Neither Fear nor Mercy - CG as a Work in Progress

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

LN59

Neither Fear nor Mercy - CG as a Work in Progress

Post by LN59 »

IMPORTANT!

First of all, this discussion thread complements the one that Paullus created on 5/7/2017:

"Tips for Scenario designer" which you will find in the header of this section. Please, see link below:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4280909

- Here those who wish can exchange questions and points of view;

- THERE will be posted the summaries (diagrams, tables, tips, etc.) that will come out.

As for files of more general interest, they will be posted in the "Submitted Play Aids and Misc files" section, here is the link:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4037028

One way not to overload those pages initiated by Paullus.

Thank You in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

If you are interested in this thread, it will focus on the important development & tuning up phases of a Scenario's or a Campaign
Game's design. With matters like: collecting the useful informations and data needed for an historical or semi-historical theme.
How to use it when designing maps, orders of battle, giving it the best shape possible. Like: how to imagine - or reconstruct -
the course of a real (or realistic) confrontation? How to "spare surprises" (bad or good) to the skillfull human opponent?

We also could approach the implementation of a kind of "tactical acting-thinking fighting spirit" (even a strategical one?)
for the AI to be more competitive ... Of course, we would take into account:

a) the possibilities for it to follow a general "ATTITUDE" and some programmed "SPECIAL COMMAND(s)" like "DEFEND A HEX" [x,y] / "ATTACK A HEX" [x,y];

b) the game engine's limitations and (small friendly sign to Peter) the not too heavy improvements which could possibly
be considered if they prove to be feasible. I already have a few small ideas behind my head.

This, while giving (it's I'm hoping too) useful tools to get any player in the saddle when concerned in becoming a designer in his turn.

This would allow us to discuss this subject without cluttering up the "Mods & Scenarios" pages devoted to the uploading of
resources and scenarios intended for the members of the TotH community.

We would be also sharing our tips and tricks, as well as explaining to the others our different ways to approach the scenario
design. For my part, I will rely on "Neither Fear nor Mercy - CG" not because it would "become a model", but simply because it's
a "work in progress" which perhaps would have the merit of being friendly and cooperative.

Besides, in a way, it already is ... [;)]

Keep You Safe and Healthy, and Your Loved Ones too.
Welcome to You All!

(To be continued ...)

Attachments
CG Prepera.. Example.jpg
CG Prepera.. Example.jpg (536.34 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Hailstone

RE: Neither Fear nor Mercy - CG as a Work in Progress

Post by Hailstone »

Dude
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Great work Lilian[:)]
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Very Nice Work Indeed!![;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Arrête de te la péter mon pote![:D]
Stop showing off Lilian of Morocco![8D][&o]
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Hi, Guys!

Now online on the forum, some aids for the design and production of historical or semi-historical but realistic maps and scenarios with the Editor.

- This means up to twelve sectors and therefore 40 hexagons out of 97, the maximum authorized size. All hexes numbered from [0,0] to [39,96]

according to the game's coordinate system but, You'll also be able to extract from it smaller hexgrids at those dimensions required for your own creation.

- There are five files in PNG format (managing transparency) that are ready to use in your usual graphics software as long as it allows You to work by layers.

(Please, see new post below ...)

- The method consists of going from an aerial or satellite picture, a scanned topographic map or a plan from a historical or even military source

to a cartographic canvas or sketch perfectly compatible with TotH's style of map.

In addition, printing this Summary Map will greatly facilitate your work within the Editor.

- A good preparation requires a lot of patience but in the end it will reward You in saving time and avoiding too many disappointments

when you'll be going to the final realization ...

- I agree You here in sharing some concrete examples that You might find useful, as well as some handy tools that have been developed

to overcome "Le Haut-du-Faing" map. I'm intending to provide You an editable version of that particular map as a Big Map file.

- All Your questions are welcome!

(To be continued ...)
Attachments
2020_08_05 How to.jpg
2020_08_05 How to.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 809 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Question

- What is the point of using a graphic software that allows working in layers instead of immediately launching yourself into

the Editor's tasks?

Answer

> Transparency of the terrain's data for the Designer[/u] - Visual result for the Player's aesthetic / historical pleasure!

- Indeed, the superposition then the fusion of layers each one corresponding to a particular fact: altitude level, vegetation, hydrographic network, network of roads

and paths, buildings, obstacles to the view, special terrain, etc. are allowing us in achieving this goal (IMHO).

- This Preparatory (or Summary) Map can be easily produced and printed to provide a kind of template (a sketch or canvas) for the map to come,

which of course will obviously stay always to be edited within TotH!

- You will have now a convenient and useful sheet of paper at your disposal besides your computer, with coordinates of each hexagon [x = columns, y = rows]

and its content: nature of terrain, buildings, vegetation, entrance hexes, exit ones, etc.

- You'll still be able to modify some details when in the Editor as long as the work progresses, even during the scenario's test phase.

- Is your Canvas-Summary Map no longer up to date compared with your map's last digitalized version on the screen? It doesn't matter ...

For it will still be useful enough for You to find your way around, especially if that map is a large one. I can certify that: it's real life!

- Going through this detour before using the Editor is at any moment wasting time as impatient people might believe. Real life... You can trust me there too!

That's particularly obvious in case of a map covering several sectors, especially from 3 up. Therefore when You're constantly scrolling screens...

(To be continued ...)
Attachments
Hexgrid_Samples_00.jpg
Hexgrid_Samples_00.jpg (215.62 KiB) Viewed 807 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Here, the first Summary Map I tried to use because "I didn't want to get lost in the woods and brushes" when starting the map's creation.

But for certain reasons of accuracy and scale, I didn't like it.

The good old trial-and-error method!

Hence the next post ...

Attachments
LN59_Haut-..mary_Map.jpg
LN59_Haut-..mary_Map.jpg (409.89 KiB) Viewed 807 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Here, the final Summary Map I actually used to accompany the map creation with Toth Editor.

Maybe less pretty than the previous one but more practical.

Using the True Type "Mapsymbs - Map Icons 2" font, I made little ink pads (the ones in the key under the map) to scale and to define each hexagon's main content.

When adjusting the transparency of the upper layers (~ 45% opacity), I can thus check on which level (Clear, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 or Level 4) I was stamping

Woods, Brushes, Roads, Buildings, etc.

Finally, I did not detail the plan of the small town, having decided to draw it directly in the Editor.

In fact, this map and the previous one complemented each other well ... and were both useful!

(To be continued ...)
Attachments
LN59_Haut-.._Map_bis.jpg
LN59_Haut-.._Map_bis.jpg (419.34 KiB) Viewed 807 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

The MAPPING AIDS (as a ZIP file) are online in the Submitted Play Aids and Misc files section.

Name of file: Hexgrid40x97.ZIP

Link: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4037028

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”