Friendly Match - Ktonos (Axis) vs Mika (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
LLv34Mika

Friendly Match - Ktonos (Axis) vs Mika (Allies)

Post by LLv34Mika »

Hi there...

since Ktonos is right when he says that we shouldn't hijack another thread I thought I might add a few things here since our game turns out to be pretty historical on some fronts and very different in other areas.

What happened so far?

Poland, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg and France have surrendered. I tried to keep up the Russian mobilization as much as I could what worked pretty good.

We had some very bloody battles at sea sinking at least one ship almost every turn for a while. As it seems Ktonos decided to order some new U-Boats to assist the Kriegsmarine. I was able to sink most surface ships but couldn't do anything vs all those always diving subs. (oh well... I'm looking forward to playing the new patch as soon as possible to stop those beasts diving at 0 supply). The repairs were expensive too... at least I can't see too many units showing up in the East.

Our fight in North Africa showed was almost the same. Axis pushing forward and losses on both sides. The biggest and probably most important victory was that I could defeat a German tank force very early. The AT gun followed soon so the two biggest threats were gone.

But I had to pay a bloody price for that and so the Axis kept pushing forward towards Egypt. For several months German and Italian forces were located in the captured town of El Alamein and attacked Cairo again and again. I had to transfer all forces to Egypt. Everything I had! And yes, I was able to stop the Axis even though Italian amphibious troops landed behind my lines two times. El Arish and Gaza! Again I was able to destroy the attacking units but one time they were able to destroy a fighter squadron that was located south of the small towns and suffered heavy damage before.

The downside of my plan to defend at all costs was clear. Also to my opponent. With GB almost empty (one AA in London, one Corps, one Paratrooper) the Germans noticed this invitation and attacked! German paratroopers crossed the Channel and not a single Bitish fighter was ready to intercept. Again the British were able to hold the position for a while but it was a desperate fight only trying to delay the Germans. After a few weeks of fighting the resistance was broken.

But even more important: with units in GB, the German Wehrmacht massing troops near the Russian border and with el Alamein captured Stalin grew suspicious about his "friend" and joined the Allies (a jump from ~75% mobilization to 100%). I think it was one of the key points in our game since the Russians were able to save almost every unit that was unprepared.

Now we are in Summer of 1942. The Russians are retreating in the north and near Moscow but are attacking around Odessa and also gained some ground in Romania forcing the Germans to react. A soviet paratrooper even attacked and captured the oil fields in Romania. Huge damage was dealt to the Axis economy and despite the fact that they won't be able to hold the position it was still worth the operation. Those heroes will be remembered!

In Africa the Axis retreated to el Alamein and stopped besieging Alexandria. I call that a big success. US forces are joining the British every month. The Luftwaffe is pounding everything they can find but the combined allied forces are still holding the position. I can only estimate the losses on German side but I still think and hope that they are struggling too.

In the last days Sweden joined the Axis and the Germans even attacked Vichy France! I think that is an attempt to boost the German economy for the long war that will come.

So with the seas still contested, Africa undecided and Russia about to lose Leningrad, Murmansk and maybe Moscow too I can still be confident. Why? Because in the south the Russians are attacking and destroying Axis units almost every turn. Again... losses on both sides but for Russia it is much easier and cheaper to get new troops and the economical advantage should grow bigger every turn. The Axis fail to make significant progress, the Russian morale is clearly over 100% and more and more US troops are arriving to help the British in North Africa.

So far that was one of the most aggressive fights I've ever seen. I noticed some flaws in his game that I thought I could use but my opponent was also aware of my mistakes and used everything to his advantage. But not enough as I hope. I'm still confident/hoping that if the Germans can't capture Leningrad, Moscow and some NM cities this summer it won't be enough to beat the Russian Bear.

We will see!

Ktonos, salute to you! One of the most interesting matches I have played so far.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

RE: Friendly Match - Ktonos (Axis) vs Mika (Allies)

Post by Ktonos »

I've played about 50-70 games, and this is at least top 5 as far as how interesting it is. Though I believe the intensity will wane in late '43.. By now its pretty evident that I don't have the punch to win the game.

The attack on the Islands started as a diversionary operation. My initial intend was to draw air from the African theatre. It started with some recon and bombing runs over southern England, hoping that maybe Mika would be alarmed and relocate air. This didn't happen so I decided to "sacrifice" my 2 paras to draw his air there. Mika chose to defend with what he got and the diversion transformed to a full scale invasion.

