If at first you don't succeed, invade Belgium!

John B.

RE: If at first you don't succeed, invade Belgium!

Post by John B. »

Upon further reflection perhaps I should not have reminded my esteemed opponent KorutZelva that the game could be continued. :) Basically my goal now is to hang on long enough to embitter my pixel citizens and make them thirsty for revenge! Yes, things are that bad. Here is the remnants of my fleet that limped back to Germany. The losses were kind of equal (a little more for me) but no major victory to carry me forward. I have one oos sub that is at 1/3 strength sitting on the unrestricted warfare hex that is giving me a small morale boost each turn but otherwise the Germans are a bit melancholy about the whole thing.

Attachments
Fleet.jpg
Fleet.jpg (528 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

A good example of how the German heart just isn't in it anymore is here in Poland. You see the Russian corps with 6 strength left? I took out its trenches with 4 artillery strikes and attacked it 6 times with German infantry who have level one weapons and did 4 points of damage. I may need to make a Downfall meme about this. :)

Attachments
PolandDec1915.jpg
PolandDec1915.jpg (516.68 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

In the mid-east Jeruselum fell (again) and the Russians are pushing in the Caucuses. In Italy it's a stalemate and in serbia my guns are lumbering forward. Here in France Belgium and Luxembourg have been liberated and he's taken Aachen. The morale of German infantry hovers in the mid-50s while the A/H morale is in the 80s. Still, I'm not beaten yet and the war continues!

Attachments
WestFront1915.jpg
WestFront1915.jpg (347.72 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

We made it into 1916. No change in Russia although apparently the Ruskies are sitting on 1,200 MMP and just waiting to upgrade their troops.

Attachments
EastFront1916.jpg
EastFront1916.jpg (554.21 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

I killed another Serbian corps as the grind down on that front continues. Bulgaria is only 7% pro-Central and clearly not joining in. The Arab revolt has struck and the Ottomans are blaming the Germans for the war and assaulting German officers. This is not a good sign.

Attachments
Serbia1916.jpg
Serbia1916.jpg (306.62 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

And, just waiting on the Western Front. I think there is a WHOLE LOT of allied artillery that will pound me to dust but I'm not dead yet.

I did just get a German upgrade in infantry warfare. Not sure what good that will do me, but, it's unlikely to be bad.

Attachments
WestFront1916.jpg
WestFront1916.jpg (485.4 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

It's February 1916 and I have big news. I killed a French Corps. That's right, it's dead! I wonder if this means the game needs a new patch or something since that has not yet happened in the game. :) It died under a hail of shells. But, at least it died!

Attachments
FranceFeb16.jpg
FranceFeb16.jpg (424.49 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

And a Serbian corps!!!!

Attachments
SerbiaFeb16.jpg
SerbiaFeb16.jpg (361.14 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

And even a Russian corps.[X(] Now, note the bad news that the Russians have inf. level 1 weapons as well. And, I'm not posting the Turkish front, it's very sad. On the good news, Germany just developed artillery weapons 2 and A/H has Gas shells so I may be able to pound a bit more before I collapse. Both Germany and Turkey are now bribing their people to stay in the war. Oddly, he has left my little sub alone in the unrestricted warfare box. We'll have to see why that is.

Attachments
RussiaFeb16.jpg
RussiaFeb16.jpg (543.61 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

It's May 1916 and things are continuing along about the same. He's killing corps faster than I can build them. Here on the Western front three corps have died. In fact, it may not show up in this picture, but the A/H have sent a corps to help out.

Attachments
FranceMay16.jpg
FranceMay16.jpg (411.39 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

In Russia I did kill another corps and took another hex. A long slog to Brest Litovsk. Let's see if I'm still around by the time that I get there. :)

Attachments
RussiaMay16.jpg
RussiaMay16.jpg (482.21 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

And Serbia where the serbs have an artillery unit, but they are also looking just a little creeky.

Attachments
SerbiaMay16.jpg
SerbiaMay16.jpg (343.53 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Well it's July 1916 and, as you can see from this photo from the Western Front, it's all over but the shouting. My hope had been to hold long enough to make progress elsewhere (it was a faint hope, but a hope nonetheless) but that has not panned out.

Attachments
FranceJuly16.jpg
FranceJuly16.jpg (372.11 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Even the Italians have no trouble breaching my trenches. This means Cardona is going to be hailed as a genius so expect random executions to become the order of the day in the world's armies after this one is over. :)

Attachments
ItalyJuly16.jpg
ItalyJuly16.jpg (343.2 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

The big place I needed to make progress was Serbia but, even with the artillery, by the time I got going it was too late.

Attachments
SerbiaJuly16.jpg
SerbiaJuly16.jpg (329.75 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

My main mistake in the opening was letting the Russians run into NM cities and I was never able to make up ground. I kill a corps here and there but even taking Warsaw it was not enough to make a difference.

I did have one secret plan that I have aborted since it won't help in this game. But, in the next one. :)

Attachments
RussiaJuly16.jpg
RussiaJuly16.jpg (583.96 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

That does look a bit painful in the west, but hopefully you'll have better luck next time!

Thanks for the AAR, I've enjoyed following it. [:)]
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Another defeat for Central Powers where no "Russia first" strategy was employed. [8|]

Is it even possible to win with CP in this game with a strong (historical) gambit in the west against an Entente opponent of at least average capability?

Do AARs from such a match exist on this forum? I'd like to read one of those, maybe I just missed any.

Commander the Great War: Director's Cut
PotzBlitz Mod:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=77884
John B.

Post by John B. »

"What? Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we say it's over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!" (thank you John Belushi)!

Good news this time. The Ottomans left the war so no more whining about picayune issues like "we're starving" or "the Entente is conquering all of our territory." They got a perfectly good battlecruiser out of the deal so they should shut up and be happy. Even better, it will cost my opponent a fortune in MMP to transfer all of his troops! Meanwhile, on the Western front, as you can see I'm going to be saving a lot of money because I don't have nearly as many troops to civilians to feed. :)

Attachments
FranceAug1916.jpg
FranceAug1916.jpg (556.93 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Not much happened on the eastern front or serbia. The Russians killed more troops and basically conquered Galicia. But, I killed another Russian corps!

Attachments
RussiaAug1916.jpg
RussiaAug1916.jpg (406.53 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
John Barr

Return to “AAR”