Problem starting game

mbrasher1

Problem starting game

Post by mbrasher1 »

I installed through Steam. I Click "Play" in Steam and then "Play" again when Steam's dialogue box come up. This launches the "Victory and Glory: Napoleon" launcher. I click "Play" and the screen goes black ofr some moments, and then returns to the Launcher. If I check Steam, it indicates that V&G:N is running, but when I click on the V&G:N icon, it gives me the option to click Play (again).

So it looks like something is not working properly. I can reinstall, but failing that, a, I doing something wrong?

Thanks
zakblood

RE: Problem starting game

Post by zakblood »

lets take a look,

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
mbrasher1

Post by mbrasher1 »

Here is the dxdiag. Thanks.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(80.77 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no game related crashes in the log, only this error i see, so unless anyone else finds anything,

Display Memory: 8150 MB
Dedicated Memory: 112 MB
Shared Memory: 8038 MB

Dedicated Memory is low for vga, as it's onboard chip, but 16gb or system ram is more than plenty, so re try with add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

and if that fails, then for me it's Dedicated Memory is low for vga / display for the game, as steam normally sets up all the permissions tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

It is possible that the game might be having trouble setting up the display. If it cannot find an acceptable configuration it simply logs that and dies.

Improving the shared memory for your graphics might improve things as zakblood suggested.

We can check this if you upload the game's log file. That is kept in the game's User Data directory. The path is something like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Victory and Glory Napoleon\User Data

The log file is called Napoleon Game Log.txt. Can you please attach this as you did the dxdiag report?

Thanks!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Grambo

Post by Grambo »

Having similar issues. Launches to black screen and stays there. Cannot even kill the process with Task Manager because I can't regain control of the screen focus. Log seems to show nothing:

Initializing application.
Build number = 82
The resolution of the timer is 1
Initializing Window
Setting Window Parameters
Set Window Parameters OK
Use Power Savings = true

(repeated each time I try to load)

DxDiag shows no issues either, not sure how to attach a file.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Well, I am sorry to hear about this problem. Please contact me at info@forcedmarchgames.com for assistance.

Please let me know: are you using the Steam version or the Matrix Games version?

If you could run dxdiag.exe and send me the results that might be helpful.

I do regret that you aren't able to play the game and I should be able to help you. Please email me at the address that I mentioned and I'll prepare a hotfix for you.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Norden_slith

Post by Norden_slith »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Grambo. It only happens if you have 2 screens (possibly more) connected.
Not the first time I've encountered this. Usually there is somewhere in a setupfile where one can change setting or one can run it windowed.

Help appreciated.
Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

First, you can try running the game using the OpenGL pipeline. To do that, navigate to the game's installation and find the file named "Opengl.vmoptions" in the support_files folder. Copy that file and paste it one directory up right next to Napoleon.exe and then rename Opengl.vmoptions to Napoleon.vmoptions. Then start the game up and see if everything is OK. You might need to make file extensions visible.

Now, since the problem is more of a multiple screens problem, you might want to experiment with changing the default screen, at least when you run the game.

If none of this works, please contact me at info <at> forcedmarchgames.com and I'll try to track the problem down.

Merely for information, let me say that the game does not have a windowed mode.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Norden_slith

Post by Norden_slith »

Thanks for your reply!

I've synced the monitors for now, as I want to play on the 27'' instead of the laptops 17''.

I'll try your recommendation now.

Norden
Hexagonally challenged
Norden_slith

Post by Norden_slith »

Aaand I'm back.
Works great, thank you! [&o]

Norden
Hexagonally challenged
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Thanks for your purchase of the game, and for letting me know how it turned out. [:)]
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Return to “Tech Support”