How to Start a PBeM -UPDATED

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Admiral DadMan

RE: How to Start a PBEM

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: tbridges

Is it necessary to actually run the Combat Save file?

I don't watch the combat animations. The graphics in this game are so juvenile that I feel like I'm playing a kiddie game from the '80s. That's OK because the graphics are not why I play this game. But I hate sitting there wasting time while the replay runs, hitting the escape key after every animation until its over and I can get to the actual game.

I'd much prefer to skip running the Combat Save entirely and just read the Combat Reports when I start the game. Can that be done?
As the Japanese Player, it is already hardcoded in once you receive the turn from the Allied Player. As the Allied Player, you don't have to because it's a separate file, but then you don't get the combat reports...
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

edited away.
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

It is overwritten if you are playing another PBEM opponent, or if you are playing a game against each other with different versions, this can cause a problem as well. I am not certain however is the player VS AI game also overwrites that save.

Example if someone is using the beta patch and another isnt, this will cause things to appear differently to each player.

Best I can do in respect to a answer.

I notice that the Combat Reports I get when my Jap opponent sends me his Combat Save are different than the ones I get when I start my turn after he send me his actual Game Save.

Is this normal? FOW at work, or...?
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I notice that the Combat Reports I get when my Jap opponent sends me his Combat Save are different than the ones I get when I start my turn after he send me his actual Game Save.

Is this normal? FOW at work, or...?
This is due to FoW.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

Thanks again, appreciate the info.
Tom

The easy way is always mined...
SunDowner

Post by SunDowner »

PBEM
AkomoCombine

Post by AkomoCombine »

Hmm, does my opponent have to have a seperate copy of the game also or can one copy be used for PBEM?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

He has to have his own copy (pay for his own serial number). If you are both playing on the same computer then you can have one copy.
AkomoCombine

Post by AkomoCombine »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

He has to have his own copy (pay for his own serial number). If you are both playing on the same computer then you can have one copy.

OK thank you for info.
39battalion

Post by 39battalion »

Just started my first PBEM and I am following the instructions set out above by Admiral Dadman ( thank you sir ! )

My dumb question is : I am the Japanese player and I have removed my first turn save file ( wpae003.pws ) from my SAVE folder,zipped it up and sent it to my opponent. Do I need to leave a copy of wpae003.pws in my SAVE folder or just leave it empty of saved game files ?

When my opponent completes his turn and returns wpae003.pws to me and I load it I am not sure if the game needs to find my original saved game file wpae003.pws in the SAVE folder in order to proceed ?

Thanks
fcharton

Post by fcharton »

You don't need to keep a copy of the turn you just sent, you will not be able to open it after the turn is closed, and the turn sent by your opponent will replace it, anyway. It is a good idea, though, to make a copy of the turn you just received (post AAR if you play Japan), or, at least, not delete the email too soon. Not everything you do when playing a turn can be undone.

Francois
39battalion

Post by 39battalion »

Thanks Francois !
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

Am thinking of trying a PBEM game so am giving this a bump for any other PBEM virgins out there.

EDIT
yes i tried to bump a sticky doh!!!
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Is it possible ( and ethical )&nbsp;in the Dec 7 surprise with historic start on, to save the Japanese Dec 7 turn order phase before End Turn as a standard opening in new PBEM`s and just plug it into&nbsp;new games&nbsp;?
&nbsp;
As much as I`d like another campaign PBEM, I really don`t think I can do another&nbsp; 12+ &nbsp;hour J Dec 7 orders phase...
&nbsp;
R III
&nbsp;
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Yes it's possible, and historical first turn or not, I personally don't see anything ethically wrong with it. (With a historical first turn, though, all you're really doing is typing in a password anyway, so there's not really anything worth saving. I assume since you spent 12 hours on the turn that you meant to say that you were playing with historical first turn off?) With a non-historical start, you can always go back in and modify a few orders for the things you want to change for your next game without having to re-do the other 11 hours worth of work, but note that you will be stuck with any air transfers you ordered, and with loading orders for ships with troops, which will cut down on your flexibility to change things up in your next game. A decent compromise is to issue orders to all of your land units and air units (without transferring anything), then save this as your base start. You would still have 5 or 6 hours of work when you start a new game, but not your full 12, while still retaining the flexibility to alter things if you choose to go in a different direction in your next game.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

I have 2 PBEM going and the wpa001 overwrite each other since they have the same file name...and the wrong files get sent out what's the best way to avoid that...

(yes I am a PBEM transfer Dope[&:])

TIA

¯ Leo Tolstoy
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

I have 2 PBEM going and the wpa001 overwrite each other since they have the same file name...and the wrong files get sent out what's the best way to avoid that...

(yes I am a PBEM transfer Dope[&:])

TIA
Many of us use multiple folders for AE. You should search the forum to get the threads where various of us posted pics and lots of instructions, but basically:
- install AE
- Copy the whole folder tree
- rename the copy to be what you want
- set up shortcuts that point to the copy

Now you have a "separate installation" to use for another PBM. Be sure to install it's own copy of Tracker, Intel Monkey, etc. or you will run into problems similar to what you already described.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks, I will do that.

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I use multiple folders as well. Big part of why it took me an entire afternoon to get up and running for our game.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Yeah.... I just did that as well, better way to go & then get the command line switches up.

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I use multiple folders as well. Big part of why it took me an entire afternoon to get up and running for our game.

¯ Leo Tolstoy

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”