HQs supporting HQs

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
LLv34Mika

HQs supporting HQs

Post by LLv34Mika »

Hi

just reading through the updates of the last two years (thanx for the hint @crispy131313) I stumbled along the supply changes. An HQ supply of 3 or 4 no longer gives me 8 supply for units - it is reduced to 6. But as it seems it is possible to link HQs now?

Is there a certain thing to do or can I just put my HQ into a city of 3 to get the 6 supply and 3 more HEXs away another HQ still gets 3 supply for forther distribution (--> 6 again).

Or will I have to attach an HQ like I attach a unit?
Or am I totally wrong here and it doesn't work.

Thanx in advance
Mika
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Bavre

RE: HQs supporting HQs

Post by Bavre »

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... 97&mpage=1

post 3 point 23 should be helpful. It's a WW1 thread, but those mechanics are identical.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Or just go here:
Basic Supply for Newbies
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

thank you! that answers my question

was totally clear three years ago but I was a bit unsure because of the changes.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Just one observation, the Basic Supply for Newbies post says:

"A lone HQ (at full strength) receiving 5 intrinsic will push 8."

and

"A chained HQ receiving 1 supply from another HQ (pushing at least 8) will itself push 8." (I think this is wrong for 1.21 and above, at least, the "pushing" HQ needs only to be pushing 6 for the chained HQ to push 8, or pushing 5 for the chained HQ to push 6, see below)

The other (WW1) thread says this:

"a) If the first HQ has an incoming supply of 1 or 2 and the second HQ has an incoming supply of less than 3, then the second HQ will have its supply boosted to 5(6).

b) If the first HQ has an incoming supply 3 or more and the second HQ has an incoming supply of less than 5, then the second HQ will have its supply boosted to 5(8)."

This seem to contradict the Basic Supply for Newbies post, unless I'm mistaken?

The most recent patch notes that mention HQ supply (1.21) are perhaps clearer, which say:

HQ distribution supply:
• HQ supply = 0 will have a distribution supply value of 3 (previously it was 5).
• HQ supply 1 or 2 will have a distribution supply value of 5.
• HQ supply 3 or 4 will have a distribution supply value of 6 (previously it was 8).
• HQ supply 5 will have a distribution supply value of 8.
• HQ supply > 5 will have a distribution supply value of 10.
o HQ boosting can only be achieved if the first HQ has a supply value >= 3 (previously it was >
0).
• The HQ to be boosted must have a supply value < 5 and is now automatically
increased to a supply value of 5 which caps its distribution supply at 8
• This will improve distribution supply for boosted HQs that were at 3 or 4 supply (from
6 to 8), and more importantly, will allow them to 'operate' and 'upgrade' now that they
are at 5 supply.

o LOW SUPPLY HQ boosting can only be achieved if the source HQ has a supply value >= 1
and < 3.
• The HQ to be boosted must have a supply value < 3 and is now automatically
increased to a supply value of 5 which caps its distribution supply at 6.

o Between two HQs, the higher rated HQ receives the boost, the lower rated HQ is the source
of the boost.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

"A chained HQ receiving 1 supply from another HQ (pushing at least 8) will itself push 8." (I think this is wrong for 1.21 and above, at least, the "pushing" HQ needs only to be pushing 6 for the chained HQ to push 8, or pushing 5 for the chained HQ to push 6, see below)

You are correct.
However, in a practical sense it is wiser to ensure that the HQ providing support (i.e. Back end or start of the chain) is in a hex getting an intrinsic 5+ Supply. If not, you run a couple of risks: 1) The chain might flow backwards (depending on the HQ value and possibly Experience Pips); or 2) Another HQ might wind up interfering creating a chain you don't want instead of one that you do.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

@Taxman66 - Sure, but in North Africa for the Axis, especially if they don't hold Malta and/or the LRDG are active, "pushing" HQs can't guarantee to have intrinsic 5+ supply...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

Return to “The War Room”