Orb & Crown 0.8: Fantasy warfare mod for Strategic Command: WiE

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
El_Condoro

Orb & Crown 0.8: Fantasy warfare mod for Strategic Command: WiE

Post by El_Condoro »

Orb and Crown and Orb & Crown 2402 are available to play in Strategic Command: War in Europe

Orb and Crown is a fantasy warfare mod with a completely new custom map, unit counters (NATO style only) and scripts. Dragons, giants and other fantastical creatures join the knights, praetorians, and keshig of the world's armies to battle for supremacy and to find the Orb and Crown of the Emerald Imperium.

A full AI has been scripted for both the Allies and the Adversaries.

Strategy Advisor included for single-player games in version 0.8 (link to YouTube)

Orb & Crown mod and campaign files are linked here

Download the ZIP files and extract them into your [User]\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command - World at War\campaigns and ...\Mods folders. Do not install to the main Strategic Command game folders (under the Steam installation, for example). Activate the Orb & Crown Mod before playing the campaign and ensure that 3D units are turned off, as the mod only uses modified NATO-style symbols.

Please try the campaign and leave any comments, questions, or criticisms here so that it can continue to be developed and improved.

Versions:
2402 - a campaign that starts later in the war designed specifically for multi-player games. Much of the early randomness will be removed and the armies will be of a much larger size. Diplomacy and Research will be reduced due to events that are assumed to have occurred to that point.
0.8 - Strategy Advisor

For an excellent AAR that also introduces the context of the wars, see here.

Orb & Crown YouTube
Discord
Last edited by El_Condoro on Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:31 am, edited 13 times in total.
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
Lothos

Re: Orb & Crown: Fantasy warfare mod for Strategic Command

Post by Lothos »

Pretty neat!

I been thinking of doing something like this but TRP World War 2 keeps taking all of my time.

Was thinking of doing War of the Lance (Dungeons & Dragons).

Watching your videos, very cool :)
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

Thanks, Lothos. I considered making a map of the Forgotten Realms but the one for Orb & Crown took ages and the FR map has a lot of coastline, so I thought better of it! The YT vids are my first and it probably shows. Cheers.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

El_Condoro wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:54 pm Thanks, Lothos. I considered making a map of the Forgotten Realms but the one for Orb & Crown took ages and the FR map has a lot of coastline, so I thought better of it! The YT vids are my first and it probably shows. Cheers.
I do not play D&D anymore, is this map one you made up or some reference to an existing game?
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

The Orb & Crown map is my own except for 2 islands - Tal'Dorei and Chult, both of which are based on D&D source books.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

El_Condoro wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:03 pm The Orb & Crown map is my own except for 2 islands - Tal'Dorei and Chult, both of which are based on D&D source books.
You give it an AI?
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

No, it is only PBEM and Hotseat. I designed it that way from the start, rather than trying to design an AI with so many 'moving parts' and options. That's why the solo options are hidden on the main screen.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

El_Condoro wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:39 am No, it is only PBEM and Hotseat. I designed it that way from the start, rather than trying to design an AI with so many 'moving parts' and options. That's why the solo options are hidden on the main screen.
This is pretty cool. The map is excellent 👍
I've got a AD&D campaign based on the Greyhawk World (Oerth) mostly in the. western sections of the continent.
It's been going since 1981.
The map editor is perfect for this. It reminds me of Darlene's iconic giant hex map for the Greyhawk Campaign.
I'm going to share your YT links to some of my group.
Very nice job. 🙂
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

Thanks, OldCrowBalthazor. Wow, 1981. I was introduced to D&D the year before. Keep on the Borderlands and my character fell in a pit and died within the first 5 minutes! I kept playing and Dming, anyway, and still remember how great AD&D was. I'm glad you like the mod.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

El_Condoro wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:42 am Thanks, OldCrowBalthazor. Wow, 1981. I was introduced to D&D the year before. Keep on the Borderlands and my character fell in a pit and died within the first 5 minutes! I kept playing and Dming, anyway, and still remember how great AD&D was. I'm glad you like the mod.
I do recomend you create some sort of an AI for it. Figure out a strategy for each side you would like it to follow and the make it happen.

I would love to play the mod but I play in Single Player 99% of the time.
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

I intend to get my hands dirty with some AI coding but it won't be for a while. In the meantime, I play it Hotseat if I want to play it alone and don't run the turn replays - it's amazing how many things I forget I did a minute ago!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I just found out about this an hour ago, and I must say it looks really impressive on first viewing. Outstanding piece of work. :D
Make it so!
Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 »

I put the campaign files in the campaign folder and the mod files in the mod folder (both in the the "user documents etc" path).
When I go to settings and click on mods, I see the mod, but when I go to single player, I don't see the campaign showing up. What am I doing wrong?
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

Hi Darrell999.

There is no AI in Orb & Crown and so no single-player option. Both have been hidden on the main screen. The only way to play the campaign alone is Hotseat. I have done that many times in testing and, although you know what you're opponent is up to (of course!) it is still fun, especially for learning the game. The campaign is intended more for PBEM games.

[Edit]: Although the Single Player options have been hidden, they are still there to click on. The campaign should still show up there.
Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 »

Oops, guess I missed that. Thanks for letting me know.
Keensy

Post by Keensy »

Anyone fancy a game?
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

El_Condoro wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:19 am I would like to introduce a fantasy warfare campaign for Strategic Command called Orb & Crown.

It is a complete fantasy world setting with 5 Allies and 5 Adversaries, plus their minor allegiants. Custom units, diplomacy and research have a medieval fantasy feel. Monsters, humanoids, flying creatures, vast armies, and various ships vie for dominance as their rulers seek the symbols of dominance, the orb and the crown.

Orb & Crown does not have an AI programmed for it and so it can only be played as a Hotseat or PBEM game.

The installation files are linked here. Download the ZIP files and extract them into your [User]\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command - WWII War in Europe\campaigns and ...\Mods folders. Do not install to the main Strategic Command game folders (under the Steam installation, for example). Activate the Orb & Crown Mod before playing the campaign and ensure that 3D units are turned off, as the mod only uses modified symbols.

The Orb & Crown Discord server can be used to leave messages, find opponents or just hang out.

A YouTube channel with some introductory videos and play throughs is also available.

I hope you enjoy the campaign, and if you have any comments, questions, or find any problems, please let me know here or on the Discord server.

Updates:
  • May 30: Version 0.3 of the Campaigns files available
Woah very nice I can tell you have put a lot of work into this! I've always wondered how fantasy would work in the SC series! I take it the series is meant to be played with counters? Are you planning on doing sprites? Great job!
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

Thanks, Tanaka.

At the moment, I am trying to program an AI for the Adversaries/Axis side and that will take me a while as I have not done any AI work before. So far, it's working but I have only tested it on a small subset of all offensives.

As for the 3D units, I would love to, given the time. It would take a while to find the best, most appropriate images and then create them. Time is the problem for now. There is also any issue with what to use as an image on some of them. For example, the humanoid units (small, medium and large) each represent sometimes kobolds or goblins, orcs or hobgoblins, hill giants or fire giants etc. There is only one unit for them, though, so the question is what to use as an image.
WideEyes

Post by WideEyes »

Discord invite is dead. Mind posting another?
Life could be a dream!
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

WideEyes wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:50 pm Discord invite is dead. Mind posting another?
The link has been changed to not expire, now. Thanks for letting me know.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”