English Text Corrections

Moderator: Vic

zgrssd

RE: English Text Corrections

Post by zgrssd »

Planet creation, colonization screen:
While both variants appear correct, I think that "Colonisation" (with a S) is the more common spelling in games then "Colonization" (with a Z).
rastacam

Post by rastacam »

When appointing a new director: We need to appoint some-one in charge...
I guess, it should be "someone".
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanks for these. I'll try to implement the majority of these corrections in one of the upcoming open beta patches.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Daza99

Post by Daza99 »

Typo source: Incident Decision "Incident with a hard sentence"

Typo .."I judged them to be summarily excuted." Spelling should be executed

Daza99

Post by Daza99 »

Stratagem Card: Banker Ally

Typo: Le instead of Let "...Impose no repayments. Le me help you.."

Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The highest Respiratory Hazard Level is poorly named with "Insidious".
The word indicates stuff like Stealthy, Methodical and Ambush - the exact opposite of "Instant death without Envirosuit", what it stands for.

If there is any level that is Insidious, it is 1 or 2 - because it might fool you into thinking it is sufficient to use no protection/only filters.

A proper Term to use instead? "Instant Death". A BHL of "Instant Death" makes clear that it is the worst level.

The uses of Insidious and Battle Dress make me wonder if Vic is a fan of the Traveller RPG 'verse for two reasons;
1) The former is an atmospheric type on certain worlds; an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.
2) The latter term is also used there for high-end fully powered exoskeletal armour.

There may be some other shared heritage that I'm not aware of, or it could be pure coincidence.

It's a little idiosyncratic, but if the game gets/has any mechanics for atmospheric conditions increasing unit fatigue and maintenance requirements, then it's worth the distinction between simply "immediately deadly without protection" and "inevitably deadly even with protection", the latter of which isn't adequately articulated by just "Instant Death".
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Also, to offset waffling about idiosyncrasies, here's an actual text correction; Polymer Armour should probably be Composite Armour.

Polymers are a very 'wide' and 'vague' concept, because they exist in many, many natural and synthetic forms, and the most common synthetic polymers are plastics; PET and PVC, for instance. It also covers (para-)aramids like kevlar which, whilst good as a personal protective measure, isn't something I'd use by itself for a tank.

On the other hand, the role it seems intended to fulfil is that of modern Composites; layering steel, plastics, ceramics, and other materials to provide higher strength for less weight than straight rolled steel armour. Mechanically it should probably cost metal+oil (given what we need to make plastics) and maybe a small amount of rare metals.

ed- come to think of it, where's active defense measures like Arena/Iron Fist/Trophy?
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Arcalane
ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The highest Respiratory Hazard Level is poorly named with "Insidious".
The word indicates stuff like Stealthy, Methodical and Ambush - the exact opposite of "Instant death without Envirosuit", what it stands for.

If there is any level that is Insidious, it is 1 or 2 - because it might fool you into thinking it is sufficient to use no protection/only filters.

A proper Term to use instead? "Instant Death". A BHL of "Instant Death" makes clear that it is the worst level.

The uses of Insidious and Battle Dress make me wonder if Vic is a fan of the Traveller RPG 'verse for two reasons;
1) The former is an atmospheric type on certain worlds; an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.
2) The latter term is also used there for high-end fully powered exoskeletal armour.

There may be some other shared heritage that I'm not aware of, or it could be pure coincidence.

It's a little idiosyncratic, but if the game gets/has any mechanics for atmospheric conditions increasing unit fatigue and maintenance requirements, then it's worth the distinction between simply "immediately deadly without protection" and "inevitably deadly even with protection", the latter of which isn't adequately articulated by just "Instant Death".
If I remember my Traveller Maps correctly, they were randomly generated. One a hex base.
Including a hex base for a planet. I wonder if hte hex sizes were ~200km in Traveller too?
I should have some PDF's of the original rules laying around.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.
Well, the vacuum of space fits that definition too then, between the large temperature differences between being irradiated by the star or not, radiation, high-energy particles and micrometeoroids...
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar
an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.
Well, the vacuum of space fits that definition too then, between the large temperature differences between being irradiated by the star or not, radiation, high-energy particles and micrometeoroids...
Deep Space and Venus do not compare. Space is way to save!

We have so much stuff in space, we might already be in a Keppler Cascade.
At 464°C surface temperature and 92000 mbar (about as strong as 1km under the Ocean), we never managed to make a probe that survives a day down there.
96.5% Carbon Dioxide - if added to being much closer to the sun - makes the planet Greenhouse effect central.
The atmosphere is more like a gas giants, then a moons.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

bar use is pretty much deprecated, you should be using Pa (or atm ~= 1.013 bar ~= 101.3 kPa) instead

AFAIK we aren't talking about *literally* Venus, but one of the SE (and Traveller's ?) planets ?
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

bar use is pretty much deprecated, you should be using Pa (or atm ~= 1.013 bar ~= 101.3 kPa) instead

AFAIK we aren't talking about *literally* Venus, but one of the SE (and Traveller's ?) planets ?

I looked up Venus on the (un)official Traveller wiki (as it takes place in our galaxy and thus the Sol system is fully statted out) and Venus is classed as Insidious.

Obviously mileage may vary; I don't think SE can generate anywhere quite as hostile as Venus, but maybe I'm wrong. I know it can generate all kinds of !!Fun!! atmospheric contents, like nitric oxide/nitrogen dioxide and cyanogen - the latter of which is essentially gaseous cyanide.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

The main thing is that vacuum is far from the worst a Environmental Suit might have to protect you from!
Places with 2 digit bar figures and several hundred degrees make Vacuum look like a "Walk in the Park".

I admit SE is not likely to happen on any of those (the worst I saw were 2 Bar and ~70°C), but the realm is there.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Another minor gripe; "Cluster Bombs". This tech applies to regular howitzers (both direct-fire and artillery) and rocket/missile launchers as well as aircraft bomb bays. I'd suggest "Enhanced Fragmentation" or "Cluster Munitions" as alternative terms that serve as better catch-alls for the multiple use cases.
Daza99

Post by Daza99 »

Stratagem Typo: "Call to Succes" instead of Success
It seems it is all of the Call to Success stratagem cards 1, 2
Trifler

Re: English Text Corrections

Post by Trifler »

The first three still exist for sure. I'm not able to check the last two as I post this.

- Under the Workshop button, the word "Ammunitions" should be "Ammunition" in three places. "Ammunition" is already plural.

In the Technology screen, in the Applied Engineering box:
- Proppeler Engine Efficiency should be "Propeller Engine Efficiency"
- Aircraft Rugedness should be "Aircraft Ruggedness"
- For Conventional Small Arms Optimization, the word "ammunitions" should be "ammunition"
- For Aerodynamic Design, the description would be better if it said, "This tech improves the aerodynamics of your flying designs."

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”