AshFall: Ash vs Will "Newbies once more" (SoE 1939)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Elessar2

RE: AshFall: Ash vs Will "Newbies once more" (SoE 1939)

Post by Elessar2 »

ORIGINAL: AshFall

Panicked and invested chits in spain thinking I might prevent it from joining since it "only" had 94%. Nope. Wasted more MPPs with Britain.

Shit.

It IS possible. Tho in my case it was due to an event firing, I had FINALLY gotten Vichy onto my (Axis) side in one game, "Vichy France prepares for war", 95%...then the unstable Vichy government event fires, back down to 85% they go, had to wait 6 more months for them to finally join me for real.
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

Panicked and invested chits in spain thinking I might prevent it from joining since it "only" had 94%. Nope. Wasted more MPPs with Britain.

Shit.

It IS possible. Tho in my case it was due to an event firing, I had FINALLY gotten Vichy onto my (Axis) side in one game, "Vichy France prepares for war", 95%...then the unstable Vichy government event fires, back down to 85% they go, had to wait 6 more months for them to finally join me for real.

Right, good to know! :)
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 35-47: The pain continues
Title pretty much says it all.

NorthEast Front

Germans slaughter and walk their way north and east with no resistance.

SouthEast Front

Germans slaughter and walk their way south and east with no resistance.

Pictures show where they end up before they have to lift their weapons in anger.

Attachments
36EasternFront.jpg
36EasternFront.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 806 times
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Mediterranean

Germans and Italians slaughter and walk their way east through resistance that does little. Italy loses some ships, Britain loses that many and more.

Carriers turn out to be useless against fighters and medium bombers, a major raid using all available airpower and carriers fail to kill even a single German or italian fighter or bomber unit, despite concentrated attacks (happened the turn after this picture was taken)

Attachments
36NorthAfrica.jpg
36NorthAfrica.jpg (360.63 KiB) Viewed 806 times
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 49: XXX

Bad weather finally turns up something of a reprieve for the desperate soviets.

NorthEast Front

Germans reach Leningrad and the finns kill Soviet troops off the northernmost front. The advance stops before Smolensk.

SouthEast Front

Dneprotovsk and Kiev and surrounded and overrun.

Mediterranean

Brits are getting pushed back, and back… and back. Germans take a rare loss in a tank unit. The massed air raid to try and kill an aircraft fails this turn, the follow up kills a carrier.

Nothing is coming up allies unfortunately.

Attachments
48Allar..sistance.jpg
48Allar..sistance.jpg (600.68 KiB) Viewed 806 times
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 50: New Plans

The entire game so far has been a total shit show. Not only have I made disastrous decisions, missing both opportunities and important messages and circumstance, I’ve also been sickeningly unlucky, paired with some good luck on Wills part particularly in the diplomacy department. The entry of Spain on top of everything else may very well be a death blow to the campaign.

This turn followed suit in terms of my own never ending supply of incompetence. I hadn’t even realized Iraq was actually in the war, and have thus completely failed to move the unit stationed there. I think it’s been like that for 20 odd turns or so. The message was missed in the slew of other information, and a country on war footing is graphically indistinguishable from a neutral one (barring clicking on cities and reading the “100% axis leaning”). So yeah. That sucks.

In general I find the UI and message prompting in this new game the worst aspect of it, among many other interesting improvements. It’s an overall downgrade where everything is noticeably harder to follow and distinguish. I -never- made these kinds of mistakes in the old games, even as a complete newbie.

As of right now the game looks well and truly lost due to everything compounded. I’ll play on through 42 and see if it’s worth continuing. But, I’ll make a serious attempt until then.

Well then. Let’s see if we can change the tune of this AAR a little bit.

NorthEast Front

The Axis are pressing in on all sides at leningrad. With the Soviets losing the winter war and their extremely low income they have limited forces at hand. The only thing keeping the Axis now is the weather. Leningrad is going to fall quickly in the spring, and maybe even before then.

Seeing as Vorzilov is at risk of being cut off inside the pocket I moved him out this turn, and spotting a paratrooper near Leningrad I reinforced Volkhov and Novgorod.

