TRP - Total Realism Project for War in Europe (1.6.6 Download)

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Klydon

Re: TRP - Total Realism Project for War in Europe (1.0.1 Download)

Post by Klydon »

Lothos wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:11 am Playing with FOG off is a handicap for the AI.

I recommend you do not play with FOG, also suggest you raise the difficulty.

Occasionally (in your updates) I find something I can fix but most of the stuff is embedded AI that (I have tried) but is best not to micromanage because it makes things worse.

Playing with FOG off lets you see and do everything, you know where every single ship is so you do not need to keep a fleet near the UK in case the German fleet comes out. You also know where all his U-Boats are so the U-Boat campaign is pointless. It gives you a huge advantage.

Just saying, if you want to play and have some sort of a challenge play with maximum difficulty with the Experience bonus set to 1 (2 if you are crazy as I find that a bit to hard)
I totally realize that playing with fog off is a big advantage for me. I am looking at this more of a playtest than an actual play through where I expect a challenge. The objective is to see what goes on behind the fog and report what is going on in general and perhaps ask if this is intended, something you can change, etc. I realize most of the time, it isn't something you can change when it comes to the AI, but not being familiar with what is and isn't possible when it comes to scripts, etc I figure if nothing else, you will mention "sorry, can't do anything about that" and if a dev happens to poke their nose in here and sees something out of whack (like the silent subs situation in a game that OCB has been playing) then they know about it.

I also try to mention a few other observations/possible suggestions for change for your benefit that I think might need some tweaking if you see fit. Case in point, the Gulf of Finland with the Soviet fleet and also making it so you can't move across from the west to the south of Vyborg. If the Africa Corps decision phase is different for a human player (they appear in Italy if a human is running the Axis and in Africa if the AI is playing them), then it should be ok. If it appears in Africa no matter what, then that might be something to look at because in the game I have going, no sane player would put the Africa Corps in Africa given the military situation there.

This is a good mod that has a lot of potential, but it needs more playing and testing I believe. You have been doing a lot of tweaks and changes as well, but overall it is just cleaning up a lot of the little stuff for the most part.

While I can see where things are at, I do also try to make allowances for what if it was a fogged game. To that end, I didn't send the entire Royal Navy to the Med in the operation there to sink the Italian fleet. There were a couple of cruisers and 3 battlecruisers along with some destroyers up there to deal with the Germans in case they came out to play. Britain itself still has a decent sized garrison even tho I know there is no threat of invasion. There is also a different way of looking at a "no fog" game and that is more of a war game that you might be playing on the table top and where information is generally known to all players.

While I realize it might be a thing in most Strategic Command games, I am not a real fan of the "ambush" mechanic, especially on land. That is more of a tactical level game thing than what should be in a strategic game. "Sorry boss, I moved my stuff out of order and lost half of a infantry corps because not only didn't I see a panzer corps of tigers sitting right there, but I had no clue they were there. If I had only sent over some air recon or moved a unit slower, I might have seen them and avoided having my infantry corps demolished. However, it is what it is and I have to deal with it under normal circumstances when I do FOG.
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Klydon wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:40 am While I realize it might be a thing in most Strategic Command games, I am not a real fan of the "ambush" mechanic, especially on land. That is more of a tactical level game thing than what should be in a strategic game. "Sorry boss, I moved my stuff out of order and lost half of a infantry corps because not only didn't I see a panzer corps of tigers sitting right there, but I had no clue they were there. If I had only sent over some air recon or moved a unit slower, I might have seen them and avoided having my infantry corps demolished. However, it is what it is and I have to deal with it under normal circumstances when I do FOG.
The surprise thing is easily turned off, tho I cranked it for subs natch (50%). Yeah, any army formation worth its salt will have recon elements, and w/ ships there is radar and scout planes. If anything it's the non-moving side that should be surprised, as the moving side is looking for a fight, while the non- may have half their troops using their latrines or on leave having a fun night out or something, when oops an enemy which wasn't supposed to be there shows up out of nowhere.
Emporer

Post by Emporer »

Hi Lothos

I play around with new map symbols but have not found out how to change the map symbols connected to decisions etc.
Can you help me here?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Captain Jack
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

August 13, 1941. Barbarossa has been rolling after overcoming the border guards. Everywhere the grey tide sweeps forward, except in Finland. In the north, a strong push is coming for Leningrad. The Germans are knocking on Narva's door and took Pskov last turn. They have reached the Luga defense line. The Finns have managed to take Sortavala.

