Ukraine 2022 - Beta

Post new mods and scenarios here
cptgoranson

Re: Ukraine 2022 - Beta

Post by cptgoranson »

sPzAbt653 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:51 am Also I kicked out my girlfriend and she took the dog with her, so I have plenty of free time.
Hi sPzAbt653,

Guess we're on the same boat: living alone now so got a lot of time to enjoy TOAW again :mrgreen:
I'll sell the flat in the coming weeks and move on a new home, playing the game is a great way to manage the induced stress (except when my planning is falling apart as a Russian player :mrgreen: )

Anyway, here is another potential issue: the Russian ability to push north from Crimea is very limited imho.
You need to push from Perekop to Kherson and from Dzankhoi to Melitopol and Berdyansk, but the Russian player got too few units to do this. I wait a couple turns to gather my forces before I can invade while I can rush Novoazovsk (oddly, it is in Ukrainian hands at the beginning of the scenario: historically it was DNR-controlled) and even Mariupol from the east.

Russian command did a reversed move: they rushed from Crimea and took a whole week to gather units and supply to attack the strongest side facing them eastward.

EDIT: another thing: the contaminated zone in Chornobyl is putting the Russian player way behind schedule by attacking west to avoid spending too much time crossing the area. It's very difficult to grab Bucha and Irpin, so Ukrainian player can transfer units in Donbass or Kharkiv while historically they were tied by the Russian pressure between February 24 and the end of March.

(sorry for my english btw)

Cheers 8-)
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

the Russian ability to push north from Crimea is very limited
You are correct. Initial deployment details were sparse at first, but more have become available. Next version has more Russian units in Crimea.
it is in Ukrainian hands at the beginning of the scenario: historically it was DNR-controlled
By necessity, there was some guess work involved in this scenario. Let me know if you are aware of such things, and I will look into making adjustments. Coordinates or screen shots always help [I'm not so familiar with Ukraine, and maps are often of little use as many place names have changed since 1941.
the contaminated zone in Chornobyl is putting the Russian player way behind schedule
I wonder how much troops movements thru this area are really affected?

Your English is good, no problems understanding at all! Thanks.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Do you know if Ukraine occupied any of this DPR Territory on Feb. 24, or should their units be moved back west behind the border?
Attachments
Ukr36.jpg
Ukr36.jpg (147.62 KiB) Viewed 704 times
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Looks great ! Good job ! Impressive.
How balanced is it for PBEM ?
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

sPzAbt653 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:47 pm Do you know if Ukraine occupied any of this DPR Territory on Feb. 24, or should their units be moved back west behind the border?
This map shows the control line. Apparently Novoazovsk was under DPR control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Do ... 32022).svg

Cheers
cptgoranson

Post by cptgoranson »

Hi everyone,

Been playtesting some stuff lately, I will have more spare time at the end of the week so expect me coming back this week-end with a lot of new "issues" to solve :mrgreen:
screen1.jpg
screen1.jpg (849.87 KiB) Viewed 626 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Did you move the Contaminated stuff off the roads there? That was also what I was thinking of doing, as I guess you could be motorized thru there without having to slow down. I wonder if the slow-down effect is realistic? I don't know, I've been looking on-line but so far no answers.

It seems the Russian Ground Force reached Hostomel on Day 2, the 25th, which is possible to do if the roads are not 'contaminated'.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

sPzAbt653 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:16 pm Did you move the Contaminated stuff off the roads there? That was also what I was thinking of doing, as I guess you could be motorized thru there without having to slow down. I wonder if the slow-down effect is realistic? I don't know, I've been looking on-line but so far no answers.

It seems the Russian Ground Force reached Hostomel on Day 2, the 25th, which is possible to do if the roads are not 'contaminated'.
Depends on road conditions. A dry (but not dusty) hardtop road could probably be travelled at speed. Dirt or gravel roads kick up the surface layer and associated contamination, meaning the vehicles should be decontaminated after travel through such a zone. That equals lost time and slower movement rate overall. A wet hardtop road can spray contaminated water on the vehicles, which also has to be decontaminated.

Cheers
turenne83

Post by turenne83 »

Hello

A unit is missing (in scénario editor and in play) :

<UNIT ID="253" NAME="Regiment" ICON="Fighter" ICONID="66" COLOR="1" SIZE="Brigade" EXPERIENCE="veteran" CHARACTERISTICS="40009" CHARACTERISTICS2="4000000" PROFICIENCY="75" READINESS="100" SUPPLY="100" GOINGTOX="67" GOINGTOY="94" EMPHASIS="Limit Losses" STATUS="1" ENTRY="37" REPLACEMENTPRIORITY="0">

Have you the same problem ?
Fantomas.jpg
Fantomas.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 556 times
sorry for my english
Noe
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Depends on road conditions.
That is interesting! I guess they did travel thru the area as reports are that they captured Chernobyl. We'll have to keep our eyes open for reports of how they got to Hostomel by the 25th, to see if we need to adjust something.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

A unit is missing
Your English is fine, thanks!

Not missing, arrives on turn 37. Hint: Hit 'F' to check your Formation Reports.

