Fortifications

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Simon Edmonds

Fortifications

Post by Simon Edmonds »

I have a question on fortifications. Specifically; “Fortified Lines” vs “Field Fortifications”. The manual states; “Once created, Field Fortifications are permanent”. There is nothing specific stated for Fortified Lines so I infer that they are permanent like Field Fortifications. When consulting the manual regarding the environmental effects of Fortifications and Field Fortifications on combat I find that in all cases (13.12.1 to 13.12.5) the effects are identical for both. I note that in 10.4.10 that a Fortified Line gives a higher disengagement chance (2.5x Recon).
The specific statement of Fortified Lines is; “Fortified Line terrain is a special case. The Entrenchment Level of a Fortified Line location is always set to 100% at the start of a Scenario”
Note that it states; “The Entrenchment Level of a Fortified Line is always set to 100% at the start of a Scenario" not; “is always 100%”.
My question is why don’t Fortified Lines lose 25% of their Entrenchment Level when the location changes hand like Field Fortifications? Is this a bug?
Even notable fortifications such as Brest Litovsk, Sevastopol and the Stalin line were trashed by the time they changed hands. Look at something like the Maginot line. It was designed withstand an attack from Germany or a flanking move to roll up the line. Could you see (if they had the troops at the time) the Germans holding the Maginot line against the Allies. No. It was orientated the wrong way.
Hope someone can sort this out.
cathar1244

Re: Fortifications

Post by cathar1244 »

Do they affect hexes, or only particular hexsides ?

Because the map editor can be used to remove them from given hexsides.

I've never tested it, but thought it was hexside effect, which would be more useful.

Re: Maginot line. Some were held by the Germans in late 1944. Obviously easier to approach from the rear, but IIRC, the Maginot Line had turrets that could traverse 360 degrees, so still fire support from the forts.

Cheers
Lobster

Re: Fortifications

Post by Lobster »

A hex that has a fortified terrain symbol affects that entire hex regardless of what hexside it is on. If you mouse over a hex the tool tip will say fortified regardless of whether one or six sides are graphically displayed as fortified. The fortifications remain and I have not seen a way to remove them during a game and entrenchment remains at 100% if the hex is captured.

I have no way of what Norm was thinking nor do I pretend to. But it seems to me that fortified hexes should be more like escarpments where hex sides are affected rather than the entire hex.

They are more like a river hex where they occupy the entire hex and face in all directions at once and your direction of travel or approach does not matter. To me it seems they are more like permanent concrete and steel emplacements rather than fieldworks.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”