Russia entering war while Austria and Prussia at peace? Devs

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
lt1956_slith

Russia entering war while Austria and Prussia at peace? Devs

Post by lt1956_slith »

Hello,

I know another patch may never be in the works, though I hope it is, but I found something really odd, especially when playing the 1800 Campaign. Its possible for Russia to be at war while Austria and Prussia are at peace, which doesn't make sense, since both would no allow armies to pass through the lands. Would it not be better to make it so Russia will NOT enter into war with France, unless the following.

1. Austria or Prussia are at war with France. or
2. France declares war with Russia

I know and have used the Tilsit Card but you only get one of those cards and its possible for Russia to enter several times during the game after using that card. And since 2 objectives have to be taken to make peace it doesn't make much sense they way it is now.

Its just a suggestion I think would improve the game, the same would be with Spain, playing the 1800 Campaign Spain should not be able to go to war until a certain date. Right now how I avoid this is reloading a save so if the AI goes to war and redo until it doesn't.

Thanks again, I am enjoying the game. I wish the Corps reinforcement support card was always available for both sides, I think it would be nice if that was a permanent card like the Declare War Card.
mercenarius

Re: Russia entering war while Austria and Prussia at peace? Devs

Post by mercenarius »

First off, thanks for your kind words about the game!

Secondly, I do understand what you are saying here about Russia not being directly connected to the French Empire. However, in my opinion, this is part of the diplomatic landscape. France's only real diplomatic tool in the game is to beat the allies in war. If Russia is hostile, even if they cannot get at France, that is just part of the challenge. You may have to declare war yourself (on Austria or Prussia) or just live with Russia giving France an "angry gesture."

In the long run, it seems to me that the only practical way to dominate eastern Europe is to play the Prussia Prostrate card and then keep it garrisoned with a good army.

Alternately, you can knock Britain out of the war, but that's hard unless you plan for it and choose your resources and event cards very wisely. That's a different conversation, admittedly.

I will mention your points to Glenn Drover and see what he says.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
lt1956_slith

Re: Russia entering war while Austria and Prussia at peace? Devs

Post by lt1956_slith »

Thank you that would be nice.

Also if there is a tweak to the Guard units maybe a card that allows you to change one of your guard units into an old guard giving them a level 6. I would prefer to keep a reserve guard like that for Napoleon, problem is I can really only get the guard up to 5. It takes a lot of fighting to get a unit to level up and most likely they will be destroyed before then. The Old guard was Elite already and would make sense to be the highest.

also The Guard Cavalry would be great, maybe a card that gives you a unit like the Guard Artillery?

If you can even add another selection for difficulty that would be great, I would love to see maybe an between Corporal and General, maybe call it colonel or something. Allow the extra recruitment of units, and 1 card per turn, but not the -1 for commanders and have the 12 units spawn for the revived nations. I think easy setting takes a little too far with the 6 unit spawn instead of the 12. But I liked the extra pool for recruitment.

Also on the 1800 campaign maybe allow more than 1 kingdom of Spain card, I used that card in about 1806-7 and about 1808 The AI moved 1 unit into the center and use the liberate Spain card on me, I had no other Kingdom card to use again, so I was stuck with Spain being a nation as normal which makes it hard to win without controlling Spain. I had this happen twice to me in my playing, both using the 1800 campaign.

Hope you are able to do another Patch, maybe add those Civil War features like Constant Terrain and Corps commanders, that would give me a reason to use the new commander card more. Right now with the game you really don't need all the commanders and there is never enough men for that many armies. I love the idea that was added to the Civil war version of your game.

This little Gem deserves those changes for sure, and I hope you release a new title later on another them. The Zulu wars is a theme that is rarely ever done..

P.S. A redoubt card would be great for the AI Russians to have, so you can have all spaces have a defense like Borodino

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”