Submitted Scenarios

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

Paullus

RE: Submitted Scenarios

Post by Paullus »

Nice [:)]
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Thanks, Jörgen!

[:)]

Attachments
TotH Forum..thMTR CP.jpg
TotH Forum..thMTR CP.jpg (396.15 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Hey LN59, you're stirring my appetite for that campaign of yours. Cool image.
I hope those "impact marks" never get repaired, lest we forget.[&o]
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

The best facet of the game - being able to play on the actual terrain rather than generic boards :)
Looking forward to it LN59 and truly glad to hear it's not bogging the game down! [&o]

That'll make it the first CG to not do so!
LN59

Post by LN59 »

ORIGINAL: Hailstone

Hey LN59, you're stirring my appetite for that campaign of yours. Cool image.
I hope those "impact marks" never get repaired, lest we forget.[&o]

Hi, Hailstone

I didn't find for now any old pictures of the place but the building must have been in very bad condition in the spring of 1945 ...
The tiled roof has been completely redone in the post-war period (type of tiles as a proof).
The thick walls certainly about 90cm (~ 35 inches) made of Vosges sandstone held up better:
- rubble stones and mortar in the holes plus the traditional white lime plaster have been enough!
This does not prevent us from still spotting some traces thanks to a good low-angled light.
Professional distortion of an historian-geographer-photographer-walker ... [:D]

Best Regards
Lilian
LN59

Post by LN59 »

ORIGINAL: rmmwilg

The best facet of the game - being able to play on the actual terrain rather than generic boards :)
Looking forward to it LN59 and truly glad to hear it's not bogging the game down! [&o]

That'll make it the first CG to not do so!

Hi, rmmwilg

First, Thank You for your kind remark!

As much as with the game itself, I have fun (and continue to educate myself) enormously in researching historical facts,
drawing up maps, summary documents and other explanatory sketches for my personal use or that of relatives and non-profit
associations. The happiness of being able to enjoy retirement ... [8D] without remaining inactive for all that!

"... it's not bogging the game down!"

[:-] Warning ! I don't claim to have solved the problem on a computer level (it's way beyond my skills).
It turns out that the very course of the scenario (during the test games that I've played) seems to limit that effect
of the game engine slowing down. It doesn't really eliminate it at all.

[X(] In this, I especially don't want to disappoint anyone because I have not found THE miracle solution!
Please, rmmwilg, take a look at your Inbox (on this forum). Some "Highly Confidential Data" will be awaiting...
that may be of interest to You! [:D]

Best Regards,
LN59 [;)]
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Important! Made with TotH's Editor version 0.2.70 (2018) - To be played under version 1.1.21 of the Game.

[&:] For more information, Please, follow that link:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504508 [;)]

" R E L E A S E D !!!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither Fear nor Mercy - Mini Campaign Game

BETWEEN CORNIMONT & LA BRESSE, Vosges, France, 16-18 October, 1944:

At the end of an Italian campaign where it distinguished itself during the breakthrough of the Gustav line, the 6th MTR
(Moroccan Tirailleurs Regiment) arrived in Marseilles mid-September and was stationed there until the end of the month.
Now considered a veteran unit of the First French liberation army led by General de Lattre ("une belle unité" as its CO,
Col. Raymond Baillif used to say), it was temporarily assigned to General de Monsabert's 2nd Army Corps which was already
engaged in harsh fighting in the High Vosges range. The transfer by truck began on October 6, reaching the Luxeuil-les-Bains
region two days later.

On October 14, after relieving an exhausted, Algerian Tirailleurs unit, the regiment was ordered to seize "Le Haut-du-Faing",
a small massif approximately 1 000 meters (3,000ft) high that allowed the Germans to control two narrow valleys (400 meters or
1,312 feet lower) that are leading up to the strategic, High Vosges ridges, a little further east. On the night of October 15
and on foot across dense, muddy woods, the 6th MTR advanced to its start positions, with the attack scheduled for dawn.
Sadly for the soldiers and their leaders, there wasn’t much artillery available. Just 15 minutes of initial barrage with follow-on
support from the two battalion HQ’s was expected to be available by radio, and those communication links would be tenuous
due to bad weather.

What the French weren’t aware of was that the Germans had dugin for the winter along an ad hoc but rather strong main line of
resistance they named "Winterlinie" (Winter Line). Moreover, they had also reinforced their positions with powerful, self-propelled
artillery (Hummel). The same, bloody scenario would also play out just a few kilometers east in a larger massif called "Le Grand-Ventron",
prompting the French Commander-in-Chief to finally suspend operations in the face of the arduous conditions and mounting casualties
along the wind-swept heights and shell-pocked terrain.