In the center, the Germans have reached Velikiye Luki along with the Vitsbek, Orsha, Mogilev fortified line. They have already put a few dents in it, so I will probably try to re-enforce a turn and then look to fall back on the next line.

In the south, Kiev has fallen and the Dnieper has been breached for the most part. I don't have a ton of troops down there as the main effort seems to be more north. Supplies for the Germans in the south are not real good. The Germans have 12 HQ's on the eastern front, which I find to be a bit much.

The Russians just got infantry weapons 2 and have gotten most of their corps on the map upgraded. They are still short HQ units although they have more on the way. The real issue is having anything meaningful to try to dent the panzers. I have 1 AT unit and have some tank destroyers on the way. Russia is not allowed to build anti-tank guns until the spring of 42, which I find hard to believe but it must be for play balance reasons. I am sorry, but Russia should absolutely be allowed to build anti-tank guns from the start of the game. I am not sure I like the whole anti-tank gun units on this scale of a map anyway. I don't like it in any of the vanilla strategic command games either. I know they are in World in Flames, but in that game, there is stacking and they were divisions that gave a bonus to the stack they were with.

Russia is getting around 600 something a turn. Germany is getting a bit more, but its close. There is a lot of stuff coming so if I can hold on until winter and keep Germany to about a historical advance, I will be happy. There are certainly things I will do differently next time. I had no idea how things would work out with all the mobilized units. Not sure how that can be made clear in terms of what will happen since they don't show up in re-enforcements, you have no idea how much of what is coming.

The Commonwealth has slowed down since they are now shipping as much as they can to Russia. They are still playing cat and mouse with the Germans in terms of air power in France. They have been slowly working on the German air power there. In Greece, they and the Greeks are holding firm. One armored corps came in and started whacking some units, so that has helped the attrition from the Allied side. The Italian armor was also a casualty as well. Crete is home to several RAF units and Rhodes is being blockaded with an eye to give the marines something to do. There are 4 German and minor corps there along with 5 Italian corps. There used to be 11 or 12 or so. The Axis have moved some out and some have been destroyed by the Commonwealth. Iraq is now certified Axis free and the units there are working on redeploying as MPP's allow. The Commonwealth probably could do somewhat of a credible invasion someplace, but there are a lot of units in Italy to fight with and while France is a bit more empty, the Commonwealth just doesn't have the offensive units to expect to get a lot done. I think with this mod, there is a huge distinction in offensive units like mech/armor and just infantry. Most of the British offensive units are in Greece for the moment.

The US will be in soon. They are of course behind tech wise and have built nothing. I will be interested to see how their MPP's ramp up. They have a few units to fix and upgrade and I don't know what they get mobilization wise. I have been working on bomber tech for both the US and the Commonwealth, but planes are very expensive. We shall see how that works out.

Couple of issues that need to be looked at if possible or it might be a case of working as intended.

1. The French have a huge stockpile of MPP (up to 746). They can't do anything with it in terms of research, building units, etc.

2. There is a Finnish HQ (Oesch) that decided that visiting Tromso would be a really good idea to get away from it all. He railed over early and basically spends his turns moving away and then moving back in the next turn. Why a HQ there, I have no idea. It isn't like the Finns can't send a security unit there if that is their concern, but it weakened the Petsamo defenses pretty badly without him there. I don't know if the behavior of the HQ can be changed or not or maybe put a security unit there to start with or some sort of static unit.

While I am thinking of it, I noticed that the French Maginot line troops were called "pillboxes". I don't know how hard it would be to change the names around, but I would think either fortress infantry or static infantry would be far more appropriate and that could also be applied to German units that would eventually show up for the West Wall/Atlantic coast defenses as well.

I don't know how much longer I will go with this one. I am getting the itch to give the Axis a try.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Gave into the itch and started a 1.01 game as the Axis. Poland goes down in 3 turns. Observations are the CW put in a pile of points to re-enforce the Polish army. The Germans got bonus MPP for Warsaw falling, but nothing for Poland falling. Not sure if that is WAI or not, but I think the Germans should get some sort of MPP plunder. The German army is marching to the West to get ready for the campaign there.

