. Of course the planned rendezvous didn't happen......and by the time the two fleets were re-united, three of the battlecruisers were at the bottom of the North Sea and one of the Queen Elizabeth's had taken 29 large calibre hits on her "death ride".

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Who gets killed?
warspite1

England. Not so much killed as mullered on the football pitch.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

warspite1

Sorry, not true. Hood's 3rd BCS was attached to the Grand Fleet (GF). Evan-Thomas's 5th Battle Squadron was attached to the Battlecruiser Fleet (BCF). The plan was that they would swap places when the two fleets rendezvoused,until then, the 3rd BS and the 5th BS were part of the GF and the BCF respectively. Of course the planned rendezvous didn't happen......and by the time the two fleets were re-united, three of the battlecruisers were at the bottom of the North Sea and one of the Queen Elizabeth's had taken 29 large calibre hits on her "death ride".
Beatty did lobby to have the QEs permanently attached to his force...suppose he had the 5 QEs instead of 6 BCs when he fought Hipper?
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

warspite1

What does Mickey Rooney have to do with football?
Or Mara Rooney for that matter? [;)]

I'll have you know that Ms. Mara (and her sister Kate) are the worthy descendants of the owners of 2 of the NFL's finest franchises - the New York Giants (Mara) and Pittsburgh Steelers (Rooney).
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

But he DID have four of the battleships (HMS Queen Elizabeth was in the dockyard as usual). Having lobbied hard for the 5th BS, Beatty was given command of the Squadron (albeit temporarily). But that is just the start of the controversy: where did he place the squadron originally? why did he not concentrate force when the Germans were first spotted? Why did Evan-Thomas not turn the 5th BS around quicker?

Is anyone interested in a separate Jutland thread to air some of the many, many points and controversies that surround the battle?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”