Soviet Navy in the Pacific

Moderator: Hubert Cater

wirkey

Soviet Navy in the Pacific

Post by wirkey »

In my two recent games with Allies I placed the russian destroyer you'll get in Vladivostok.
I think it's a massive game changer cause it can help spotting IJN movements without the risk of getting sunk.
Of course Japan could DOW on the Soviet Union but that might be a big price.

Not sure what can or should be done about that, but I wonder why this haven't come up yet.
Maybe give the US a mobilization penalty if there are russian ships in the pacific?
Chernobyl

Re: Soviet Navy in the Pacific

Post by Chernobyl »

I don't really see the issue. What in particular do you think is so important to spot? I feel the Soviet destroyer would be more useful elsewhere, actually.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

I see the issue of a non-belligerent Major Power like the USSR tracking the movements of the IJN while they are happily neutral a big exploit.

I would suggest for MP to house rule that the Soviet DD (or any other Soviet vessel) be confined to 2 hexes of it's Pacific littoral if the Axis player requests that.

In SP...well if you like to play that way so be it...it's your game after all. MP is a cooperative venture though. 🙂
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester (First Wave)
wirkey

Post by wirkey »

What there is important to spot? How about the majority of the IJN carrier task force?

And I don't see this destroyer being (more) useful in Europe. All they can do is trying to locate some german subs. And I doubt there are many players going for ASW with the SU.

But I will refrain from doing it again in MP games, as I think it's a bit fishy.
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

Ok you are right. It probably shouldn't be able to be placed in the Pacific.
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

In my scenario I crafted some scripts which punish Russian sightseers who wander too far from neutral Russian ports by dropping the USSR's war readiness.
wirkey

Post by wirkey »

Elessar2 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:58 pm In my scenario I crafted some scripts which punish Russian sightseers who wander too far from neutral Russian ports by dropping the USSR's war readiness.
that wouldn't solve the issue once the SU is at war with Germany
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

It could be set to reduce the USA's war readiness instead?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”