South Africans. One of the update notes had the South Africans going to Egypt instead of near Italian East Africa. Apparently the troops didn't get the message as they stopped off in Kenya while the HQ went to Egypt.

Some scrappy naval skirmishing going on in the North Sea by the German coast. 3 German subs are hurt along with 2 cruisers, a destroyer, and a battlecruiser. The German yards will be busy once resources become available to fix them. The allied side is a damaged sub along with a French and British destroyer sunk.

The British strategic bomber tried out its hand at bombing Wilhelmshaven. Nothing I could do the first time. Second time, I had a fighter in range. Score the British 2 points of damage to their bomber and the Germans 4 points to their fighter. Dunno if it was bad luck or not for the Germans, but that isn't a good ratio.

The Italians are recalling their infantry unit from Italian East Africa and are looking to make some noise in Tunisia when they enter the war. They have not done much with the fleet upgrades as they have been working on tech, but those will start soon enough. Reports are the Royal Navy is massing near Cairo. (5 battleships/battlecruisers, several cruisers, 2 carriers, etc). I wonder if they got word that the Adriatic is now mined and will cause damage?

Speaking of the Adriatic, while I agree it should be mined and cause issues with any non Axis units to go in there, I think having all the cities along it act as a trigger isn't realistic. I would suggest removing Venice, Fiume, and Trieste along with Taranto off the list. The Allies did do some amphibious work towards the end of the war up by Bologna. It is too bad you can't do it in phases. (Have one zone be further south at the entrance to the Adriatic while you own Albania and Brindisi and then have it move further up as those cities fall to the Allies. It makes no sense that you can enforce a mine/small craft damage zone from the northern part of the Adriatic all the way south to the entrance).

Thinking more about it, I wonder if the zone should be there once Italy falls. My opinion is it should go away. Many of the small units that would allow Italy to make life miserable in the Adriatic either defected to the Allies or were scuttled by their crews. The Adriatic could still be dangerous should the Germans decide to make it that way (air power), but not in the way the Italians did. The threat of Allied invasions had most of the German high command believing they should make a stand in Northern Italy. Kesselring was the driving force behind making a stand further down the Italian mainland. The Germans would not face near the threat of that in this game if the Adriatic defenses were left in place after Italy fell. They would need some defenses along the west coast of Italy, but not have to worry much about the east coast, etc.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Think you misunderstood. As the Axis you need to hold all of those cities for the Adriatic to have its defenses. If you loose any of it the citiea. The defense goes down.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Lothos wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:15 pm Think you misunderstood. As the Axis you need to hold all of those cities for the Adriatic to have its defenses. If you loose any of it the citiea. The defense goes down.
Yep, I misunderstood. That works too and should take care of the primary reason it was put in and that was an early aggressive move by a combined French/British fleet looking to crush the Italian fleet before France falls.

I think you may wish to consider holding off on doing something dependent on how many French ships are left like you were musing earlier with that affecting on if Vichy is formed or not (or whatever scenario you were considering).
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Lothos wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:15 pm Think you misunderstood. As the Axis you need to hold all of those cities for the Adriatic to have its defenses. If you loose any of it the citiea. The defense goes down.
Hi Lothos.
When is this exclusion zone going to be included in a new patch.?
Ray and I concluded the 0.9.7 beta test...and I would like to casually start testing the newest version you got soon.
Btw I think this is a grand idea plus all the recent adjustments you have done.
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

OldCrowBalthazor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:12 am
Hi Lothos.
Ray and I concluded the 0.9.7 beta test...and I would like to casually start testing the newest version you got soon.
It is in the current version (1.01).
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

OldCrowBalthazor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:12 am
Hi Lothos.
Current version

I been taking a break for the holidays so I have not put anything out. I have a minor bug fix that someone reported that I will take care of this week so I may put out another release by the end of the week.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Anti tank unit discussion:

This has not been sitting with me very well since I discovered that Russia can't build regular AT units until April 42. As far as I can tell, it is the only country with such a restriction and it certainly isn't realistic. To a point, I question the whole AT gun/SP AT gun unit in a strategic based game of this scale. I get that they add some flavor to the game in terms of being a different type of unit, but in a game with no stacking, do they really belong? In terms of game tactics and playing, to me, they act as ambush units against armor, including intentionally moving to engage armor and do as much damage as possible. While they take a lot of damage, they typically inflict more than they take and since they are cheaper units than armored units, the exchange of damage will be worth it in the eyes of most gamers. The towed (regular) AT units are a bit harder with their 3 action points while the more mobile SP AT units are far more dangerous to armor as they have a tendency to move up, hit and then go hide and lick their wounds. I had good success with the French against the German AI in ambushing German armor repeatedly with both units. I succeeded in destroying two damaged German Panzer corps before they got destroyed by the general German advance. My infantry units certainly were not going to hurt his armor.

