There Once Was A Little Column... [German side]

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

Big Ivan

RE: There Once Was A Little Column... [German side]

Post by Big Ivan »

You did good UP844![:)]

Panzer Lehr, have to agree. After the division was annihilated in Normandy it never really came back to its former position.[8D]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
UP844

Post by UP844 »

I had been a bit too aggressive (on the other hand, yesterday I watched "Patton" again on Netflix [;)]).

I could have obtained the same result one turn later without taking so many casualties. Apart from the 251s, which have very little chance to survive anyway, the other losses were avoidable with a little more caution.

In my opinion, however, the game was practically over as soon as the first Sherman was destroyed. After that, all I had to do was neutralising MGs and BAZs with the PzIVs, then breaking US squads and surrounding them (a.k.a. mopping up).
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

UP844, that was a good AAR also, I appreciate you using one of my creations. FYI, in the scenario description the 5 Stuarts
were to be positioned with an unobstructed view to the south AND after every hit they receive the Stuarts were to take a
moral check. If any unit fails their MC the whole group would withdraw to the end of the battle map. I could not replicate
that situation so I gave the Germans an extra Panzer IV because the Stuarts will stand and fight instead of withdrawing. You
did very well with "There Once Was A Little Column..." whereas it took me all 10 turns to win during my first playtest. I'm
working on other scenarios so hopefully you might find another interesting scenario for another AAR.[:)]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Hailstone, I played and appreciated all of your scenarios [&o].

I would like to make an AAR about all the scenarios I play, but unfortunately, preparing an AAR requires taking a lot of notes, so I only make one when I have plenty of time to make a proper work. I also hope (in vain, so far) to stimulate some discussion about ToTH tactics. I would also like to make some video AARs, which would only require recording the game, but so far I have not found a suitable (and free) software.

As regards to the Stuart rule: thanks for the clarification. In a paper game, you can easily implement any Special Rule, but unfortunately this just can't be done in a computer game. Sometimes, this makes porting ASL scenarios in ToTH a daunting task, as we are forced to work within a rigid framework of victory conditions (e.g. it is not possible to make a scenario where you must accomplish your Victory Conditions without suffering too many losses.)

Finally, I have been a bit lucky with the Stuarts (and much more by killing the Sherman after moving), but they were really fragile machines anyway: I read an account of an action in the opening days of the Battle of the Bulge where a company of Stuarts was sent to support one of the villages held by the 110th infantry (Marnach or Hosingen, I think), but was slaughtered when it encountered a few German AFVs.
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

Return to “After Action Report”