Question on restricted vision

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
Javelin

Question on restricted vision

Post by Javelin »

I have a question regarding the vision rules affecting anti-armor hit chances. In the manual, it says that "Heavy Precipitation" and "Heavy Cultivated" terrain leads to restricted vision. When exactly is there heavy precipitation for a combat: in a hex showing snow in the weather overlay? In the whole weather zone for which the weather briefing states "heavy precipitation"? And likewise, what terrain types are meant with "heavy cultivated": cropland? bocage/hedgerow?
Thanks in advance for any hints! 
Lobster

RE: Question on restricted vision

Post by Lobster »

If you turn on the weather overlay (click on the map tab) you can see which hex has heavy precipitation. Flat clouds are hazy. Flat clouds with rain are light precip. Puffy clouds are overcast. Puffy clouds with rain are heavy precip. As for heavy cultivated, it's mentioned in only one place in the manual and it isn't spelled out exactly what it is so anyone trying to explain it would only be guessing. Your guess is as good as any other. If it was meant to apply to bocage only then why didn't it say bocage? Maybe someone has tested it.

Croplands are something that transition from one state to another so in the spring they are not the same as they are in late summer or fall. The game could do a better job of modeling this for scenarios that last several months.

BTW don't expect the rain clouds to match the mud hexes on the map. They most often don't.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Croplands are something that transition from one state to another so in the spring they are not the same as they are in late summer or fall. The game could do a better job of modeling this for scenarios that last several months.

The primary impact of cropland is that it adds +1 for most movement types. From experience, any time of year moving across cropland is heavy going on foot, and probably worse in a wheeled vehicle, as even if there are no crops currently in place the soil is usually extremely lumpy where it's been ploughed earlier in the year. Better to be going over grazing land, which would just be "open".

Anyway, it's at the designer's discretion: if you don't think the farmland is going to be a barrier to movement, keep it as "open".
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The OP was talking about vision. The manual mentions Heavy Cultivated once and never explains what that is.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Javelin

Post by Javelin »

Thank you for the explanation. I tested with the mentioned terrain types now. According to what I saw, bocage/hedgerow does lead to restricted vision, while cropland does not. Also, as a surprise to me, vision depends on the terrain on which the unit you are shooting at is located. So, for example, if A located on open terrain attacks B located on urban terrain, then A gets a 50% hit chance (restricted vision), and B gets a 11% hit chance (open vision).
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I tested with the mentioned terrain types now. According to what I saw, bocage/hedgerow does lead to restricted vision, while cropland does not.
Thanks for taking the time to test that [8D]
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Terrain and game play charts attached for those interested (nothing new, but "bumping" their presence in the forums).

Cheers

Attachments
terrainan..echarts.zip
(917.84 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
FaneFlugt

Post by FaneFlugt »

ORIGINAL: Javelin

Thank you for the explanation. I tested with the mentioned terrain types now. According to what I saw, bocage/hedgerow does lead to restricted vision, while cropland does not. Also, as a surprise to me, vision depends on the terrain on which the unit you are shooting at is located. So, for example, if A located on open terrain attacks B located on urban terrain, then A gets a 50% hit chance (restricted vision), and B gets a 11% hit chance (open vision).

So, thsi means that airplanes should be placed on open terrain air fields and not airfields in (fx) a forest. Seems a bit weird that a planes airstrip terrain should affects its combat performance? or am I missing something here?

Return to “The War Room”