If they need to be in the game, then think some further examination and some research is needed. I think the anti-tank units need to be overhauled simply on the basis of what is available when. I know this will likely run counter to vanilla, but for one, vanilla doesn't have SP AT units in it and for another, I think AT units are far more important in this mod in terms of finding things that can actually do something against enemy armor units, especially in the early and mid game.

So lets do some general historical background. Standard AT weapons at the start of the war for most countries were AT rifles and small towed AT guns from around 37mm to 47mm in size. At the outbreak of the war, there was no such thing as SP AT guns.

Lets look at each individual major power and at least how things went for the first stages of the war:

1. Germany: 37 mm AT gun in wide use and was the standard AT piece in all units until late 1940 when units started receiving the 50 mm. The first instance of SP AT units were the Panzerjager 1, which was a converted Panzer 1 with a Czech 47 mm AT gun mounted in it. A good number either started the battle of France or joined in while it was in progress.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start and SP AT units available to be built from Jan 1 1940.

2. Italy: Used license built German 37 mm AT guns along with a dual purpose 47 mm gun along with AT rifles. The Italians had very small numbers of AA guns that could be used as AT guns (ala German 88) and while these guns were very effective, there were very few and they were later in the war. For SP AT, the Semovente line started in 1941.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start and SP AT units available to be built from Jan 1941. Given the very limited number of SP AT guns, I would say max 1 unit (which I think that is the case now).

3. Commonwealth: 2 pounder (40mm) AT gun and AT rifles in wide use from the start of the war. 6 pounder introduced later, but not in service in any numbers until April 42. From a SP AT gun perspective, it depends on if you consider the practice of portee to be SP or not. (I would say it would be, but won't fight hard either way on this as they were basically truck mounted AT guns, so they had the mobility, but not the light armor of what is thought to be a Tank Destroyer). First cases of those were against the Italians in 1940.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start and SP AT units available to be build from June 1940.

4. France: Used 25 mm and 37 mm AT guns from the start of the war. Later tank destroyers would come courtesy of their Allied benefactors as the Free French.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start and SP AT units available no earlier than 1944 with the liberation of France.

5. Russia: Used 37mm and increasingly, 45mm AT guns at the start of the war along with AT rifles. SU-76 came into service in Dec 42 followed by all sorts of SP guns and tank destroyers.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start and SP AT units available in Dec 42.

6 US: Had 37mm guns to start followed by 57 mm guns. The first SP AT guns were the M3 Gun motor carriage in August 1941.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start and SP AT units available August 1941.

7 Japan: (included because I know the same basic rules set will be used for the WaW version). Had a not very good 37mm AT gun in the mid 30's. Upgraded to a 47mm in 1942. I don't believe they ever really developed a SP AT gun in any numbers worth mentioning simply because there wasn't really a need for it in the Pacific theater as far as they were concerned.

Game notes: Regular AT units available from the start. No SP AT units available.

As far as the amount of units available, I would rate it as follows based on what seemed to be the importance of AT weapons vs tanks.

Germany and Russia. Both made extensive use of AT guns during the war and fielded among the largest guns with the German 128 and Russian 152. Both also made extensive use of SP AT guns as well, often using them as both tank destroyers and also as assault guns. Given the size of the armies each fielded, both should have the most AT and SP AT units available to be built.

US: While the US had towed AT guns for awhile at the start of the war, these slowly became less important than SP AT guns. The US had over 60 tank destroyer battalions in action in WW2. Of all the armies, the US concentrated most on mechanization. I would give the US very few AT units and a good number of SP AT units.

