I think it's time we have a conversation about "tacticus genius".

Moderator: Vic

Abutbul

I think it's time we have a conversation about "tacticus genius".

Post by Abutbul »

So I don't know if I'm the only one, but I always found the wording for this specific strategem off-putting.
I mean... "autistic little man" - at best I find it cringey and downright offensive at worst. I get and appreciate the game's special aesthetic and design choices, the harsh world depicted and the dark sense of humor, but I still feel it stands out as a bit jarring. As far as I've noticed, nowhere else in the game is a person described in such an intentionally demeaning term. Is it really necessary?

What do you think, anyone with me on this? Or am I crazy for thinking that?
Voker57

Re: I think it's time we have a conversation about "tacticus genius".

Post by Voker57 »

What exactly is offensive about it?
sillygoy

Post by sillygoy »

You're playing a game where you murder thousands for your tyrannical regime and you're offended by such a little thing?
applejuice

Post by applejuice »

yes you are crazy for thinking that
Soar_Slitherine

Post by Soar_Slitherine »

The card's description utilizes the "idiot-savant" stereotype sometimes associated with autistic people in a way that comes across as demeaning. Although "little man" can technically be used as a factual description of a person's physical size, it is commonly used in a derogatory fashion, and in any case, while I don't think the card is a hugely serious example of this problem, conflating physical characteristics with mental disability is a genuinely harmful trope - I've seen plenty of stories from visibly disabled people about other people assuming they are stupid because of the way they look.

As a person on the autism spectrum, I don't consider the writing of the card a huge deal, but I do still think it lands squarely in problematic territory.
ElectricGod

Post by ElectricGod »

I definitely agree the description feels quite out of place. However, I actually don't have a strong opinion on it one way or another if the card never got changed i really wouldn't care. Then again if i was the writer i surely wouldn't have chosen those words.

Clearly Vic intended the description to be a little light hearted joke but its at best crude and not terribly funny but definitely not offensive or worth much more energy devoted to it

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”