What he lost in UK he gained in Africa though, and after an initial breakthrough German forces were bogged down. One severe tactical blunder led to a turn were my front line had 4 supply, Mika took advantage and destroyed the DAK Panzer. However I was able to push more, and after two italian amphibious invasions to the rear, the allies were disrupted enough that my forces could advance. At some point I was sure that Egypt was won.

The turning point was that one round that I could capture Alexandria and open the straits to Italian navy isolating the entire English force in Egypt. My all out attack in Alexandria saw the valiant defenders surviving with 1 strength. Unable to take the city, my exhausted forces were overstressed and couldn't manage the counterattack. Since then its downhill for DAK.

In Russia all are as Mika describes. The Finns with Swedish assistance just captured Murmansk, but the ability of the Russians to destroy at least 1 German unit per turn this early is an indicator that the game cannot be won.

My one true hope to make the end game very difficult for Mika, is the naval war. Kriegsmarine is destroyed, but so is most of the Royal Navy and the US ships. With Swedish navy on my side, a somewhat operational Italian navy and the U boat fleet, I may be able to deny easy invasions in England, Italy and mainland Europe for quite a while.

PS Regarding the subs, no I didn't buy extra subs.
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

September 1942

The summer is almost over. Leningrad, Moscow are still mine. Even Dnjeprpetrovsk is still under Russian control. And most important - 6 German tank units were destroyed so far making it almost impossible to advance fast enough.

Russians are producing more than 1100 MPPs every turn. Added to the almost 1000 of the western allies that is too much in the long run. Behind Dnjeprpetrovsk Russian engineers set up dozens of fortifications that are ready to be manned should the Germans break through.

Late August/early September was bloody again. German bombers could kill a Russian HQ stopping my offense and in North Africa the Luftwaffe almost destroyed a British HQ. And again Italians were landing behind my lines but got destroyed immediately. Another ship with a few men were destroyed in the port. All in all almost no damage from that operation but it was expensive to start and will be expensive to recover.

Most important is that I was able to advance towards German air fields near the oasis. We will see if the Germans try to defend and destroy the advancing units or retreat. Fighters and bombers located there were heavily damaged but most important is that I know the tech level, experience and condition of the Luftwaffe. And as it seems they are struggling much more than I thought.

The USA have set up strongholds to secure Egypt and the factories at home are producing thousands of planes that will arrive soon. Then the sitution is clear. With the superior air power of GB and the USA the Axis will have to retreat.

...speaking of your dominating fleet. Yep, that is true but it won't help. All I need is my US Zeppelin and/or a maritime bomber to keep you away from the borders. And that is also enough to scout and attack the way south to the --> red sea loop. So even if all my ships are gone it wouldn't make a difference (I think).

When mud starts to slow down the armies, rain prevents any flying operations and winter freezes all plans the Russians will recover and come back with more troops than ever. And so will the Wehrmacht. But then the Russians will outnumber their enemy for the first time.

Btw... do you want to play it to the very end this time? Could be fun against you. And I'm sure it will be a bloody fight all the way back and I'm not even sure if I can make it fast enough to Rome, Munich and Berlin.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

I only quit games that a) its obvious I am losing very very early or b) the opponent is bored (final Allied rampage through Germany can be as boring for the winner as frustrating is for the defeated. So, yes, I am all for playing to the end. Feel free to request me to resign should you find that your not so excited to play the last turns.

East/North: After the fall of Murmansk the Swedish proceed to cleaning operations of the Soviet resistance in the woods of the peninsula. Progress is slow though and they aren't expected to finish anytime soon, though the rail to that area is blocked and Soviet reinforcements are impossible to reach the area at the moment.

Leningrad is safe, and the Soviet forces against the Finns are more likely to make a breakthrough than lose ground. South of the city the Germans secured close positions with artillery support but can't seem to be able to breakthrough and isolate the city.

East/Center: The German formations in front of the city suffer great casualties and are in danger of isolation. Even worse, the Soviets seem to be able to minimize their own casualties in that front. Maybe the most prudent thing is to back up and form a line in front of Smolensk. But when did the Germans do the most prudent thing in this match?

East/South: To my surprise the Soviets pressed on despite losing their HQ. The way it is with many Soviets in low supply assaulting my weakened positions south of Kiev, this could end in disaster for either side. As I am the underdog of the war, I will take any gamble I can to turn the tide.

