Emperor of the Fading Suns Mod

Moderator: Vic

Sandow

Emperor of the Fading Suns Mod

Post by Sandow »

This is an overhaul which replaces cards, event screens, music and sounds to blend with the Emperor of the Fading Suns universe. If you are unfamiliar with EFS, I recommend that you download the mod and try it out, because the world of Shadow Empire meshes well EFS, and I think will give you a more enriching game experience. None of the changes affects the rules or events of the base game.

Note: For the best experience, I recommend using this mod with the excellent Terrain Mod by mroyer, and the Eddy Vegas UI Mod.

Additional Note: In addition to offering the full overhaul, I have broken down the mod into separate downloads so you can pick and choose which aspect of the mod to enable, if you don't want the entire conversion. Each sub-mod (as well as the main EFSAllmods) comes with an uninstaller, so you can go back to the vanilla game at any time.

Name: Emperor of the Fading Suns Allmods (v1.1)

What it does: Combines all of the sub-mods below into one easy to install package

v1.2 update: Added a ton more cards. There are about 30 cards that still sport the vanilla graphics, but the majority have been changed with themed artwork.
v1.1 update: Added 30 more cards. Changed a few of the card graphics for something more fitting. Finally removed the 'accountant guy shaking fist' and 'two high school principals standing on the steps of the school' events screens and replaced them with appropriate sci-fi artwork. I just couldn't stand seeing them any more. Also replaced a few of the lackluster event screens for the same reason.

Name: EFS Scars N Tats
Download : EFSScarsNtats
What it does: Replaces portraits so that characters now have tattoos and battle damage. Replaces the portraits on many event screens with more interesting faces (although I'm still working on that bar scene event screen, so please be patient with me)

New Faces:

Tweaks to the event screens:

New artwork on many (but not all, still a work in progress) cards:
(By the way, someone should tell Vic that 'MOTHERLODE' is misspelled)

---------------------------------------------

Name: EFS Font Mod
Download: EFSFontMod
What it does: Increases the legibility of the 'typewriter' font. This is a subtle change, and seems to be acceptable to the vanilla game. In other words, it doesn't go too crazy with formatting. You may see the font misaligned slightly on a few screens, but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Original Font:
Updated Font:

Name: EFS Tile Mod
Download: EFSTileMod
What it does: Creates a subtle change to the tiles. Gives a slightly deeper hard bevel and black border to the tiles to make them more visible when stacked.

Original Tiles:
Updated Tiles:

Name: EFS Music Mod
What it does: Replaces two music files with tracks from the original Emperor of the Fading Suns computer game.
Download: EFSMusicMod

Note: The greatest improvement is that the score doesn't have that orchestral CRASH when you access the main screen. Also, the battle music is pretty awesome! Both tracks mesh very well with the existing sound files.

Name: EFS Button Sound Mod
What it does: Replaces the digital beeps when buttons are pressed or 'mouseovered', with sounds more fitting for a chunky, military interface. Gives the buttons a nice, manual, analog sound.
Download: EFSButtonSounds

Note: If you are only going to download one of the EFS mods, make it this one! It doesn't sounds like it does much, but I guarantee that you'll notice an immediate difference in the feel of the game. There is something very satisfying about the button presses with this mod.

Name: EFS Flag Mod
What it does: Gives the option of using classic Emperor of the Fading Suns heraldry for your nascent empire!
Download: EFSFlagmod

New options for emblems

Update 1/28/22: Verified that all mods listed including 'ALLMOD' are compatible with the most recent release

newageofpower

RE: Emperor of the Fading Suns Mod

Post by newageofpower »

Ooh! I really like the harder unit borders.

Interesting take on Stratagem Cards.
Tchey

Post by Tchey »

Nice mod, thanks.

I love Fading Suns, the pen and paper role playing game.
* Jeux1d100 ? Le blog Jeux1d100.net sur les jeux indécents et Linux, et la chaîne YouTube *
Nsf665

Post by Nsf665 »

Niiice. This is great! (especialy those cards) :)
thanks

I just updated your screens so it fits my graphic mod (I just dont like much those raw renders).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VXZ1Yv ... sp=sharing

(original mod https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CpnkPX ... sp=sharing)

Attachments
custom1_showcase.jpg
custom1_showcase.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16core 3.4ghz
Nvidia GTX 1080
64gb ram, Win 10
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Wow...very nice.
Sandow

Post by Sandow »

I'm glad you like it!

I agree with you completely about the renders being hard to live with. I'm glad someone took the time to tweak them to make them less sterile. Your mod adds a much needed depth to the event screens. Great touch with adding the instructor's shadow, by the way. It may seem like a small change, but makes worlds of difference to making the figure seem like part of the scene, and not just a flat image pasted on a background.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Is it just me, or does that "Propaganda Assistant" kinda look like Tom Hiddlestons Loki?
Sandow

Post by Sandow »

>Is it just me, or does that "Propaganda Assistant" kinda look like Tom Hiddlestons Loki?

You know, now that you mention it, I'm seeing it!
TitusGroen

Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns Mod

Post by TitusGroen »

I liked the idea of the chunkier sounds but I wanted something with a little more oomph. I made this one but for some reason it doesn't play at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drwqh8l4zdo0t ... k.wav?dl=0

Would any one mind taking a look?
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

Sandow wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:58 pm This is an overhaul which replaces cards, event screens, music and sounds to blend with the Emperor of the Fading Suns universe. (...)

Name: EFS Tile Mod
Download: EFSTileMod
What it does: Creates a subtle change to the tiles. Gives a slightly deeper hard bevel and black border to the tiles to make them more visible when stacked.

Original Tiles:
Updated Tiles:

Name: EFS Button Sound Mod
What it does: Replaces the digital beeps when buttons are pressed or 'mouseovered', with sounds more fitting for a chunky, military interface. Gives the buttons a nice, manual, analog sound.
Download: EFSButtonSounds

Note: If you are only going to download one of the EFS mods, make it this one! It doesn't sounds like it does much, but I guarantee that you'll notice an immediate difference in the feel of the game. There is something very satisfying about the button presses with this mod.

There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
ladner

Post by ladner »

Seeing this brought on a wave of nostalgia, and of playing the Emperor of the Fading Suns video game, which appears to be the source of the graphics. Would be fantastic if Vic could somehow work out a Fading Suns variant of the game, especially as he moves forward with his development plans.

Return to “Graphic Mods”