Why do units choose to advance (or not)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
Jeremy Mac Donald

Why do units choose to advance (or not)

Post by Jeremy Mac Donald »

So something that I have observed is that units very often forgo advancing into a hex after the defenders have been pushed out. I am at a loss as to why units sometimes advance and sometimes choose not to. I understand that a unit that is no longer involved in the combat won't advance and artillery never does and take for granted that a unit that does not have enough movement presumably won't advance but what about all the other cases?

Why do units that have enough remaining movement and are also still participating in the combat not advance? I've heard hypothesis that it might have something to do with the loss tolerance setting and maybe that has some kind of an impact but I have definitely seen units on minimize losses advance and ones on ignore losses choose not to.

Anyone have any insight on this phenomena?
Necesse est multos timeat quem multi timent

"He whom many fear, fears many"
TheeWarLord

Re: Why do units choose to advance (or not)

Post by TheeWarLord »

It's your settings...attack setting means you advance, limited attack no advance.
Jeremy Mac Donald

Post by Jeremy Mac Donald »

TheeWarLord wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:38 pm It's your settings...attack setting means you advance, limited attack no advance.
I assume you mean the loss tolerance settings (Minimize losses versus limit losses versus ignore losses)?

Or is there some setting I don't know about (I am skeptical that could be the case).
Necesse est multos timeat quem multi timent

"He whom many fear, fears many"
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:44 am Why do units that have enough remaining movement and are also still participating in the combat not advance?
Norm seems to have been quite fond of probabilities and delays; using them so that outcomes and events are not absolutely predictable. Casualties, end turn, unit entry, event delay, advance, et al. Wouldn’t be surprised if in the code there isn’t different advance probabilities after minimize, limited, ignore and berserk attacks.
That’s my guess. Ask your buddy Bobbie, he knows what’s in the code. Then again, don’t ask and keep it as a mystery.

Regards
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

TheeWarLord wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:38 pm It's your settings...attack setting means you advance, limited attack no advance.
While this is true, it's also true that units which are no longer part of the combat won't advance.

At the end of each combat round, a check is made for each unit to break off from combat, based on losses, loss tolerance setting and unit quality. Defenders which break off retreat, attackers which break off play no further part in the combat. It's entirely possible that every unit involved in the combat round breaks off at the same time: this leaves you with an empty hex.

As alluded to, setting units to "ignore losses" makes them less likely to break off from combat, and therefore more likely to advance if all of the defenders break off.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Let’s put the text into pictures. For a ground unit, target an enemy unit, right click and the attack options are shown as in A and B. The attacking unit(s) has 4 options to advance/no advance, and 3 loss tolerance options. Attack and loss options are selected independently.

Case A. In this example the player has selected “Single group attack”. If the attack is successful and the enemy vacates the attacked hex, and the attacker has sufficient movement remaining, the attacking units will occupy the hex. Same conditions and results apply if the player had selected “Single unit attack”. The attack loss tolerance selected does not affect the units advancing, only the aggression of the assault.
Case B. In this example the player has selected “Single group limited attack”. In this case the attacking units will remain in their hex, will not advance into the attacked location regardless of the enemy reaction to the attack. Very useful when making attrition attacks or to prevent units from becoming isolated and vulnerable to counterattack.

The second screen shot is of a typical attack planner. As far as I can tell the planner has no option for “Single unit/group limited attack” as in case B. The default seems to be a case A attack with a probability inserted that the attacker will, or will not, advance. Loss tolerance can be selected, but not advance/no advance. If anyone can verify this, or provide a correction, I would appreciate the input.

Regards, RhinoBones
Attachments
Attack Options.jpg
Attack Options.jpg (163.2 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Attack Planner.jpg
Attack Planner.jpg (169.43 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
scout1

Post by scout1 »

OK, lets approach this from a different direction ......

If I have a planned attack from multiple units/hexes but want to favor one or two units to advance from a given direction, how do I go about that ? Selecting a planned attack sets ALL units to the same attack type (limit losses, ignore losses, etc ...) does it not ?

And on the flip side, I'd like to dictate select units NOT to advance .... How do I do this ?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Usually, I am also selecting limited attack (i.e. no advance) when there is a risk to trigger the disengagement rule if my unit is winning and advancing (see 10.4.10 in the manual).
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Return to “The War Room”