Doubt about supply calculations

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
voroshilov17

Doubt about supply calculations

Post by voroshilov17 »

Helo everyone!

First, it is need to say that I have checked all posts I have found in this forum about supply, and that I have already done the amazing supply tutorial of Oberst_klink. Also I have read again and again the part of the manual in which is told the supply theory of the game, but becaouse of not having previous TOAW experience, I think I miss things.

Here is my doubt.
I have made an experiment in the Korea scenario tutorial. I have a tank regiment with 100% supply, and which formation has 75% supply (according to formation report). I have moved it until its movement points drops to 0, and it arrived to an hex with 16 of supply points, ending my tank regiment with a 66% of supply.
At the next turn (i did not attack or anything, not interdiction on that unit), and my tank regiment has 71% supply. How is that? I have been checking math operations trying to know where does this number come from.
The unit moved the previous turn, so we have to take into ccount the 33% reduction of the supply because of that.

Note: The 1 turn starts on 25th of june, and the next turn is on 1st of july, so there are 6 nights (that according to the manual, there are reductions in the supply, right?)

Thank you!
Curtis Lemay

Re: Doubt about supply calculations

Post by Curtis Lemay »

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
voroshilov17

Post by voroshilov17 »

Thank you!

So the calculation shoulb be like this?

16 x 0.75 x 0.67 (moved) x 0.67=5.3868
(No coop HQ or coop SU adjacent)

Previous supply=66%
New supply given=+5.3868

New supply status=66+5.3868=71.3868
Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, where does here is taken into account the enemy air interdiction? According to the manual , it affects the supplies of my force, but where does it affect it? On the hex supply points only, or also in those math calculations?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

voroshilov17 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:39 pm Thank you!

So the calculation shoulb be like this?

16 x 0.75 x 0.67 (moved) x 0.67=5.3868
(No coop HQ or coop SU adjacent)

Previous supply=66%
New supply given=+5.3868

New supply status=66+5.3868=71.3868
Correct me if I am wrong.
That's correct - although I don't know if the fraction is retained.
Also, where does here is taken into account the enemy air interdiction? According to the manual , it affects the supplies of my force, but where does it affect it? On the hex supply points only, or also in those math calculations?
It is taken into account in the initial calculations of Force Supply Level. See attached.
Attachments
Interdiction supply effect.jpg
Interdiction supply effect.jpg (343.33 KiB) Viewed 831 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
voroshilov17

Post by voroshilov17 »

Thank you for your replies!
It is taken into account in the initial calculations of Force Supply Level. See attached.
Yes, but in the math formula..it does not appear right? As you said, it is taken into account within the Force Supply % right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, a pair of doubts more.

1- I have searched the manual and I did not find anything about in which amount does the deployment status (minimize loses, limit loses, ignore loses) affect the supply consummation. How does it affect it? In which amount?

2- One of the modifiers of the formula is if there is a coopertive supply unit adjacent to the unit, right? Which makes a boost of 1.5 as the mathematical formula says.
Correct me if I am wrong or if I am misunderstanding something, but what is told here is the concept of the horses and trucks available (unmoved) of supply units that allows asset sharing that are told on the manual (9.1.7.1) and on the supply tutorial of Oberst_klink?

Thank you!
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

voroshilov17 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:35 pm Thank you for your replies!
Yes, but in the math formula..it does not appear right? As you said, it is taken into account within the Force Supply % right? Correct me if I am wrong.
Location Supply Levels are derived directly from the Force Supply Level and the distance the location is from a supply source. The Location Supply Level then appears in the formula.
Also, a pair of doubts more.

1- I have searched the manual and I did not find anything about in which amount does the deployment status (minimize loses, limit loses, ignore loses) affect the supply consummation. How does it affect it? In which amount?
It has no effect.
2- One of the modifiers of the formula is if there is a coopertive supply unit adjacent to the unit, right? Which makes a boost of 1.5 as the mathematical formula says.
Right.
Correct me if I am wrong or if I am misunderstanding something, but what is told here is the concept of the horses and trucks available (unmoved) of supply units that allows asset sharing that are told on the manual (9.1.7.1) and on the supply tutorial of Oberst_klink?

Thank you!
Transport Asset Sharing is shown in the Situation Report (as in the above post). Effectively, whichever ground units (any type) are not moved may share their transport assets for logistical use. The game handles this automaticaly in the initial turn calculations.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
voroshilov17

Post by voroshilov17 »

Thanks for your reply!

Transport Asset Sharing is shown in the Situation Report (as in the above post). Effectively, whichever ground units (any type) are not moved may share their transport assets for logistical use. The game handles this automaticaly in the initial turn calculations.
That's right! The number appears in the Situation Report. But what does it really mean? Is there a specific formula in which that number takes into account? Does that number really matter? Between which values can it vary?. The manual (9.1.7.1) does not say anything "mathematically specific" about it. It does only tell about the 'Transport Asset Sharing' phenomenon.

Thanks in advance
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

voroshilov17 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:42 pm Thanks for your reply!

That's right! The number appears in the Situation Report. But what does it really mean? Is there a specific formula in which that number takes into account? Does that number really matter? Between which values can it vary?. The manual (9.1.7.1) does not say anything "mathematically specific" about it. It does only tell about the 'Transport Asset Sharing' phenomenon.
Some aspects of TOAW's features are mysterious. That's part of its appeal and charm. But, enough testing could enable you to ferret the relationships out - if you really feel that's worth it to you.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Does that number really matter?
I usually keep an eye on it thru the course of a turn. Certainly it is Scenario Specific, and it can have an effect Supply Levels, noticeable or not.
voroshilov17

Post by voroshilov17 »

Thanks for the responses everyone!

That is what I thought, that this value and system was a mistery, and thus, there relies the charm of the game (simulation).

I think that the correct way is to test and to play a lot and keep an eye on that number and on the phenomenon...to notice any changes.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”