How many units does the Soviets need to build before Barbarossa?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
OxfordGuy3

How many units does the Soviets need to build before Barbarossa?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Am currently playing my first PBEM game as the Allies for more than 4 years (and only my second PBEM game in 4 years) and can't really remember how many units the Soviets need to build before Barbarossa, also what types of unit and when to start building them (assuming an early-ish, rather than late Barbarossa)? Obviously some extra Corps and Armies will be required, and maybe some screening Garrisons, but how many of each? Also perhaps some AA. A second Engineer is nice to have, but to make the most of that, it needs to be built early, but you also need to invest in tech early... HQs and tanks are always nice to have, but expensive, and perhaps not needed until a little later (though can be a nasty surprise for the Axis).
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
klschult

Re: How many units does the Soviets need to build before Barbarossa?

Post by klschult »

I wouldn't build any garrison units, they just die. They're not even good speed bumps. I only use garrisons to invade Finland and protect against airborne drops. (The garrison still dies, but the airborne unit can't occupy the city.))

For early defense, I build corps. Make sure they're always in supply of 5 or more and rebuild them every turn like popcorn. If you trade ground for time you can build a lot of corps between the start of Barbarossa and the time they get to something important. But remember, units are pretty weak the turn they arrive. Try to keep them off the front line that first turn.

I concentrate of research early, but I only ever play the AI. Two in Industrial Tech, then one in Infantry warfare, then then one in Aerial Warfare, then keep up the Industrial Tech and, if the opportunity exists, Production Tech. Infantry Weapons and Armored Warfare are nice but I hardly ever have the money.

I also build engineers early to build a line in front of Smolensk and try to stop them there, Narva and Luga. The further the Germans advance in the South, the easier the counterattacks are when the tide turns.

Caveat: I only play against the AI. Real people are harder to predict. Few humans would let me take out 95% of Finland using only garrisons.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

For Garrison units, I was just wondering whether it was worth trying to use some to screen some of the units that deploy on the turn of the invasion, though from what I remember, they usually all seem to die whatever you do (when playing against a human, anyway...), unless you don't take the Baltic States, in which case you can probably save the ones that deploy near Ostrov, but there are obvious downsides to that strategy too
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

I'm not even sure if a corps is such a good idea. Sure, you can delay the Axis but I only do that on certain locations. In open battles the Axis just breaks through and even gains XP too.

But maybe I should give it a try and use that tactic instead of just wait at fortified positions and wait for the western allies to show up. Most of the time I just use winter to build up my forces. Versus good Axis players it is funny to see how the Russians get pushed back until July/August of each year. Maybe September if you are lucky. And then when the mud season starts you rebuild your army again. And finally the Axis front is somewhat overstretched and it is getting harder to keep the German units in supply. That is my time when I start my counter attacks.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Is it ever worth trying to screen the supply 0 forces that arrive on the first turn of Barbarossa to try to save a few, or just not worth the effort? Also, on which turn should you start building units, rather than just research, before Barbarossa?
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

if you can save units at the start of Barbarossa that is great... they don't even have to make it back. It is enough if the die in the second or third turn at 5 supply or higher to get the cheaper rebuild.

My first picks for research are infantry weapons, tanks and industrial tech. (not in a special order)
the rest may vary

You need units to slow down the Germans but actually the early units (no matter what) are just slowing them down a bit and still give them XP. If they still push forward in 1943 you will have a hard life.

If you ask me the Russians need around 70 units or even more to be a danger at that moment. Later, when you have units with higher tech and the allies helping you need just 50 or something. ...as long as you rebuild them during the winter months again starting with a big number every year.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Thanks, though this isn't entirely true for all the starting units: "you can save units at the start of Barbarossa that is great... they don't even have to make it back. It is enough if the die in the second or third turn at 5 supply or higher to get the cheaper rebuild."

AFAIK the starting Soviet Light Tank and Mechanised Infantry units cannot be rebuilt.

Also for Tech choices, I would rate Infantry Weapons highest, then Anti-aircraft, I think. Tanks and Industrial Tech also are important, obviously, but I think you need 2 points of tech in those first two asap.
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Some people buy a ton of garrisons and put them on the spawn points thus pushing the spawns further E and out of danger. Not sure 1,000 MPPs of garrisons are a good investment tho.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Yeah, I don't think building a load of Garrison units is a good idea

Return to “The War Room”