French (US) --> [<- German

Germans: DC, HMG, INF (mainly 1st & 2nd Line), LMG, MMG, MTR (light), OBA (150mm, 80MTR), Ordnance (light AA & AT; MTR), PF, PSK, AFV (few, only light)
French (US): BAZ, DC, FT, HMG, INF (mainly 1st Line, few Elite), MMG, MTR (light), OBA (80mm, 150mm), AFV (few, fire support only)

LOS: Day - 8 hexes or 6 hexes [1] / Night - 1 hex / Random visibility enabled (due to frequent fog in that region, even during summer)
MAP: 2 x 4 Sectors
TYPE: Forest, hills & rural (dense woods, meadows & peat-bogs, slopes), isolated farming buildings & one small town

BEST PLAYED AS (first play): FRENCH (side B) / Thereafter AI Opponent may vary
AI ATTITUDE: If Human plays French -> HOLD (AI uses Special Commands) / If Human plays German -> ADVANCE (AI uses Special Commands)

DIFFICULTY: HARD / VERY HARD
FOW: ENABLED
QUALITY PATH: HIGH
Random Visibility in Campaign Game: ON
If a SIDE loses all units, a Scenario/CG ends: ON

SCENARIO LENGTH: 36 Game Turns / May end on [1D6 <= 1] from Turn 31 / Side B only goes on the Last Turn

VICTORY OBJECTIVE:
The side with the required Victory Points is the winner / Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives / No KIA-EXIT VPs

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for a really good depiction of Western Europe's autumn environment: ASL3D (SEPT.-OCT.) AUTUMN MOD

AFTERMATH:

The battle of "Le Haut-du-Faing" lasted October 16 to 28, 1944, and while the result was a tactical, French success it came at
the price of exhausting the 6th MTR too. This CG only covers the first three days of the offensive. The real end of the German
counter-attacks took place the next day, October 19, but they have been launched only for the sake of honor, without insisting ...
After that, the fighting on the entire High Vosges front is no more than an artillery duel. The decision will have to come from
elsewhere ... There, in the meantime, like around the Atlantic Pockets, in the Netherlands, at Aachen, in the Hürtgen Forest,
at Metz and in the Lorraine or in the plains of Alsace (Strasbourg, Colmar & Mulhouse) that War won't never be over for Christmas.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

To Big Ivan, Hailstone, Paullus, Rico21, rmmwilg and UP844 for their help (ie. advice, critics, encouragement & support).

Their experience and their knowledge of the Game were absolutely essential to me.

If You like this scenario , know that it owes Them a lot!

If You are disappointed , it's only Me to blame ...

As usual, Your comments will be welcome, but on the dedicated mini-CG's AAR thread only, Please.

Keep You and Your Loved Ones Safe.

Have Fun! That's just what I want. [;)]

LN59 - July & August 2020

[1] The ZIP file contains the TWO versions of the game.
Attachments
Neither Fe.._Release.zip
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

"Un petit supplément gratuit !" - A small free supplement for You!

Attached below is a home-made document to pay tribute to Those Who Have Given Their Lives for Our Liberty ...

Introducing You to the rough but beautiful region of "les Vosges" and also to the historical context.

LN59

Attachments
Street Vie.. Chalets.jpg
Street Vie.. Chalets.jpg (316.96 KiB) Viewed 956 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Here, some documentation ...
Attachments
6thMTRt..ter1944.zip
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

LN59, your picture of "les Vosges" shows a beautiful area with such lush
greenery and hills yet I can see how murderous that area can be for fighting.
Do you have a picture of "les Vosges" after the battles there back in WWII?
I love to see nature reclaiming what people have done to it. [:)]
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

LN59,

Hey I found a typo in your latest version of Neither Fear nor Mercy. There is
a "French" 2nd Line unit with a zone setup of #10 which does not exist. I believe
you meant setup zone #1 along with the rest of the 1st turn French units. [;)]

Attachments
Typo.jpg
Typo.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 955 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Erratum #1

- Turn 1: French setup; there was a phantom unit [US] Squad: 2nd Line ID #: 126 <EXP. Veteran> to be deployed in <US Zone 10> which doesn't exist!