Commonwealth: They used portee units a lot in the desert in the early part of the war, but this was seen as not being very effective or smart as the war went on. (I don't see why firing a AT gun from the bed of a unarmored truck against a tank would be dangerous at all :roll: ). Converted vehicles like the Archer while effective in the desert, were not going to be effective against tanks like the Tiger and Panther. The Commonwealth did continue to produce SP tank destroyers and also got a lot of lend lease SP tank destroyers from the US. I would say a balanced amount of AT and SP AT gun units would be appropriate. They should have a moderate amount of each, but not in the same league as Germany or Russia and not as many SP AT guns as the US.

France: The weakness of the French AT guns (and the lack of them) is cited as one of the key factors as to why the Germans were able to roll over France in 1940. As covered above, the French didn't have SP AT guns for the most part until the Free French got them as lend lease from the US and Commonwealth. France should probably get 1 unit of AT guns available to start with. After they are liberated and the Free French become active, they should likely get a unit of SP AT guns available to be built as well.

Italy/Japan: Both had small economies and both just didn't have a lot of production in WW2. I would make 1 unit of AT guns available to be built to each and Italy gets the ability to build 1 unit of SP AT guns.

Sorry for the book on this and hopefully it makes sense.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Reason they are not available until 1942 is because they get several by event. I believe I saw at least 4 of them coming by event. This is also done so the Germans can get their historical attack and not be stopped. Russia already gets a big advantage in tanks as they have better tanks than the Germans do. They start with level 1 tanks and are already researching level 2. When they get their reserves (once at war) they get max tech as well.

I get the passion you have for World War 2 and the historical lesson. I have been doing this since my mid 20s (I will be 50 in just a few months) and I have seen people do exactly what you do which is the massive long history lesson with the assumption that I do not know it.

To save you some time, my suggestion first is to ask why first. If I do not have an answer or the answer makes no sense to you then go into the history lesson.

Just trying to save you some of your time. I am sure you rather be doing something else other than write up something that I already know.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Lothos wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:06 pm Reason they are not available until 1942 is because they get several by event. I believe I saw at least 4 of them coming by event. This is also done so the Germans can get their historical attack and not be stopped. Russia already gets a big advantage in tanks as they have better tanks than the Germans do. They start with level 1 tanks and are already researching level 2. When they get their reserves (once at war) they get max tech as well.

I get the passion you have for World War 2 and the historical lesson. I have been doing this since my mid 20s (I will be 50 in just a few months) and I have seen people do exactly what you do which is the massive long history lesson with the assumption that I do not know it.

To save you some time, my suggestion first is to ask why first. If I do not have an answer or the answer makes no sense to you then go into the history lesson.

Just trying to save you some of your time. I am sure you rather be doing something else other than write up something that I already know.
Got it and my apologies on the history lesson if you took it as such. (The written word can suck at times for meaning and intent). I was attempting to justify some of what I was suggesting, but I will take a bit of a different tact in the future.

I still think there are some things that don't seem quite right, especially with the SP AT guns being available to be built early in the game (upon further research). I knew the Italians didn't have them until later. I was surprised at how many other countries (especially Germany) didn't have SP AT guns until well after the war got going. The US seems to be the only one to place such emphasis on SP AT guns and that was more because of their armor doctrine (what tanks should and should not be doing and fighting other tanks was on the list of what they should not be doing) than anything else. Above all, not having the French SP AT gun available for the French campaign will make a big difference in what the French can do against the German armor units during 1940.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Klydon wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:02 pm
Lothos wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:06 pm Reason they are not available until 1942 is because they get several by event. I believe I saw at least 4 of them coming by event. This is also done so the Germans can get their historical attack and not be stopped. Russia already gets a big advantage in tanks as they have better tanks than the Germans do. They start with level 1 tanks and are already researching level 2. When they get their reserves (once at war) they get max tech as well.

Got it and my apologies on the history lesson if you took it as such. (The written word can suck at times for meaning and intent). I was attempting to justify some of what I was suggesting, but I will take a bit of a different tact in the future.

I still think there are some things that don't seem quite right, especially with the SP AT guns being available to be built early in the game (upon further research). I knew the Italians didn't have them until later. I was surprised at how many other countries (especially Germany) didn't have SP AT guns until well after the war got going. The US seems to be the only one to place such emphasis on SP AT guns and that was more because of their armor doctrine (what tanks should and should not be doing and fighting other tanks was on the list of what they should not be doing) than anything else. Above all, not having the French SP AT gun available for the French campaign will make a big difference in what the French can do against the German armor units during 1940.
FYI, Germany had some early models of the SP-AT during the invasion of Russia. They took the Check 38-T and removed the top chassis and replaced it with a bigger gun that was locked in place. The designs were their many years prior to that. Most of the German SP-AT was actually damaged tanks that could be partially repaired.

