Strategic Command Blog Post #2: 'Artificial Intelligence'

Thoughts from the dev team on Strategic Command's features.
aaatoysandmore

RE: Strategic Command Blog Post #2: 'Artificial Intelligence'

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Things I've never seen the AI do well.

1. Play to win.

2. Cover it's flanks and rear well. (The Total War series is awful on this one)

3. Stay in well protected areas and objective spaces when winning (Combat Mission's AI was the worst on this one).

4. Research well for the future.

5. Hold a line, not bunch up in a conglomerated mess.

6. Sea invasions. (have yet to see one make a good Normandy Invasion)but, would enjoy various invasions not just Normandy.

7. A decent air warfare in strategy or tactics or both.

8. The ai is too predictable after one or two games.

I firmly believe in 'triggers' and then scripts to those triggers. If/this/then (rnd script triggers) within the parameters of that area or theater.

A hypothetical Normandy invasion with several scripts of other areas the AI could invade based on the trigger. Too many scripts are just that "one" script for a particular area and it becomes predictable. If you have many or several scripts then the player won't know what the ai is about to do until he's played several games of it and then might not see all the scripts for that trigger. But, god forbid holding units back to wait on a trigger if they could be used to win before the trigger launches. Another sort of if this then line of code to release these units set for another script to activate. Sort of a backup script for the script. It would appear Order of Battle and Panzer Corp use these stay put scripts until a trigger is launched and that makes them poor games because of it. There needs to be a free trigger if the 1st trigger isn't launched. Perhaps a turn timer or a real time clock timer but, these units need to be released and not just sit there and do nothing if the trigger isn't launched.

Things like Germany does not always invade Russia would be welcome. Why must all remakes be so much of the same? It's one reason I like Making History more than the predictable others. MH changes history and that's what I want to see more in wargames are what ifs not what was. What if Hitler had been assassinated? [:'(] What if Germany had never invaded Russia and turned its sights more on Britain? What if radar hadn't been invented during WWII? What if Germany had made the A-Bomb first?
If there were scripts to randomize these happenings or not happenings then the play would be more interesting and hopefully challenging imho of course. [:)]

Zuxius

Post by Zuxius »

I'm not seeing this kind of control from the computer AI recently, where it has a screening force before an invasion force. I do see 3-4 Long Range Amphibious Transports traveling unguarded, falling prey to my U-Boots and surface ships, all the time. I take England first.
Zuxius

Post by Zuxius »

I think it would best to create a master plan as to how to take England back after a successful German to English First invasion. It seems the computer knows how to stage in England for landings in France, but is completely lost when it comes to working with a reduced England (with USA) and staging an England take back.
ARAGORN2123

Post by ARAGORN2123 »

OMG.....just broke the Ribbontrop-Molotov pact after crushing Poland and the Soviets declared war in Feb of 1940 with jack squat for armies to fight with. Therein lies the problem I have with SC 2. Not a chance in HELL that would have actually happened. Hell, in the real world of Feb 1940, Stalin knew he had his hands full with freeking FINLAND. The last thing on Earth Stalin would have done is declare war on Germany.

Return to “Developer Blog”