Certainly do what you want, but I don't use xml reports. They are not TOAW friendly and I don't even like them personally ;)
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

To go with what Bill has reported:

According to BBC News, monitoring stations in the area reported a 20-fold increase in radiation levels. Claire Corkhill of the University of Sheffield stated that the increase was localized and was due in part to 'increased movement of people and vehicles in and around the Chernobyl zone that will have kicked up radioactive dust that's on the ground'.

:mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Chernobyl
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

sPzAbt653 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:31 pm To go with what Bill has reported:

According to BBC News, monitoring stations in the area reported a 20-fold increase in radiation levels. Claire Corkhill of the University of Sheffield stated that the increase was localized and was due in part to 'increased movement of people and vehicles in and around the Chernobyl zone that will have kicked up radioactive dust that's on the ground'.

:mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Chernobyl
Been almost 40 years since I graduated from the one-week Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Warfare Course at the lovely kaserne located by Vilseck, West Germany. Guess I recalled something after all :shock:

Cheers
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Hi Steve,

You may found this video useful:
Animated Map of the 2022 Russian Invasion of Ukraine through October 3rd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7c7dLLQOSc&t=33s

Also, from what I have found:
  • Russian initially engaged 160,000 men with no reserves.
  • Around 120 BTG (battalion tactical group) were engaged. BTGs were approximately of 600–900 men with around 10 tank and 40 IFV (infantry fighting vehicle).
  • Russian has lost 1/3 of their tanks on the first month.
  • On the Ukrainian side, they were 34 maneuver brigades, which is roughly equivalent to 100 Russian BTGs but with much less artillery.
  • Ukrainian had also 28 territorial brigades. They were untrained at the beginning but equipped and formed and they were engaged on quiet sectors. It has allowed to relieve maneuver brigades to form a reserve.
  • And, Ukrainian had a national guard of about 15,000 to 20,000 men.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
cptgoranson

Post by cptgoranson »

sPzAbt653 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:16 pm Did you move the Contaminated stuff off the roads there? That was also what I was thinking of doing, as I guess you could be motorized thru there without having to slow down. I wonder if the slow-down effect is realistic? I don't know, I've been looking on-line but so far no answers.

Yup, but it's not working like intended. I'll have to change the hexes to "improved road" I guess. These roads are not dirt tracks or something like that, so it's pretty realistic to do so.

I'll also playtest a lightly enhanced Russian proficiency, this way I can avoid units being in "reorganizing" 2 ou 3 rounds a row, and units running from an enemy attack almost immediately.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Attachments
roads.jpg
roads.jpg (527.95 KiB) Viewed 440 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

it's not working like intended. I'll have to change the hexes to "improved road" I guess.
As reported earlier, we are working on the map as we go, and we haven't got to that area yet :(

It's also the 'Cost to Enter Enemy Hex'. It makes it twice as many MP's to move thru unconverted hexes. Historically though, it doesn't always apply. Maybe that is why some other games have different movement modes.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

v1.19 now posted.

The zip's will start including some photo files of equipment. They aren't necessary for anything, they are an extra, for when you might wonder what something really looks like, it might be in these folders. Throw them away if you don't want them. The first one is part 1 of 4 of Russian Equipment. The files look like this:
Attachments
Ukr37.jpg
Ukr37.jpg (114.83 KiB) Viewed 367 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Been wondering since the beginning when this would happen. It's a shame for the bridge, but war is hell!
Attachments
CrBr1.png
CrBr1.png (137.48 KiB) Viewed 341 times
cptgoranson

Post by cptgoranson »

Hi everyone,

This update is great, thank you sPzAbt653 :D

The russian move in Kherson is definetly smoother, but those Ukrainian battalions are tough :twisted: Even when they break into companies, they can resist a few turns if supported by arty or adjacent units in reserve.

I guess taking Kherson city needs to adjust your power wisely, I could've added a brigade for that push, instead I rushed Melitopol :mrgreen:

But it's pretty historical and you can tie the Ukrainian 79th AB Bde elsewhere by pushing hard around Sumy or Kharkiv.
If you don't, expect some counterattack as early as turn 4: but it's pretty realistic, Ukrainian units are quickly exhausted, no deep progress unless you stack another brigade or two (first screen)

You did a great job adjusting the Crimean force, well done ! Kudos for those extra places too, if I find more spare time I'll post an updated map in the coming weeks.

Cheers !
Attachments
kherson4.jpg
kherson4.jpg (523.28 KiB) Viewed 262 times
KHERSON3.jpg
KHERSON3.jpg (543.44 KiB) Viewed 262 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I don't know why the Ukraine force in real life choose not to defend the Dnipro R. line and instead let the Russians advance all the way to areas north of Mykolayiv. I didn't want the Ukrainian Elmer to do the same, not when there are enough forces in the area to defend the river.

Technically, Ukraine units are a bit under represented [lack of mortars and some other stuff, currently being worked on] while the Russians are a bit over represented [it seems that most of their Battalion Groupings began under strength, but currently they start at full strength]. Once those two items are addressed, we can probably raise the Russian Proficiencies a little bit, which should increase play-ability.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”