Fixed & ZIP file updated

However, if you had started a game and didn't want to lose it, be aware that this unit will appear in your reinforcements every turn but you will not be able

to deploy it on the map. A little annoying, but with no real effect on the game ...

(Last minute) Well done, Hailstone! But that's just the now useless trace of old trials. Sorry for that kind of scoria!

"Well, nobody's perfect!" Actor Joe E. Brown in the finale scene of Some Like It Hot (1959) [;)]
LN59

Post by LN59 »

LN59, your picture of "les Vosges" shows a beautiful area with such lush
greenery and hills yet I can see how murderous that area can be for fighting.
Do you have a picture of "les Vosges" after the battles there back in WWII?
I love to see nature reclaiming what people have done to it. [:)]

Hailstone,

I am preparing a small documentary file for You that I will send by email because I can't post it on the forum (copyrights, etc.)
However, You will need a little patience because there are a few pages to translate as well as images, videos or internet links to comment.
The following picture, fortunately is in the public domain: it belongs to ECPAD, the cinematographic, photographic and audiovisual agency of our armed forces
(Ministry of Defense until 2017; currently "Ministère des Armées" i.e. Ministry of the Armed Forces).

It was taken after CORNIMONT liberation (first days of October, 1944) and probably just several days BEFORE the battle of Le Haut-du-Faing, whose two rounded peaks are visible in the background. The name of that little town, Cornimont, means the "great horned hill". Take also a good look at the signs and names ...

I would have a lot of other things to explain, especially about our soldiers' equipment and the civilians' life and destiny, but that would take me too far for today! Sorry, Sam ...

- Oh, I was going to forget!

From September 1914 until November 1918, the West Front also passed through the Vosges' ridges and valleys. Death and Devastation hit hard there too about 25 years earlier ... Through forgotten places soaked in blood and horror barely 25 years ago like Le Linge, Le Vieil Armand (= Hartmannswillerkopf), Badonviller (= Badenweiler: Yes, Herr A.H.'s favorite military march ...)

- Never forget ...

Identification of this Sherman M10 Wolverine: a TD from the "2e Régiment de Dragons" whose name was "Pont d'Arcole",
after one of the first Italian victories of the young General Bonaparte (1796).
Attachments
Cornimont..ber1944.jpg
Cornimont..ber1944.jpg (240.06 KiB) Viewed 957 times
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Just 2 km North of Le Haut-du-Faing.

La Bresse, end of Year 1945 ...

Attachments
La_Bresse_..estroyed.jpg
La_Bresse_..estroyed.jpg (528.35 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

LN59, the destruction of the town and surrounding hills is
pretty much what I expected. It's a German defender's dream
terrain requiring the utmost of the French troops to get the
Germans out. The French must have suffered heavily taking
back their country one town at a time. War sucks.[:(]
Raybert1123

Post by Raybert1123 »

When are you going to post your scenario LN59?
LN59

Post by LN59 »

ORIGINAL: Raybert1123

When are you going to post your scenario LN59?

Please, see post #1327 above, Raybert1123! [;)]

Link: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... 5&mpage=45#

It's been done since yesterday, August 16, 2020.

But I admit being talkative and tending to clutter up the scenario download thread ...

So, the download link has tended to get drowned in my former history teacher's [>:] mixing & digressions!

I apologize, especially since I've asked other forum users to post their comments in the thread provided for the mini-CG's AAR!

Lilian

LN59

Post by LN59 »

LN59, the destruction of the town and surrounding hills is
pretty much what I expected. It's a German defender's dream
terrain requiring the utmost of the French troops to get the
Germans out. The French must have suffered heavily taking
back their country one town at a time. War sucks.[:(]

Your observations are very correct and very subtle, Sam.

This doesn't detract from what our American and British friends, and our other Great or minor Allies have had to sacrifice in order to defeat Hitlerism.
In the file that I will send You, I will discuss - through the example of the Battle of the Vosges - what this could have meant for the French: whether they were fighters of metropolitan or colonial origin, resistance fighters, civilians ... or even collaborators of the enemy.

I agree with You, Hailstone: War sucks ... And the historical reality is complex but perfectly understandable for anyone willing to honestly take the trouble
to "put himself in ..." without however, admitting the Unacceptable.

With All Due Respect,
Lilian

Post by Raybert1123 »

Rico, did you leave us for good? I need a fix!
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Me, to leave and let stay you alone with Lilian and Hailstone, are you crazy?[:D]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”