AAR-Stand at Shestakov.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Big Ivan

AAR-Stand at Shestakov.

Post by Big Ivan »

Here is a little teaser for you Tigers on the Hunt fans out there.

The scenario is Hailstone's Stand at Shestakov and it can be found under the Submitted Scenario section Post # 1085.
Stand at Shestakov

Near Stalingrad, Thursday, December 17, 1942: The 57 Panzer Corps' attempt
to relieve Stalingrad had reached the river Aksay, only 45 miles away from the
besieged 6th Army. The 23rd Panzer Division, severely weakened by the intense
fighting, had managed to seize several bridgeheads on the Askay at Kruglyakov
and Shestakov. At this point, the Soviets launched a series of strong attacks
aimed at destroying the bridgeheads, one which came at Shestakov, held only by
an engineer battalion.

Game Length: 6.5 turns

I'm playing as the Russians and in the screenshot below it is the German Administrative Phase of Turn 5.

As you can see I am getting my fanny handed to me by the German A/I. I have taken 6 victory point building hexes for a current Russian Minor Loss.

I have already lost three T-70 tanks to enemy fire. There is also an immobilized T-34 off board to the bottom that failed its mechanical reliability check in Turn 2.
In the white circle there was a critical hit during the German Turn 4 Defensive Fire Phase by the iG-75 Infantry Gun that rubbled the building and whacked 2 Russian 1st Line Squads. Ouch!!
I also lost a melee in Turn 4 at the center building where the German 8-1 Leader is stationed. Loosing 2 1st Line Squads in that fiasco.

With only 6.5 turns in the scenario it is doubtful I will even get a draw.

Very tough scenario Hailstone, nice work on its design!!

Attachments
StandatS..ovTurn5.jpg
StandatS..ovTurn5.jpg (367 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Hailstone

RE: AAR-Stand at Shestakov.

Post by Hailstone »

Hey Big Ivan, I have never put out a scenario that I haven't beaten, eventually. [;)]
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

That's cute Hailstone, I like it, I really do my friend!![:D]

You're a well oiled machine turning out scenarios and enjoyment for us fans of Tigers on the Hunt just like Chrysler turns out Jeeps. Superb work my friend all around!!

Me on the other hand, I am an old broken down fart that needed a quick break from the Campaign Series so I dragged my big fanny over here to try one of your creations and throw up a quick AAR for the new neighbors! I think the ASL graphics Mod I have installed is superb!! Gives the new folks a different look.

Did I ever tell you that sometimes some of your scenarios really piss me off? (Sorry Matrix!!). This one is close, but nothing personal Hailstone!

Anyway you know my friend, its nice to see some new activity around this forum!!

Its been silent too long.

Take care Hailstone and keep the scenario factory open my friend!! You do excellent work![&o]

So do you Rico!!

Big Ivan[;)]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

I 100% agree with John, keep up the good work!

The scenario looks interesting: the Germans have a fine set-up, with interlocking fields of fire and this looks like a tough nut to crack.

I only have a doubt... a Panzerschreck in late 1942/early 1943???
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Great AAR, Great Scenario, Great Critic,[:D]
Great new year to all.
I'm actually in Finland and this year i expect to go to Vietnam beside Big Ivan.
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

UP844, you caught me again! My personal preference for more action had led me astray.
In the scenario, Stand at Shestakov, I found during playtesting, which is essentially playing
with myself, that the Soviet tanks overmatched the two German AT Guns consistently. So, for
the sake of play balance, I should have removed AFV's instead of adding Panzerchrecks. [:(]

Rico, I'm not even going to try to understand you going to Viet Nam beside Big Ivan means but
it is always good to hear from you. [;)]
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: rico21

Great AAR, Great Scenario, Great Critic,[:D]
Great new year to all.
I'm actually in Finland and this year i expect to go to Vietnam beside Big Ivan.

Rico you little devil, good to hear from you!![:D]

Yes I have my plane tickets to 'Nam. I heard you can get a lobster dinner there for $2. Plus a ride anywhere in Saigon for 50 cents. There is also a few ASL players there that want to chat with the famous or infamous "Big Ivan" regarding TotH! I'm honored brother!![;)]

Sorry can't leave until I get my filling of the Campaign Series. Also I need to beat Hailstone's "Stand at Shestakov" at least 3 times before I depart.

Cheers Rico!!

Big Ivan[;)]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Hi Hailstone,

this scenario really hits the mark! I played it two times and both times I only managed to get a Minor Victory at the very last turn (12 VP the first time, 14 in the second attempt, with a T-34 and a T-70 smashing through houses - and getting bogged).

This time I won't inflict you a detailed AAR, just a few ramblings (I heard your sighs of relief [:D]).

The first time, I was lucky and my infantry managed to eliminate both AT guns pretty quickly, but the tanks (which were supposed to deal with the German stack in the center house and the 75mm IG) showed up late and I have to use the old-and-tried (and bloody) "human wave" tactic to overwhelm them.
The second time, knowing the German set-up, I went for a "left hook", but the tanks again failed to show up until late in the game (where is Katukov when you need him?).

Russian armor played a minor role: in the first game, a T-70 blocked the road for three turns (either OOC or failing the radio check) causing a huge tank traffic jam (are tanks equipped with horns?? [&:]). In the second, the (supposed) valiant Red Army tankers spent most of the game in their deployment hexes trying to figure out what to do. In both games, a T-34 failed its Mechanical Reliability roll and became Immobilized, playing no part in the action.

The scenario is a gem! [&o]

Siegfried Sassoon

Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

UP844, I busted a gut with, "are tanks not equipped with horns??" [:D]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

I suppose firing a 76mm AP in the rear of the T-70 blocking the road would not be considered as "an act of fraternal comradeship in the relentless struggle against the invaders of the Motherland".

P.S. Happy 2020 to the whole ToTH community!

Siegfried Sassoon

Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Here is the final screenshot of the Game. It took 7 turns to break the German crews manning the 50mm ATG's. Oh my goodness!! (Yellow Circles)

I finished with a minor Russian loss. The German 8-1 Ldr and Engineer squads (Red Circle) are a very tough firebase to crack with excellent placement. They have a good field of fire to rake the Russian troops doing the tested left hook to the 1st building with the ATG on the left. Open ground death if that MMG zeros in on them! I never got any farther than the center building. My troops were almost constantly breaking and being casualty reduced with some further being downgraded to conscript status.

Hailstone, Kudos on this one my friend!! A most enjoyable scenario to play with a lot of things for the Russian player to consider.

Very happy to put up this AAR to keep TotH in focus for the community.

Regards,
Big Ivan[;)]

Attachments
StandatS..urn7End.jpg
StandatS..urn7End.jpg (455.55 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Return to “After Action Report”