Various minor bugs

Checksum

Various minor bugs

Post by Checksum »

Hello and good day,

I found some bugs; nothing major, but I keep noticing them, so I thought I might as well post them here. Could they perhaps be fixed with the next Update?

1. If the UK ist not in the war yet, it will protest "German" naval movement whenever Austro-Hungarian ships operate near Algeria. The Austro-Hungarian supreme naval commander, Admiral Haus, protests strongly against his ships being mistaken for the German navy.

2. a) A piece of the Basento River (at 179, 104) is just called River.
b) A piece of the Kama River (at 254, 65) is just called River.
c) The Italian River at 175 110, 176 110 and 176 111 lacks a name. The closest real-life river I cold find there is the Alcantara.
d) All of the Caucasus Mountains and all the various Persian Mountains are just mountains, not high mountains, even though many of them are as high as the highest mountains in the Alps. Poring over all of them might be too much work, but at least the Damavand (249, 114) and the Ararat (233, 106) should be upgraded to high mountains.

3. MPP losses due to shore bombardment are not shown in the statistics. Perhaps they could be added to the Strategic Bombardment graph?

4. Destroyers do neither morale damage to land units nor can they damage resources (quite logically, given their size). They should therefore not be able to attack land targets. Right now, they can and can thereby unjustly if slowly build up experience.

5. If a save game from the middle/end of any turn is loaded, the combat-related actions that were taken during this very turn and up until the save game was made, are displayed like it was the beginning of a turn (unit destroyed, town occupied, etc.). Afterwards they are forgotten forever, i.e. they are not written to the combat losses summary and military activities summary, which thereby remain incomplete.

6. Any unit that is bombarded by a recon bomber (not sure about other air units) gains 0.1 experience, even if it has an attack of 0 against planes and therefore cannot fight back.

7. Various countries lack logical alternate capitals:
a) The Ottoman Empire should/could have Angora. Admittedly that should be evaluated carefully, as it would prevent a clean decapitation by occupying Constantinople. Still, given that all other majors have one or more alternate capitals I'd say it would be fair.
b) Switzerland should have both Geneva and Zurich, which are large towns perfectly capable of housing the Government. The lack of an alternative capital is particularly striking given Switerland's highly federalized nature - France and the German Empire were far more centralized.
c) Alexandria should be the alternative capital for Egypt. It was important both as a major city and a major port. It also seems unlikely that British rule would collapse immediately after the loss of Cairo.
d) Benghazi should be the alternative capital for Libya. Libya being very decentralized back then, the loss of Tripoli should not let the whole Italian adventure crumble.

8. The German naval port at Heligoland (160, 70) does not exist even though it was a major port for the High Seas Fleet and a lot had been invested into it prior to WW1. Is this because the Island is too small for the map to create a port there or can it be fixed?

Finally, a suggestion for the Call to Arms scenario: If Germany does not declare war on Belgium - or perhaps if there are not at least two German units on Belgian territory - by turn 2, then (similar to the decision to send the Austro-Hungarian 2nd army under Böhm-Ermolli against Russia) German mobilization should be delayed by 1 turn, making the 6 corps that mobilize in the Rhein-Ruhr-Area (at 160-161, 77-80) available 1 turn later and also costing another 75 MPP additional mobilization cost. This should make the Russa-First-Strategy slightly less comfy while still keeping the option open. It is also more realistic and in line with the German mobilization plan which had a very precise, inflexible schedule and did not even envsisage a potential Russia-First-Strategy. The claim by the German Supreme Army Command that primary mobilization against Russia would only result in a chaotic crowd of disordered people without supply ("wüsten Haufen ungeordneter Menschen ohne Verpflegung") is probably overblown, but there would definitely have been delays and some disorder.

P.S.: Thanks a bunch for the 1.08 Update which solved many of my pet peeves. :D
BillRunacre

Re: Various minor bugs

Post by BillRunacre »

Thanks Checksum, I've made a note to look at these.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
mdsmall

Re: Various minor bugs

Post by mdsmall »

Hi Checksum,

You raise a number of interesting questions which I would like to consider for my current Icarus mod for the 1914 campaign. Since these questions are more appropriate in the Mods Forum than Tech Support, I will post my comments there.

Michael

Return to “Tech Support”