The World at War ELO Tournament

DmitryN

Re: The World at War ELO Tournament

Post by DmitryN »

And you are right, I guess Fanfir planed sealion from the beginning, but in 1940 I was very well prepared for it. I even had some troops all the way 1941 and even begining 1942, but then send everything to other fronts. Both fleet and land units.
Bavre

Post by Bavre »

Well that match sounds wild! First one I heard of that was not decided by Barbarossa.
About the Carriers and the HQ: my guess would be diligent xp grinding. HQs have def 0 vs carriers and as I understand the formula, xp basically works like bonus atk and def for everything. So a high xp carrier can get a 0:2 base attack vs an unentrenched HQ without AA, one of the 2 attacks rolls high, et viola.
In my last match vs EarlyDoors I straightup killed one of his chinese HQs with my carriers alone, took me 5 or 6 attacks however, as it was still early in the match. Those things are really vulnerable.
DmitryN

Post by DmitryN »

Actually our last play with Lonerunner (AAR of which you are reading) also was not decided by Barbarosa. It was sucessful, but does not give victory. If Japan can be killed 43-44 dead USSR hardly help.
Bavre

Post by Bavre »

You're right of course, but in that one Japs were basically dead from the start, so I kind of mentally excluded it :?
DmitryN

Post by DmitryN »

Pakkavilamoura (axis) lost to DmitryN (allies) Japan just lost 2 HQ, jap planes attaked by China land units, few jap land units just surrounded etc. Everything seemed like China will be libereted by chineese troops only
Taifun

Post by Taifun »

New ELO game has started:

Taifun (Axis) vs. DmitryN (Allies)

Usual ELO rules + No early attack on Japan. Our 3rd game, 1-1 score so far.
La clé est l'état d'esprit
DmitryN

Post by DmitryN »

DavidDaily (axis) lost to DmitryN (allies) Germans and Itallians with all possible forces tried to take at least Paris till september 1941 But without any result.
taffjones

Post by taffjones »

New game started

taffjones (Allied) V Pekkavilamoura (Axis)
DmitryN

Post by DmitryN »

Scoldgamer (allies) lost to DmitryN (axis) sealion Turkey entered the war etc.
Taifun

Post by Taifun »

Taifun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 pm New ELO game has started:

Taifun (Axis) vs. DmitryN (Allies)

Usual ELO rules + No early attack on Japan. Our 3rd game, 1-1 score so far.
Taifun resigned April 1941. Early attack by Japanese forces on Australia and Burma in October 1940. A fiasco, got nowhere and lost 2 CVs plus several capital ships. With no Pearl Harbor strike possible Japan was in deep trouble. Well played Dimitry!
La clé est l'état d'esprit
DmitryN

Post by DmitryN »

Thanks for the game Taifun! Actually this time both your strategically decisions (In North Africa and Japan assault against UK) were quite unusual and somewhat illogical. If you wanted to take Tunis and Algeria why did you withdraw Italian forces in the beginning of the game and gave me possibility easily take Lybia spring 1940? It is too easy to block single port. Regarding fleet battle between UK and Japan you just split your fleet as UK had everything in one place with help of martimate bombers, which determined the result.

I am ready for rematch if you want.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

Game #151 [LOSS] ElvisJJonesRambo (Axis) vs Bavre(Allies) ---

French campaign was reasonable.
Germans went for Egypt, got Iraq, and eventually Turkey with no problems.
Had to go for Turkey, Allies were pouring in Diplo Tech, had 2-Panzers / 2-Tactical + Artillery + HQ + Fighter + Army
Barby, make a bad move. After getting Kiev, sent units North to help Smolensk attack. Dumb.

Western Allies landed in North Finland
British Carriers trained in Norway forever.

Japs took Hawaii and the usual suspects in Pacific
Japs avoided the early trigger.
Got slowed in Southern China
Took some damage, but nothing big, didn't matter.

United States left the Pacific theater completely, only got 1% hit for per turn for Hawaii.
Western Allies landed for those juicy Baltic Ports, avoided France alltogether. W
Was game over once ports grabbed, all German defenses were geared for France.

*** Army Group North got completely surrounded and destroyed, UGLY !!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by ElvisJJonesRambo on Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace & safety as Satan's superman arrives -- The people get what they've always wanted
Bavre

Post by Bavre »

You unfortunatelly mixed up the names ;)
ElvisJJonesRambo

Bavre wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm You unfortunatelly mixed up the names ;)
Fixed. Good game. We shall meet another time. I'm playing US Civil War these days. But sure I'll like a mix.
Peace & safety as Satan's superman arrives -- The people get what they've always wanted
Jackmck

Post by Jackmck »

Taifun wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:49 am
Taifun wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:53 am New ELO game:

Race to Victory 39 scenario. ;)
Taifun (Axis) vs Jackmck (Allies). Standard ELO rules.
ELO Game ends fall 1942. Jackmck (Allies) lost to Taifun (Axis).

