Eastern Front 1915

BillRunacre

Re: Eastern Front 1915

Post by BillRunacre »

That is a good image!

Pressing F4 will hide most of the interface, and in terms of the Iron X mod, it would require making a copy of it and then moving/changing some of the graphics within it to be more appropriate for the Russo-Polish War, and to fit in the right places.

You can try doing this in an image editing programme, if no one is willing to step forward and help make a decent set for this campaign!
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi!
For those few who follow:
- I've set the Victory conditions scripts
-I've set the NM objectives set
- I've finally set the graphics for non-standard units: Austrian Infantry; Siberian Infantry; Guard Infantry(Germans)
- I've set strategic advice for both sides

It might seem not so much but believe me it takes time :D Anyway basic frame of the scenario is set, step by step, I will add more details to it.
Cheers to all!

Jazon
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

I've been following and want to test but alas have too much on my plate atm! (factoring in the application I made to join the beta test for SC-ACW). I still owe you another match with your Polish-Soviet War mod as the Poles and Ukrainians ( really want to do that now with what's going on currently)
I should have time this summer.
Also...posting here because I'm having weird stuff with the PMs. I can recieve PMs...and can respond to them. But if I send an original out...they just go to the 'outbox' and stay there. Going to contact Slitherine and try to get this resolved.
Jazon..if you got an e-mail address I can use...PM it to me..and I can send one back.
I have traded email addresses with a folks here that I frequently work and play with on these games, and it circumnavigates around the the Matrix site when it acts up.
Cheers
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi,
I've sent you a PM with my email, and i write here just in case. I've checked my box on the forum, it is also strange...Can you tell me did you received the message I've sent you?
Jazon
Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-19 221612.jpg
Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-19 221612.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 636 times
OldCrowBalthazor

I got it and a email address too from you. I send one back with an email address I use for gaming and other functions.
So I figured out when a message is sent via PM...it sits in an 'outbox' till its recieved and opened I believe. Very confusing! 'Sent' PMs are ones that are opened. 'Outbox' messages haven't been opened.
Totally dumb.
Anyways we got comms other than the Matrix PM now.. :D

SC-ACW Beta Tester
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi!
I am writing to assure those who follow this thread, that the work on this scenario is still on.
However, after deploying units, setting Victory conditions it is time to do some digging. It is not that hard to find the troops names and location (although it requires methodical approach&research), the difficulty lays in giving the scenario depth. By this, I mean to input as much as possible flavor of the historical events, atmosphere and special features.

As for historical accuracy - I’ve just read a book written by polish historian Dr Stanislaw Czerep called The Great Winter Operation of World War One (original title: Wielka Operacja Zimowa Pierwszej Wojny Swiatowej). It was almost 500 pages of very detailed description of Second Battle of Masurian Lakes. Thanks to the maps included, and summaries made by author [he was able to visit Russian Archives in 2000’s) I could adjust the experience, quantity and combat features of the units in my scenario. I mean by that, I can assure you guys that for every division on the map, north to Vistula River, I have confirmed their position and condition (quantity, experience, equipment). I made notes about the information I’ve found in the book. If you will wonder why German XXXIX and XL Core divisions have Infantry Weapons Level 1, believe me, I can provide an answer based on the scientific research.
However I need to read at least two more books, one about bloody fights in the Center, at Bzura River position, and one more monograph about southern theater with Austro-Hungarians fighting Russians. I will need to read through the Carpathian winter offensives, and battle at Gorlice, where Central Powers turned the tide and broke into Russian Front. This will take some time.

As for atmosphere and special features.
I am thinking about adding for Germans special weapon. Yes, you might have been guessing right. The Gas. Mostly it is known that poison gas was first used on Western front at battle of Ypres in 1915. Actually, Germans used the chlorine gas first on the Eastern Front (January 31st 1915), and did it several times during 1915 campaign. At this time Russian army did not have any gas masks, soldiers could only tie wet cloth around their face. Hence, this new, terrible weapon had significant impact to the fight.

For the period of scenario (Feb -Sept 1915) Chlorine gas was used 3 times:
- On May 31st at Majdan Bolimowski (near Sochaczew); Germans spread chlorine gas from 12 thousand gas cylinders on Russian positions. Wind blew the gas above first line of Russian trenches, but it fell on the second line. 53rd Siberian Rifles Regiment which defended that position lost this day 3144 soldiers, died and poisoned, which meant 96% loss in its manpower. Altogether around 9 thousand Russian soldiers were poisoned, and 1100 died on the spot. It was the biggest gas attack in First World War on the Eastern Front.
- On June 12th at Zakrzew (also near Sochaczew) Germans spread chlorine gas from 4500 gas cylinders. Three thousand Russian soldiers got poisoned, and one thousand died on the spot. Germans were able for the first time use this for tactical advantage and they advanced 3km into enemy territory.
- On July 6th at Wola Szydlowiecka (again near Sochaczew) Germans spread poisonous cloud from 9 thousand gas cylinders. 5 to 8 thousand Russian soldiers got poisoned. At one place wind suddenly changed direction, and around 1.5 thousand Germans also got poisoned.
-On August 6th at Osowiec Fortress, Germans used 30 gas mortars and spread Chlorine at Russian positions. After that 7 thousand Germans marched into the Fortress, but they were met by bayonet charge of around 100 Russian survivors. Germans panicked and retreated.This event was later known as Attack of the Dead Men.

