Found a problem with England having 9 artillery units in 1 20 unit army

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
lt1956_slith

Found a problem with England having 9 artillery units in 1 20 unit army

Post by lt1956_slith »

Hello, I found something very wrong in one of my games. England Invaded in 1807 using the 1800 campaign. Problem is they had 9 artillery units. This was almost impossible to beat since they just clobbered the army before I could get to them.

They were the attackers also.

I was thinking wouldn't it be a good idea to limit the number of Artillery that can be in an army? 4-5 units are more than enough for a 20-25 unit army. I wish I took a picture to show you but is was obscene to see that many pieces in a 20 unit army. I am pretty sure you never intended that to happen?

Thanks again.
mercenarius

Re: Found a problem with England having 9 artillery units in 1 20 unit army

Post by mercenarius »

You seem to be getting more than your share of unusual results but it's only a random variation. The units that the AI gets in reinforcements are chosen randomly according to a formula. In the game that you have cited, the British got a disproportionate number of artillery units, apparently. This caused their army to have a composition that you won't normally see.

Did you try countering the artillery with cavalry? Just curious.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
lt1956_slith

Re: Found a problem with England having 9 artillery units in 1 20 unit army

Post by lt1956_slith »

They were level 2-4 Artillery, I only had about 5 units of Cavalry and they while they were able to take out a couple smaller cannon, they AI had the advantage to attack first so I suffered badly from it. I did take out some artillery though, but the battle was over before it begun. lol

I also was playing on General difficulty with no bonuses.

If you do make another patch a simple adjustment to limit the number of artillery to a more realistic number could be good?

Also if you do another patch a nice option would be the difficulty, Corporal right now not only gives more cards and units but also weakens the enemy. I would love to see a check box or 2 to allow one to remove or add a couple of those features. For example I wouldn't mind more units in a pull but less cards. Or more cards but no -1 weakening on the AI. I played Corporal and found that most of my campaigns because of battles and such later in the game there were no armies, I still one but in 1809 I should be able to field more armies to cover Spain and such, and that doesn't seem possible in Corporal without the Increase in Pool, I wouldn't mind the AI getting a pool increase also with a check box. Anyway just some suggestions if there is another patch.

If you ever do make another patch, a few fixes I would love to see in it.

Add feature from the Civil war version to Napoleon like terrain and commanders on the line (the cards don't work as well and are limited for terrain).
Better Guard units (Whether a card or tweaks, still like the card for skirmish for Guards)
Option to have Large recruitment pool without the -1 AI
Option to increase recruitment pool for all sides for some large battles
Ever a chance to start making your titles have moving sprites for battles would be something, and maybe use Battle music that matches the tunes played by the attacking side. (Like I said check out the game Conquest of the New World)

Thanks again for this game. Please don't abandon this title, there are many like me that would like a game like this but didn't hear about it till now.

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”