Question for you armchair Generals )

Moderator: Vic

Twotribes

Question for you armchair Generals )

Post by Twotribes »

Is it better to attack with conventional forces or wait till my industry has built up to use the high tech stuff? So far the enemy doesnt appear to have any high tech.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
zgrssd

Re: Question for you armchair Generals )

Post by zgrssd »

1.10.06 did a lot of work on the AI and the Scaling.
Have you had this experience in a game started with that version? While it does not require a new game, compounding effects of early mistakes should still have effect.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I am steam so all I have is official version, 10.04b U dont have a problem havent started the war yet
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

NO ONE has an opinion?
Soar_Slitherine

Post by Soar_Slitherine »

Unless the terrain is highly unfavorable to armor, going on the offensive is perfectly viable as soon as you can afford to produce (and refuel) light tanks regularly, although they also benefit from a big power spike when you get Polymer Armor. The most important high-tech stuff swings the balance back towards the defender (micronukes) and helps in rough terrain (walkers).
lilnev

Post by lilnev »

I invest and re-invest into BP, resources like metal, and IP. Minimal military for a while, just enough for defense and a little exploration, claiming hex perks or non-aligned territory for prospecting. I prefer to Unify farmers, but conquering them early is an option. Once metal and IP production are built up (roughly speaking, when metal, IP and manpower are equally constraining), I'll look to field an army and conquer minors with cities, or else a major, hopefully not the nemesis first. That's often around gauss/combat armor, but it varies. Lots of rich scavenge favors earlier with tanks. If I have to find and defend distant mines and expensive roads, or filter the soil for metal, then I'll be further along the tech tree before I can field that army, and it might favor infantry.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I am done with research I had a super high mind score and got breakthrough cards over and over. The only thing I havent researched is small arms energy improvement because I never actually did laser rifles.
Don_Kiyote

Post by Don_Kiyote »

It depends... :geek:

Thankfully this is not the kind of game where the most effective strategies are invariable... even excluding any Role Playing you might want to carry on with, such as that Azure Lane RQ umbrella you hold on to while calculating hex defensibility.

But you asked for an opinion. Like you actually want yet another opinion. Weird.

It looks like terrain is important. As long as you can expand and take useful stuff without fighting, that's a strong argument to wait and see.
zgrssd wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:01 pm 1.10.06 did a lot of work on the AI and the Scaling.
This is the other side.

A human player-controlled regime will generally out-perform any AI regime over time, in any game, meaning you, Commander, will advance the economy and general capability of your regime faster than the AI does. This is another argument in favour of waiting, But AI empires benefit from early accelerations and 'bump starts'. This means they might or might not bloat up, swallowing their neighbours early and generating massive amounts of production. Such oversized, hyperactive-thyroid type AI empires are the hardest AI opponents of all, it seems to me.

So if you're being out-accelerated, attacking that specific growth hormone engorged opponent asap will be strategically advised.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

As long as you have the numbers ( odds, offensive & defensive mods, recon)...attack away with any forces.
I, generally, don't attack less than 5:1; but if the other numbers look ok to good...sure.
Terrain plays a large factor, particularly in mountainous regions...forget the tanks.
In PBEM games, be wary of over extending & getting cutoff by smart humans.

Return to “War Room”