Africa: A high risk op was taken by the Allies and an army group of considerable strength assaulted the airfields around the Oasis. In doing so though they got too far behind enemy lines. The Germans chose to stand ground and counter attack behind this army group hopeful that they could isolate it. The american rearguard formations broke but the isolation wasn't completed. I doubt that thay can have more than 1-2 supply next turn.

Atlantic: I got greedy and pressed on with most of my fleet to hunt the UK carrier in US waters. I think I will end up losing more than I was ready to lose next turn. Fleet needs to refit and be ready to disrupt ambitious amphibious movements..

Dorky8

Post by Dorky8 »

Its a War of Words WOW!!!

A picture is worth a thousand words

[>:]

LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

It's risky and overaggressive again but I was able to stay...

A german fighter unit was destroyed in North Africa and supply should be reduced. I guess the air war there is won now. Again the Luftwaffe has the option to stay and fight or retreat and be safe. Almost no ground units are left to defend vs the incoming attackers. Even an Italian battleship could be sunk with help of the arriving forces.

Southwest of Moscow an undersupplied army was destroyed. One heavy artillery and one corps are shuttered as well.

The hot battle in the south continues as Russian forces even advance and rush towards German airfields again to attack the tactical bombers there. Now the Germans have to react again to stop this attack. They are far away from following their own plans.

And finally the German sub deployed in the black sea was encirclet east of Odessa. It is floating there heavily damaged (Str 3) and will probably be sunk the next turn(s).

Most important: a British Carrier docked in an US port could be repaired despite continues attacks from surface ships and submarines. It was expensive but I hope it was not without avail. The only fear I have is that the ships keep attacking while I don't have the time to repair AND attack. ...and luck punch with my poor air ship. Could be a sysiphean task... have to see.

Screenshots from our battles may follow soon.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
nnason

Post by nnason »

ORIGINAL: Ktonos

I only quit games that a) its obvious I am losing very very early or b) the opponent is bored (final Allied rampage through Germany can be as boring for the winner as frustrating is for the defeated. So, yes, I am all for playing to the end. Feel free to request me to resign should you find that your not so excited to play the last turns.

All,
SC3 should be fun. Fun means either side must have a decent chance of winning. I think this is the case with SC3 with Allies having a slight edge. While there are lots of good ideas floating around on how to improve SC3 (I love current Naval mod ideas that are in testing.) changes need to be thoroughly tested to be sure they don't imbalance the game.

I agree with Ktonos' thoughts about when to surrender. For me I would add a third criteria. Between the start of Barbarossa and the Summer of 1942 if there is a significant imbalance of forces who will win can be plainly determined. For example, if the Axis has 2 cities of the big USSR 3 and has a 3 to 1 ground advantage they are going to be able to polish off the USSR and prepare for the USA's invasion. Of course if the Allies own the Med, then the Allies might want to continue. On the contrary if the Axis hasn't taken any USSR major cities and the balance of ground forces is only 2 to 1 for the Axis, then the Axis is unlikely to be able to pull off a victory.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

I have seen games in which GB was conquered, Africa too, Russia almost down and GB (fleet still alive) and the USA landed in Egypt, set up a bridgehead and stopped the Germans Stalingrad was down. In that game the Russians even lost Stalingrad later but retreated more and more to save units, wait for better tech while the US and GB airpower took advantage in Africa. Finally, when the Russians were almost down the Germans HAD to transfer more and more troops to Africa to prevent that the US might attack Italy. And that was the point when the Russians started gaining ground again.

All I wanted to say: it is over when it is over. Sure, there are situations in which there is really no chance but the map can show a horrible picture but you still have a chance to win. ...if you find it.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
nnason

Post by nnason »

Some great points that I had not thought of.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

ORIGINAL: LLv34Mika
All I wanted to say: it is over when it is over. Sure, there are situations in which there is really no chance but the map can show a horrible picture but you still have a chance to win. ...if you find it.

The allies always have a chance to make a comeback. The Axis once they are in the "slippery slope" mode, never seen them to turn it around. At least in the games that I've played with either side and the AARs I've checked.

Speaking of slippery slopes, the Axis just entered it.

East/North: Not much changed, it seems like trench warfare

East/Center: The anticipated disaster finally came for the German forces in front of Moscow. AGC had to withdraw or face destruction. The rearguard of the withdrawing ops is expected to further endure casualties

East/South: More bad news, the westernmost Soviet formations are far more resilient than expected due to supply shortages. AGS is split in two, with one part retreating towards the Polish border to stand its ground and the other forming defense lines around Kiev and being supplied by the northern rails.

