How to set up PO

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Apollo48

How to set up PO

Post by Apollo48 »

Hello!
I'm here with a newbie question :) Also, sorry if it has been asked already, I've searched for a question like this but I never really found any similar topic here.
I just got this game a week ago or so, and I like it a lot. The variety of historical scenarios and the possibility of playing almost any kind of historical battle out is really great.
However, while I enjoy playing scenarios, my main focus was on the scenario editor. I primarily bought this game to use the scenario editor.
I've made a few smaller scenarios (20 or so units) and I played them with the computer, it all seemed to work perfectly until I created a medium-sized scenario with a dozen or so towns, and around a hundred units. Upon entering the scenario selecting menu I realized that I couldn't play it with the computer. :(

I've searched the internet, and I understood that to play with the AI, I need to properly set up the Programmed Opponent.
I've given orders to each formation (Attack, Defend etc.) I made objectives and set up their values, I thought that it was ready to go. But apparently I don't know how to make a proper PO (and I didn't find much in the manual either) so I still can't play my scenario with the AI.

Can anyone explain how to create a proper, working PO in this game? Thanks :D
sPzAbt653

Re: How to set up PO

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Your question isn't clear, but I will try to give some answer.

Each Formation needs to have only ONE objective to be a valid scenario for use against the computer [of course, more than one objective would generally provide a better opponent]. In the Editor, check View > Properties. Does it say the scenario is Valid? If not, what does it tell you it needs?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Apollo48 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:39 am Upon entering the scenario selecting menu I realized that I couldn't play it with the computer. :(
Can you give us a screenshot of what you see at that point. What made you think it couldn't be played with the computer?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Apollo48

Post by Apollo48 »

Each Formation needs to have only ONE objective to be a valid scenario for use against the computer [of course, more than one objective would generally provide a better opponent]. In the Editor, check View > Properties. Does it say the scenario is Valid? If not, what does it tell you it needs?
That fixed the issue for me! Thank you. I foolishly thought that all objectives are shared by all formations of a selected Force. After setting up separate objectives for each formation, it works. :D
Can you give us a screenshot of what you see at that point. What made you think it couldn't be played with the computer?
It was the button that lets you select the computer side, and it only switched between hotseat and PBEM. Now the issue has been resolved though, thanks for being willing to assist. :)

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”