Update v4.1.0.40

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Lobster

RE: Group Movement

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

With Update v4.1.0.40 I’ve lost the ability to move ships and land units as “groups”. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Regards

Maybe hold down the mouse button longer for the popup to appear? I seem to remember having that bit too but don't recall exactly what I did to resolve it.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Turns out that the update fools with the default settings. To restore while in the game follow the path: Play > Default Options > Classic Defaults

This will give you group actions, airfield attack, bridge attack and combat planner.

Regards
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Anybody seeing this problem? I've updated, but the game freezes on start:

Cheers
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Yes I've had that.

I also still have the old colors for the Germans in Arracourt 44 scenario. (Brown instead of grey)

I did an uninstall; install 4.1.0.20
Patch to 4.1.0.40 - still have wrong colors. Presumably something is picking something up from an earlier install (about 08 I think).
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Yes I've had that.

I also still have the old colors for the Germans in Arracourt 44 scenario. (Brown instead of grey)

Patch to 4.1.0.40 - still have wrong colors. Presumably something is picking something up from an earlier install (about 08 I think).

I used same procedure - uninstall; install 4.1.0.20 and patch to 4.1.0.40 - and everything is running just fine - and Germans at Arracourt 44 became grey again.

Using Windows 10 / 64 bits

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Thanks Secadegas.

My laptop is windows 10 64 bit too.

I've gone to my old Win 8 pcs and laptops and got 2 that seem ok i.e. get the German grey back; one isn't.

Am I doing free beta testing for Matrix?

Edit: What was your first install of TOAW4 if you recall?

Edit 2 Ok, I've tried it again on a windows 10 laptop and I get every scenario duplicated so presumably it is reading scenarios from two different locations?

Bizarro.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

If you get wrong colour for units (and duplicates in the list), it's probably because you're loading old versions of the scenario. Most likely these are located in your Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios folder. These are left-overs from older installs.

For the freezes on startup, report it to Matrix support:
https://www.matrixgames.com/member/helpdesk
There's not really much we can do here apart from guessing...
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Am I doing free beta testing for Matrix?

Someone's getting paid to beta test for Matrix? That's a good one. I'll have to remember it for April fools day. [:D]

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Anybody seeing this problem? I've updated, but the game freezes on start:

[s]RESOLVED. Let the program "cook" for 30 minutes on first time start and then it advanced to the next screen, and now functions normally.[/s]

RESOLVED. Installed the .20 base first and then patched to .40 before starting game for first time. Game started with no delay.

Cheers
jmlima

Post by jmlima »

ORIGINAL: secadegas

Yes I've had that.

I used same procedure - uninstall; install 4.1.0.20 and patch to 4.1.0.40 - and everything is running just fine - and Germans at Arracourt 44 became grey again.

Can you save units using the editor?
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: jmlima

Yes I've had that.

Yes, I can.

The unit is saved on the latest scenario folder I've selected.
In this case Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios / WW II - Eastern Front

Edit: Forgot to say that when I upgraded to 4.1.0.40 I also found Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios folder empty. So usually I copy scenarios from C: Programs(x86) / Matrix Games /(…) / Scenarios folder to Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios.
I believe that having a Documents's scenario folder previously selected makes all the difference in this saving procedure.

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Yes, I can.

In this case Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios / WW II - Eastern Front

Edit: Forgot to say that when I upgraded to 4.1.0.40 I also found Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios folder empty. So usually I copy scenarios from C: Programs(x86) / Matrix Games /(…) / Scenarios folder to Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios.
I believe that having a Documents's scenario folder previously selected makes all the difference in this saving procedure.

And if you are working on several East Front scenarios each with a different set of units you end up with hundreds of units to scroll through to find the one you want. Not a good solution. Will it ever get sorted out to where you can tell the program where to save the units again like it used to? ..................................

jmlima

Post by jmlima »

Yes, I can.

You're right, the difference is to have a scenario folder selected in the game so, you open the game, start a new game, select a folder, start a scenario, then close the scenario, go to editor and then you can save units...

How did I miss such an obvious and logical process.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

What a mess.

I've uninstalled and re-installed 3 times today to try and get the correct graphics for Arracourt 44.

I've tried 20 then 40
20 then 21 then 40
Different folder 20 then 21 then 40.

I suggest Matrix make an installer version 40 for new players that puts everything in the current correct place in one go because this re-arranging folders etc.is a shambles.

I've given up; I'll just play with the krauts in brown.

Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I've uninstalled and re-installed 3 times today to try and get the correct graphics for Arracourt 44.

Arracourt is one one the (very few) scenarios shipped with a COL file. This file should be located next to the SCE file in the Program Scenarios folder. Double check you do not have an old version in the Documents Scenario folder or in any of the Graphics Override folders (both locations).

The file is named "Arracourt 44.col" and is an XML file controlling the colours of the forces.

Code: Select all

Directory of f:\Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\WW II - West Front

01.10.2018  16:34            88 776 Arracourt 44.BMP
 08.11.2018  22:44            11 163 Arracourt 44.col
 30.10.2019  03:48           356 228 Arracourt 44.sce

My F:\games here would likely be your c:\Program Files (x86) directory.

EDIT: Also make sure you don't have any older versions of the SCE file either in the Documents folder, as I'm not sure if the COL file actually does anything. It might be built-in to the SCE file now, if so you have the wrong SCE file.
- Norm Koger
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Hi Shadrach, Thanks for your effort to resolve this.

I have exactly the same three files, albeit in the x86 directory.

I have installed the entire game on another PC and Arracourt works OK - with exactly the same 3 files - sizes and dates. Curious.

Thank you for your help. I've got a version that works Ok and the deviant PC will just have to be marked as unreliable.

Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

altipueri: Did you check there are no Arracourt files in the Documents\My Games directory? Any files there will override the ones in Program Files (x86).
- Norm Koger
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

What a mess.

I've tried 20 then 40
20 then 21 then 40

I suggest Matrix make an installer version 40 for new players that puts everything in the current correct place in one go because this re-arranging folders etc.is a shambles.

Sharing your pain here. I just no longer have the patience or the technological proficiency to deal w/ the rigamarole to upgrade to the latest. I'll stick w/ my dinosaur for now ... no issues, other than the interdiction issue, and that is not much of an issue w/ me. I just don't play scenes w/ that issue.

W/ the few other games that I have played in the last few years, "updating" to a new version was quite simple: you press a button, and you're updated. W/ TOAW, seems like I have to do just too much work.

YMMV! For me, I'll stick it out as long as I can, until TOAW V appears.

Have a great New Year!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

What a mess.

I've tried 20 then 40
20 then 21 then 40

YMMV! For me, I'll stick it out as long as I can, until TOAW V appears.

Have a great New Year!

Same guy will be the dev for that so...

Then again, doesn't Matrix do the install program in house?

BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Then again, doesn't Matrix do the install program in house?
Well they do the patches so I'm sure they do the installer to.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”