Another issue is that the finns are advancing way north, having cut off Murmansk and closing in. I failed to place defenses here, and one of Wills corps slaughtered the first Garrison before I could react. Bad times.

SouthEast Front

In the south the Germans have started digging in near Kursk, Dneptotovsk fell last turn, and the last Army is cowering in its’ fortifications.

With the low readiness and around the Axis lines, as well as widespread damage on display here, I sense a possible opportunity. It’s december, and the Russian winter event is bound to start kicking in soon. I really should have prepared this much sooner, but my brain has been on full tilt, let’s try to fix that.

Unfortunately, perhaps on purpose, Will has declined to advance far enough to trigger the Siberians early, that leaves me with few offensive units to work wit, and few HQs as well. Regardless, I am assembling a small strike force around Orel, perhaps to continue south before reinforcing. I need to do some kind of damage following the winter effects to blunt the coming summer offensive of 42.

Attachments
49EasternFront.jpg
49EasternFront.jpg (727.96 KiB) Viewed 806 times
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Mediterranean

The med is just incredibly shit. And more or less lost, with Gibraltar and Malta in axis hands. I forgot that Gibraltar is now closed and loaded some special forces onto long range Amphibs for Malta, I guess they will go to Egypt instead where they are going to be much needed.

The RAF is getting it’s ass handed to it by the Axis powers, no two ways about it. Seems to be a combination of air tech, morale and leadership. Ah well. I’ll have to play that one much better next time around.

I’m desperately building fortifications to slow the Axis down as much as possible, but egypt is doomed. There isnt too much I can do about it. I may need to evactuate the Royal navy sooner rather than later to avoid it becoming trapped and easy prey.

The British are hurting on all fronts, and their economy is completely shit.

To that end I increased US convoys to the max, and discontinued convoys to the USSR entirely. The UK needs to focus on the UK for the moment, especially getting some critical research done that it just hasnt been able to, industry among many other things.

Attachments
49NorthAfrica.jpg
49NorthAfrica.jpg (544.73 KiB) Viewed 806 times
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 50-51

I'm going to be Laconic from here on out, the game is over, just hanging on to judge some effects and unit interactions, and learn what I can before I throw in the towel and abandon this mess.

Germans have started moving again, and I got no messages about Soviet winter hitting the Axis. That means I didnt know when to attack, not that I would have been able to regardless since I Was way too slow and inefficient at setting up the thing. In the old games, there was always message prompts telling you when winter struck.

Ah well. Time to fall back and die.

Attachments
51EasternFront.jpg
51EasternFront.jpg (789.83 KiB) Viewed 806 times
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

RN left the med, Luftwaffe is too powerful and we risk being cut off. Germans comissioned carriers and the fleet is needed at home. Tough luck Brits.

Attachments
51Mediterranean.jpg
51Mediterranean.jpg (332.63 KiB) Viewed 806 times
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

In the old games, there was always message prompts telling you when winter struck.

This suggests that the winter event hasn't struck yet, as the settings for this and previous games are the same in terms of showing a message when it happens.

There's a 75% chance per winter turn of it happening once the USSR has joined the Allies, though it does of course only happen the once.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

I honestly didnt see one. Will informed me it hit last turn, so it did occur around February. He also said there wasnt one on his end, just around 1000 dmg or so in MPPs.

About that, does the game still count pure MPP losses off the base cost of the unit (no production tech or the like)

To be entirely honest, my brain hasnt been in this one at all for a long time, and I've missed many, many things. So I couldnt say whether there really wasnt one, or I just missed it somehow.

I saw your PM, and am working on gathering my thoughts on the matter. Thank you for taking such an active interest in the game, as always. :)
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

That's fine, no rush, though funnily enough you have also got me thinking about this issue, but really I'll need to hear more before taking my thoughts any further as I don't want to make things head in the wrong direction.

You can always email me at bill.runacre@furysoftware.com if that's easier, e.g. if you want to include any examples.

As to your question about pure MPP losses, do you mean in terms of the impact of losses on National Morale?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Return to “After Action Reports”