It was not till the later end of the war when units like the Jagpanther and the Elephant came out as full blown SP-AT designs.

In SC terms it is simulated with the upgrading of these units.

EDITED: One more note, their is a saying that Paradox used when we worked on Hearts of Iron. Gameplay Trumps History. Which means we need to make sure Gameplay flows in a historical way and if we have to do tweaks to historical accuracy to make sure Gameplay works then that is what we do.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Lothos wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:41 pm FYI, Germany had some early models of the SP-AT during the invasion of Russia. They took the Check 38-T and removed the top chassis and replaced it with a bigger gun that was locked in place. The designs were their many years prior to that. Most of the German SP-AT was actually damaged tanks that could be partially repaired.

It was not till the later end of the war when units like the Jagpanther and the Elephant came out as full blown SP-AT designs.

In SC terms it is simulated with the upgrading of these units.

EDITED: One more note, their is a saying that Paradox used when we worked on Hearts of Iron. Gameplay Trumps History. Which means we need to make sure Gameplay flows in a historical way and if we have to do tweaks to historical accuracy to make sure Gameplay works then that is what we do.
Yep, for the most part, the first German SP AT guns were the Panzerjager I's, which were a conversion of the Panzer 1 model that the Germans had a ton of and that were not really very useful anymore as fighting vehicles as they were. They also had a number of the Czech 47mm AT guns and decided to put those to use as the gun for the Panzerjager. As I mentioned, several units were available for the start of the French campaign and more units came on line as the campaign continued. Most of the early and mid German SP AT program can be described as conversions of obsolete tank chassis to something more useful. The Panzer II chassis quickly followed suit along with capture French vehicles. Some of these were armed with German AT guns to start, but most wound up with captured Russian guns and formed the basis of the Marder I, II, and III series. The whole program took on a lot more urgency after running into T-34 and KV-1 tanks during the early days of the Russian campaign.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Bug:

German strategic bomber showed up at Dusseldorf and my HQ that was there poofed.

Observation:

When I declare war on just Belgium or just the Netherlands, the other pretty much remains the same diplomacy wise. This differs from at least vanilla WaW and I think WIE. You declare war on one, the other is put at 99 mobilization and will enter the war on the next turn. This prevents the Germans from conquering the Netherlands first, moving a bunch of troops up to the Belgian border, and then pushing into a "surprised" Belgium the next turn. For the Netherlands, it increases their defensive issues, but not as bad as the Belgians. Either way, I would strongly consider linking them.
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

Klydon wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:30 am Bug:

German strategic bomber showed up at Dusseldorf and my HQ that was there poofed.

Observation:

When I declare war on just Belgium or just the Netherlands, the other pretty much remains the same diplomacy wise. This differs from at least vanilla WaW and I think WIE. You declare war on one, the other is put at 99 mobilization and will enter the war on the next turn. This prevents the Germans from conquering the Netherlands first, moving a bunch of troops up to the Belgian border, and then pushing into a "surprised" Belgium the next turn. For the Netherlands, it increases their defensive issues, but not as bad as the Belgians. Either way, I would strongly consider linking them.
Your HQ should have been moved, please make sure it was not just moved someplace else. I believe it takes 1 turn.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

It did get placed back on the map, but I didn't get a choice on where it went.

If possible, that event needs to be reworked given how important that hex is and what could be there. I absolutely believe most players will find it very annoying when one of their HQ's or an air unit just disappears like that and they lose the use of it for a turn. Certainly having a HQ disappear for a turn could potentially be very damaging to the Germans depending on what else was going on.

There is no warning it is coming to leave the hex vacant and currently, a player can only learn of this through experience. While this might not be too bad in a player vs AI game (reload the previous turn), it could be a mess for a PvP game.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

How important is it that the bomber comes in at that particular hex?
In other words, why not just add it to the production queue?
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Taxman66 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:07 am How important is it that the bomber comes in at that particular hex?
In other words, why not just add it to the production queue?
Seems like a simple solution.
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”