Atlantic: Took some shots on the carrier but the navy is ineffective after months in the ocean

Africa: One more UK Battleship was sunk in the Red Sea by Graf Zeppelin. Italian and German forces counter attacked to seal the pocket east of the oasis, largely being successful, but the luftwaffe had to evacuate the area, mostly because the oasis was bombed and in low supply. Scouting of the enemy forces reveals the inevitability of defeat for the in Africa.
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

My African forces are attacked over and over again but since fresh troops are shipped in every day it is more important to keep up the pressure. The Luftwaffe retreated, could not repair and I have fresh units.

The carrier Graf Zeppelin was sunk in the sea north of Alexandria. And the sub in the black sea was destroyed too. Finally also a destroyer was sunk near the Canadian coast. Maybe even the sea domination of the Axis is in question now.

Near Moscow some Russian troops advanced again and destroyed another artillery unit. Defensive capabilities are reduced every turn. I guess the Wehrmacht will have to retreat even further to set up strongholds before winter arrives.

Mud and rain all over eastern Europe stopping any effective counter offensive.
Over 2000MPPs produced every turn.

The total army size now shows that the tide has turned.

Attachments
army size.jpg
army size.jpg (150.03 KiB) Viewed 549 times
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

East/North: the silence continues for a second month
Center: Bulk of AGC set defensive lines in Smolensk line, with several forces in the rearguard slowly following
South: Germans persist standing their ground were able. As the retreat shortened the lines, defending forces are somewhat more dense

Africa: The Italians pummeled the isolated units near the Siwa oasis. I consider the whole endeavor there a minor success, especially if the remnants of the pocket can be eliminated.

Production disparity is dooming. Noticed that the soviets got their armored warfare tech very late - if they had it by spring 1942 we would be in the final months of the war by now; Maybe the Soviets chose to take industrial techs over armored
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

Siwa oasis is re-conquered! The supply is getting lower and lower for the Axis and air superioriy is mine. Eisenhower promises that nothing that can not fly will leave the African continent alive.

I have to admit that I'm also a bit surprised how strong my Russians are and how "easy" (well, I'm losing units every round) they hold their position even though they lost one important commander. That one is already back btw. I think it has to do with the pretty high Russian national morale and I also think your units lack experience due to the many repairs you had to make early. That pretty much shows how important these factors are.

The Russians will now consolidate their powers and wait for better equipment and more units in spring 1943. Meanwhile the US and GB forces will advance to put more pressure on the Axis from the south.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Nat morale for both powers is at 99%. A fair chunk of my units in the eastern front had 1 or 2 pips of exp at Spring 1942

I simply put this on:
a) numbers of Soviets (extra units on DoW and an unusual high income for USSR)
b) lack of air support for the Germans in the east / overcommitment of air in the African front
c) Your southern front army was probably ready and resting with HQ support and 9-10 supply (while resting) for a couple of months. This is the optimal way to play the Soviet counterattacks imho, sacrificing some front units delaying and tiring the Germans while a counterattack formation rests with HQ support behind the lines.

Near Leningrad Germans attempted an assault on the positions of the 22nd army south of the city. The Soviets there are battered but survived continuous artillery barrages and coordinated attacks by the Wehrmacht.

In the center the retreat is somewhat stabilized. Probably Smolensk is safe for the winter

In the south the Soviets seem to at last ran out of steam as attacks on their forward elements despite the bad weather are now far more effective than before.

In Africa Allies take casualties for each sandy kilometer they gain; Luftwaffe heroically try to disrupt their supply lines amidst heavy allied air superiority. A new panzer formation arrived and managed to scatter the advancing american army. The mediterranean is now contested by the combined remains of the UK and US fleet. Most alarmingly Turkey is slowly disillusioned by the German rhetoric.
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

The Germans got very very lucky with a sand storm preventing most allies planes to start and make their job. Nevertheless the combined allied forces were able to attack and destroy german bombers. A scouting unit revealed the poor condition of the remaining German planes. Holes in their wings, no fuel or ammunition and broken hulls everywhere they could see.

The last German attacks had no fighter escorts anymore so the damage dealt was not too much. In return the Luftwaffe had to suffer. Again.

So far 3 German fighter units, 1 medium and 1 tactical bomber squadron was destroyed in Africa. As you can see the port is damaged too and it will stay that way. The only thing the Germans can do now is delaying my advance. It is hard or almost impossible to ship new units there. Doing so would be a suicide mission anyway since they will never make it back with no ports working. The Allied bombers will make sure that no unit will leave Africa alive. And with Malta still under British control even supply will be a problem.

