AI - Air Power wont upgrade if on Guard Command

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Lothos

AI - Air Power wont upgrade if on Guard Command

Post by Lothos »

After working with the Naval AI heavily for the last two days it finally hit me why the UK Strategic Bomber I locked down with a guard command never upgrades.

It has a mission of 1 Turn to permanently guard the spot which allows it to bomb Germany.

So it makes me wonder if units that have a Guard command will upgrade or not? I know for a fact the Strategic Bomber does not. I have had sims all the way till the end of the game and it never upgraded once.

This makes me wonder if land units that are on a mission (guard in this case) wont upgrade
Hubert Cater

Re: AI - Air Power wont upgrade if on Guard Command

Post by Hubert Cater »

This is correct, currently for WWII games, units that are set to GUARD do not upgrade. The logic was typically that these units would not be front line units and to save the MPP by not spending on them, and prioritizing other units that will be fluid in game, however I can see how that does not always work out ideally as in your example with the bomber.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Hubert Cater wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:48 pm This is correct, currently for WWII games, units that are set to GUARD do not upgrade. The logic was typically that these units would not be front line units and to save the MPP by not spending on them, and prioritizing other units that will be fluid in game, however I can see how that does not always work out ideally as in your example with the bomber.
The reason I locked it down is that it was the only way to have a Strategic bombing war. The AI moves its strategic bombers to North Africa in most games so a bombing campaign of Germany never happens it. It was the only way I could come up with to get the UK to bomb Germany and it did work.

Is their anything that can be done?
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Yeah I'll make an adjustment so this restriction will only apply to Garrison, Brigade or Division unit IDs for the next update.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Hubert Cater wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 pm Yeah I'll make an adjustment so this restriction will only apply to Garrison, Brigade or Division unit IDs for the next update.
But why have the restriction? I would let all units upgrade even on guard mode.

By restricting it then units assigned to protect France or Italy etc.... would never be upgraded (even if the AI has the MP) so once the invasion (DDay) happens they would get cut to pieces.

IMO, just remove the restriction completely.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

It just matched how I had things scripted, where most GUARD units were lower level units so it made little sense to have them upgrade and better for the AI to focus on forward units.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Hubert Cater wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 pm It just matched how I had things scripted, where most GUARD units were lower level units so it made little sense to have them upgrade and better for the AI to focus on forward units.
The AI usually has more MP than it knows what to do with in the standard game and usually spends it on making Elite upgrades. Its not till the end game were he is running very short and that is when those garrison units come in handy to slow down the enemies advance (if the AI is Germany).
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

If I remember correctly it could be earlier on where it needed to push upgraded units forward and not be spending on upgrades where it typically wasn't necessary, e.g. the build up units for Barbarossa as opposed to upgrading units on the coast of France etc.

But there will be some changes with the next update to improve things.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”