Ok. This is what research tell us. But how to implement that in the game? I was thinking about letting Germans produce “Gas Unit”. It would work like V1 rocket in Strategic Command World War Two. After use, the “Gas Unit” would cease to exist. It will be able only to harm “soft” targets. Should eliminate some HP and devastate Morale. It should be costly and take some time to build, so Germans could use it only 3-4 times in this scenario. Problem is, I don’t know yet how to implement this in the editor. I am suspecting it is possible, but maybe somebody can give me a hint?

Other features I would like to include are those about supply. In operational scenarios MPP income should be given by script, not by occupied territory and resources, because map doesn’t cover whole combatants countries. So, I should asses their production by some value given; for example 100 MPP’s per turn.
Carl Von Clausevitz said: There is nothing more common than to find considerations of supply affecting the strategic lines of a campaign and a war. He was the father of German Modern Warfare, and his disciples took his words deep into their hearts. German supply chains were efficient and well organized.
On the contrary, Russian logistics and supply were a mess, because of bizarre organization structure. This aspect many times led Tsar troops into defeat. I can reflect it in two ways into the game:
1.The easiest way is to give Russians less MPP income then Germans. But that is just a simple way to express abundance or lack of supply.
2.The other way is to make supply unstable. That is in my opinion more realistic, and historical way to show the difficulties that Russian Commanders had. For sake of the example let’s say the Russians had as much supply as Germans, but because of poor organization it was often stuck, and didn’t reach the front line on time. For that I can write a script, that will, with let’s say 15% probability per turn, stop Russian supply. So, in some turns Russians will receive less then usual, or even none MPP’s.
Austro-Hungarian army should also got similar vice, because it was known for its legendary bureaucracy. Poor supply was one of the main reasons why Austro-Hungarian offensive in Carpathian mountains in January 1915 failed.

I am curious what do you think guys? I add a photo to bring your attention :)
Cheers
Jazon
KaiserWilly.jpg
KaiserWilly.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 570 times
OldCrowBalthazor

Man I am impressed! The unstable supply sounds like an intriguing idea. Also I like the shell ideas.
Never seen that image of the Kaiser btw. Notice how he has his withered arm under the greatcoat?
Anyways keep posting!

SC-ACW Beta Tester
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

It's great to see how designing the scenario is inspiring research... which is in turn inspiring ideas for the scenario! :D

I can't think of a way to actually have a disappearing unit in this game (if you were using the WWII: World at War engine then the Kamikazes would work, at least in that respect).

But perhaps you can use a Strength script, possibly controlled by a Decision Event?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi,
Thank you guys for reading and comments:) This keeps this project going :D

BIll Runacre: Well two scripts combined? That seems a bit complicated, but who knows? Do other idea I have is to set this Unit as "Gas artillery" and just make it max shells: 1 and somehow make it resupplying ammo for long period of time? Ideal would be stuff like Kamikaze or V2 rockets. Maybe i can work with N/A slots in the units editor.

Old Crow Balthazar:
Unstable supply is actually easy to make in scripts, and I will try it out for sure. As for Kaiser Willy I discovered pretty recently about his withered arm.
Sometimes when I commute I listen Mark's Painter History of the Twentieth Century podcast. Apart from main historical events, he often adds anecdotes, such this about Wilhelm's crippled arm. It got me ponder how did handicap formed future German Kaiser, and led him into war.
But the best part is that Kaiser "Willy" & Tzar "Nicky" actually were relatives, and wrote their correspondence in English.

After all this books and studies I do when I have time my mind us full of ideas for new features in WWI gaming. However some things are hard to implement in existing game engine. I wish there were possibility to change attack mode for Infantry for example. I would made an option of Assault, where unit would gain 1.5 strength in attack, but doubled the losses.

Cheers All!

Jazon
mdsmall

Post by mdsmall »

Hi Jazon,

Your ideas about unstable supply are intriguing and might be useful in other mods. Off the top of my head, you might be able to write a supply script for a Russian general which reduces the supply of units within a specified range - in other words, a general that randomly screwed up the supply to his own troops.

It is not hard to write scripts that combine a Decision Event (either a dummy decision or an actual choice) with another script. You just set the LINK variable in the second script to DE number and yes/no outcome for the DE you wish to use. That gives you more variables to play with, between the two kinds of scripts.

Cheers!

Michael

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”