I am very disappointed with this player. We used to play 1-2 turns per day but when things turned bad for the Allies he slowed sending me turns (1-2 per week) and started a new game with another player. He did not write to me or explained why.
Then the Soviets lost Perm and Kuybyshev during the summer 1942 and Moscow was about to fall, being surrounded by my forces, he stopped sending any turns. That is inexcusable behavior. This kinds of behavior should be avoided, that's why we organized the ELO tournament, and should be punished. We love this game. It is time consuming, demands concentration and rigor and players should think first if they have the guts to play to the end or just stay playing the AI.

I propose to penalize players that ghost games (for inexcusable reasons) with 100 points in our ELO tournament.
TAifun,

My sincere apologies. I needed a break from this game.
Nonetheless, I think we can learn some if we continue. It is impossible for the Allies to avoid an Axis Tactical level victory, but an Axis minor or major victory is still possible.

In this game, you were masterful in minimizing Axis costs and did an excellent job of concentrating on the USSR. I anticipated your emphasis on research but am a little curious on your priorities- what order did you pursue research?

This is the closest game that I lost. In other games in which I had intervened in France and Italy, the USSR was able to survive. I reflected on what went wrong for me and here our my thoughts:

- UK must commit more to defend France. Maybe not a fully "all in" strategy, but I should have done more initially to ensure France either survived longer or the Axis losses were greater.

- UK must concentrate on Murmansk and lend lease as soon as possible. Although not completely ready and likely to face substantial losses, the UK must enable the convoys to the USSR in 1941- USSR absolutely needs though resources then. It was too late after. In Iraq I should have enabled Lease Lease sooner and had units to protect the convoys.

- Allies need to accept larger risks. I don't like gambling, but with the Axis strategy you used, the Allies needed to risk more to attempt to regain the initiative. Perhaps attacking Denmark and invading into the North Sea- or attacking Norway right after the Fall of France. Very difficult but I feel i missed some opportunities.

The game can still be interesting and the Axis have some choices to make although guaranteed of some victory. The surrender of the USSR and how the Germany exploits this will be interesting should you wish to continue. I think I can still force an Italian surrender and seriously injure Japan by 1945 but we shall see. China and India will be in trouble and the Allies must defend London at all costs.

Apologies again for the delay. Please forgive.
Jack
Jackmck

Post by Jackmck »

New ELO game has started:

DmitryN (Axis) vs. Jackmck (Allies)

Usual ELO rules but Early attack on Japan permitted.
DmitryN

Post by DmitryN »

2 game stated DmitryN (axis) Redshirt (alies) and DmitryN (allies) CapitanHafock (axis) asked them both about having enough experience. Both told they have. I doubt but nobody else want to play
Zarevic

Re: RE: The World at War ELO Tournament

Post by Zarevic »

taffjones wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:17 pm New game started Zarevic (Axis) V Taffjones (Allied)
taffjones (Allied) WINS against Zarevic (Axis)

by total axis annihilation in 1946... it was a nice game :)
Zarevic

Post by Zarevic »

New ELO game started:

taffjones (Axis) Vs Zarevic (Allies)
ElvisJJonesRambo

[WIN] ElvisJJonesRambo (Allies) vs Archmache (Axis) ---

Very interesting game. Both Japs and Yanks went for Subs. The Pacific action was intense. Americans wanted to take out Japan first. Massive Naval battles throughout. Majority of the cash went to the Pacific. Japan surrendered in late 1943 due to ports being snagged, and poured in ground units. The Rising Sun was broke.

In Europe, the Germans had well managed experienced units. Armies had Elite status and were blasting Russians on a regular basis. Since I was light in MMPs in this theater was forced to due suicide missions to get Panzers outta the East. Yanks would find an empty or easy port (Italy, Southern France, etc), then just send in 6+ inexperienced Corps to distract the Panzers. Yanks were cannon fodder. Patton even died (twice). Well, he believed in reincarnation, so he got his wish.

Once Japan surrender the whole fleet pestered Italy. My opponent, had many experience Tactical Planes too. He did alot of damage, but could not win based on MMPs.

Return to “Multiplayer Sessions”