Irish Revolt and English Response

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
lavanpk

Irish Revolt and English Response

Post by lavanpk »

So playing the game last night and I manage to invade and take Ireland and play the Irish revolt card. The English send their biggest army to counterattack my army and are defeated and sent back to England. But the stubborn English AI countinues to attack every turn hereafter with whatever forces they have regardless of the odds (I had a 20 stack army in Ireland) eventually sending a 1 unit army on a suicide mission.

Is this what is intended? It doesn't feel right that British should go beserk on Ireland to the point of suicidal attacks.

Perhaps the English AI should account for the presence of French Armies in Ireland, rather than assuming just the Irish rebel army is there.

By the way, love the game! [:)]
mercenarius

RE: Irish Revolt and English Response

Post by mercenarius »

Interesting. Very inventive actually. I hadn't thought of trying something like that.

I haven't checked the code yet, but you do seem to have exposed a flaw in the AI.

Out of curiosity, let me ask: how did the game end?
By the way, love the game!

Many, many thanks for your kind words!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
lavanpk

Post by lavanpk »

How did the game end? Was able to get an "epic victory" 365 to 158 (on "General" difficulty)

Also, speaking of French invasions, in a previous game (most current version) something else happened that was unusual - at least I had not seen it before the most recent patch. I had declared war on the Ottomans, invaded Egypt and played the Suez Canal control card. I held it for a number of turns but then out of the blue the AI turn the game announced the British had regained control of the Suez Canal and my Egypt Army was moved automatically to Provence. And France and the Ottoman empire were no longer at war. Not competely sure, but this may have occurred after 1814 and the AI played their "Grand Alliance" card.

I have lost the Suez before, but never without a battle. So how could this happen?

Anyway, did I mention I love the game? [:)]
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I will have to look at this. I don't think that I have ever occupied Egypt when the "Grand Alliance" card was played. I will see if I can duplicate what you are describing.

Thanks for the report, and I am glad that you are enjoying the game!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Drakkon

Post by Drakkon »

ORIGINAL: lavanpk

So playing the game last night and I manage to invade and take Ireland and play the Irish revolt card. The English send their biggest army to counterattack my army and are defeated and sent back to England. But the stubborn English AI countinues to attack every turn hereafter with whatever forces they have regardless of the odds (I had a 20 stack army in Ireland) eventually sending a 1 unit army on a suicide mission.

Is this what is intended? It doesn't feel right that British should go beserk on Ireland to the point of suicidal attacks.

Perhaps the English AI should account for the presence of French Armies in Ireland, rather than assuming just the Irish rebel army is there.

By the way, love the game! [:)]

I have seen this also. If you have naval superiority you can blockade the Brits in Ireland after they deploy their army. Use a small expendable force as bait, then move in your ships.

mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

To tell the truth, we just had an update, so I don't know when it will be a good time put out another. I will talk to Matrix after the New Year and see what they say.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem reported about the Grand Alliance card and the status of Egypt mysteriously changing. I did examine the program logic and I couldn't find anything wrong.

The Achilles heel that people have discovered with Ireland is something that needs to be closed off. That's obvious. I have looked at the code and I see a couple of things that need correcting or improvement.

Sometimes - maybe always! - the players are smarter than I am. [&o]
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”