In Romania Russian troops captured a city and port putting even more pressure on the Germans. Sooner or later they will have to relocate more and more forces to protect their ally and they will miss them somewhere else.

Turkey already had around 80% pro Axis leaning and is down to 67% now and it is sure that they will stay out of the war. Saudi Arabia just started their exports to the USA making a total income of almost 2200 MPPs each turn for GB, USA and Russia

It is December 1942... we have reached our historical turning point. The Red Army promises a big offensive for spring/summer 1943.

and btw... merry Christmas, Ktonos. Thank you for playing! But I still wait for the one or other ace you have up in your sleeve ;)

Attachments
northafrica.jpg
northafrica.jpg (94.87 KiB) Viewed 549 times
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Merry Christmas Mika!
I may have a couple of surprises in me but I doubt it will be anything that will make you stress.

East / North: Narwa was captured, enduring an alternative supply line to Leningrad front in case the Pskov one is cut off by a Soviet surprise attack via the swamps or with paras. Other than that we have a Mexican Standoff.

East/Center: AGC holds its ground 300 miles east of Smolensk, but the gathering storm of the red hordes is disheartening. Not only they are plenty, they are teched up, further depicting that Mika spread his research in several departments, and must have had several breakthroughs.

East South: The Soviets persist advancing despite casualties. Still, this is the front with the best kill ratio for Germans in the whole map, but this will probably change as Soviets have stabilized their supply lines.

Africa: DAK had to counter destroying an English army, and then retreat close to Tobruk or face encirclement and destruction. Turn by turn the organized withdrawal has more and more chances of turning into a rout.
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

January 1943

The "Desert Fox" Erwin Rommel is heavily wounded or dead. His convoy was spotted by allied planes and attacked several times. Now North Africa turns into a desaster for the Axis. Being incapable of any counter attacks the remaining forces are panicking. Another Italian maritime bomber destroyed comes just on top.

Not many news from the front near Moscow. Only one corps destroyed and slowly advancing. Still waiting for better weather and more units.

In the South Russian forces are doing some repairs, get new equipment. The only news come from Romania since more and more units are landing there putting more pressure on the German minor partner.

Here a list of what was destroyed so far. It's like Christmas in a sloughterhouse!

Attachments
losses.jpg
losses.jpg (250.08 KiB) Viewed 549 times
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Following weeks saw heavy snow forcing a stagnant front from Leningrad to Bucharest; Some opportunistic skirmishes here and there but nothing serious or coordinated. The Finns are reinforced by the Swedish in the Mannerheim line.

In the mediterranean the commision of the new Italian carrier brought some optimism and hopes that the allied carriers will become more timid in their shore raids. This was short lived though as it was ambushed by British subs north of Benghazi and it is expected to be lost during the following weeks.

The Desert Fox attended the funeral of von Bock, where his chief of staff read an article in the New York times. "ROMMEL IS DEAD" the title said. The battle hardened veteran chuckled and threw the paper on the coffin of von Bock, to accompany him in his grave.
LLv34Mika

Post by LLv34Mika »

The Germans will gain some experience in holding a funeral for Generals soon. With no more ports to leave Mr Rommel will follow General von Bock pretty soon.

At the moment two German units are cut off from their supply chain.

In the Mediterranean Sea the worst fears were realised when US long range bombers found the damaged carrier and attacked. The new carrier and the escorting destroyer are sunk. Mussolini must be furious.

If I can continue that way even the seas are safe again. Maybe even safe enough for a possible re-conquest of the British Island.
"Oderint, dum metuant."
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

The northern suburbs of Leningrad were assaulted by the combined Finn-Swedish forces, with meagre results. At the same time south of the city the Germans had better results in their assaults as a Shock army was almost scattered, their remaining elements saved by retreat.

In the center the front is stabilized but the disparity of forces depict that another retreat will be forced on the Wehrmacht sooner or later

In the south the Luftwaffe had its first good foray in a long time. One red fighter squadron was shattered in its airfields, as was the headquarters of some Soviet general. Abwehr warned OKH of a series of Soviet airborne assaults.

In the Balkans there was nothing of note

In Africa the isolated units were freed and withdrew towards Tobruk. Rommel enjoyed a bath in the warm waters of the Mediterranean and then had his breakfast, roasted chicken with mayonnaise.

Return to “After Action Reports”