TOAW IV Vietnam Campaigns

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Daniele

TOAW IV Vietnam Campaigns

Post by Daniele »

The Vietnam War was very unique, it was the first time that the US used on operational level helicopters to transport troops in areas hard to reach and to support ground troops. High trained troops, from small teams of Special Forces to autonomous battalions, were deployed to put in practice new counterinsurgency tactics.

Guerrilla forces fought against conventional ones on a scale rarely seen before.

The Operational Art of War IV offers a huge array of scenarios and campaigns covering almost every military operation that occurred in this conflict, ranging from multi years campaigns to single (but crucial!) battles.

Our forum user Primarchx has done a nice overview of these scenarios contained in the game, giving his impressions and thoughts on scale, kind of units and so on!

Take a look here! It’s definitely a good post if you want to read a bit about this setting!
Grab The Operational Art of War IV now!

[center]Image[/center]
cdcool

RE: TOAW IV Vietnam Campaigns

Post by cdcool »

The main reason why I enjoy the game
If everything around you is blowing up..it's us
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Would be nice if this series:
https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/
gets converted to TOAWIV, was the best in my opinion.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66
Would be nice if this series:
https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/
gets converted to TOAWIV, was the best in my opinion.

Absolutely '66. This is a major scenario. FITE2 in SE Asia. Incredibly detailed. And playable PO! (US/ARVN vs PO PAVN) only. In playable increments (21 turns for Vol 1). The scenario alone is worth the price of the game. (Hint: the documentation, which includes named operations with their VP objective, need to be printed off they are so detailed)

However, I approached Stephane for permission to include it in the beta TOAW and he replied he was not satisfied with the game graphics in TOAW IV and he wanted to rework it. At the time I transferred the scenarios to TOAW IV, including the .eqp files to Graphics Override and I do not see any graphics issues, and several trial turns seem to work.

Perhaps others on the Forum could give a test drive to the scenarios.
Stephane, are you around?
cheers

Attachments
VietnamCo..nForces.jpg
VietnamCo..nForces.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

was not satisfied with the game graphics in TOAW IV
We can probably provide work arounds if he wants to be more specific. No sense him doing the effort if it is for something we have already done.
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

I've taken a look at the site and downloaded a scenario. Just took a look at the PDF file. Wonderful job!!! A game on its own. It would be a shame if these scenarios weren't converted to TOAW IV consistently.

It's also true that his map graphics seem to fit the scenario well.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: Cabido

I've taken a look at the site and downloaded a scenario. Just took a look at the PDF file. Wonderful job!!! A game on its own. It would be a shame if these scenarios weren't converted to TOAW IV consistently.

It's also true that his map graphics seem to fit the scenario well.
I agree.
Frankly, I am not sure any work needs to be done to convert to TOAW IV. I had to rename and re-save the .eqp files. Running po vs po (although ARVN/MACV is not completely programmed) seems to run without glitches. I will reach back out to Stephane to get his input.
cheers
stuka75

Post by stuka75 »

I noticed in the Tet scenario, that my unit, 1/1 Armored Cavalry Regiment was not included in the 23rd infantry division AO. Located between Hoi An and Chu Lai, the southern portion of I Corps.Any way of including this unit in the scenario.
Thanks
Thanks
Stuka
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

double post, sorry
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: stuka75
I noticed in the Tet scenario, that my unit, 1/1 Armored Cavalry Regiment was not included in the 23rd infantry division AO. Located between Hoi An and Chu Lai, the southern portion of I Corps.Any way of including this unit in the scenario.
Thanks

You have proof that that unit was part of the formation you named because you were in the f__k__g unit. If I were you I would fire up the editor and add that bad boy to the scenario. Just copy another Armored Cavalry Regiment, paste it in the formation in it's proper spot, rename the copied / pasted unit it's new name: the name of your unit, and then place that bad boy on the map where you want it to appear, specify which turn it is to arrive in that spot, and don't forget to save your work with a different name than the original name preferably.

I'm hoping there's a tutorial to cover how to do all that somewhere on YouTube. I remember seeing tutorials for TOAW III and I assume it's very similar if you're running TOAW IV. I've seen tutorials for about 15 different topics as of about a year ago. Logistics was pretty informative as I recall. I did the search for you and got about 24K hits. A lot of them are from the steamcommunity.com and reddit.com as well as YouTube.com. Check it out. Good hunting.

https://www.google.com/search?client=av ... W+tutorial
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

I noticed in the Tet scenario, that my unit, 1/1 Armored Cavalry Regiment was not included in the 23rd infantry division AO. Located between Hoi An and Chu Lai, the southern portion of I Corps. Any way of including this unit in the scenario.
Thanks
Thanks for the feedback from a man who was there. Easy to do the fix larry posted. Let us know if you have a problem. Which hex would you place the squadron?

Stéphane did a remarkable job with these scenarios, but no doubt a flaw or two can be found each one. Map, unit, arrival times, etc. None of which really affect the gameplay, but can be an important detail to those who were there.
I am grinding through the scenarios to make sure they "work" and I will make minor corrections. I hope the series can be included in a future TOAW 4 update.

Let us know how Vol 7 plays out.

RAK
stuka75

Post by stuka75 »

Thanks for the replies. I'd place the unit about 71,29. Base camp known as Hawk Hill, or Hill 29. 1/1 was full armored cavalry regiment, hence name First Regiment of Dragoons. Oldest and most battle decorate unit in the Army. Or so we told anyways:) Operated in southern Arizona chasing during the Indian campaigns and I believe the Dragoon mountains south of Tuscon were named after their presence. Hill 29 housed Alpha, Bravo and Charley companies with attached mdic, and organic aerial rifle troop. Each platoon consisting of 6-8 M113 armored personnel carriers and three M48a tanks. Will look into exact makeup of unit, a some details are a bit fuzzy at this point in life.
Unit received two Presidential Unit Citations for its Vietnam tour including one Medal of Honor.
With more information, Id like to setup several major battles of 1968 of which I have the original battle maps involving the 1st and 2nd NVA divisions and the 1/1. Including the first time all three troops/companies were involved in the same conflict/battle.
Thanks
Stuka
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Thanks for the replies. I'd place the unit about 71,29. Base camp known as Hawk Hill, or Hill 29. 1/1 was full armored cavalry regiment,

With respect, I think 1/1 Cav was a squadron (1/1 = 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment), not a complete armored cavalry regiment. The only U.S. ACR in RVN (operating as a unitary, complete regiment) was the 11th. Most of the cavalry regiments were broken up during World War II, and the "Pentomic" and "Combat Arms Regimental System" re-orgs did not reunite them, apart from a handful like the 2d, 3d, 6th, 11th, and 14th which all saw service as complete regiments in the Cold War (and Vietnam in the case of the 11th).

stuka75, my thanks for your service in RVN.

Cheers

r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Cathar1244
You are correct. 1/1 means 1st Squadron. Still a hell of a lot of firepower.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”