deManglers First Try at an AAR

Moderator: Vic

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**This game is finished now. Can't wait to do the next one**

This is probably more of a journal of how a game progresses with some insight into what goes on in my head, rather than a proper AAR.

Images and saves will be added, and posts edited lots probably as I learn how to format things etc. I am pretty new at this, I feel, even though I have over 200 hours playtime I still have not won a game, so it might be a bit random - hope that is ok.
Hopefully there will also be a more storified .pdf, with some more fleshed out character arcs and backstory available here when I have finished it.

Anyway - hopefully something entertaining to do while the AI is thinking.

I am just going to do Unclassified Planet, Small-Normal size, with random history, drop-me-in-a-game.

Code: Select all

Fog of War:          Complete
 Human Players:       1
 Initial Zones:       City State
 Initial Armies:      Militia Only
 Story Modules:       All
 Tech level:          3 with Air Force enabled
 Development Speed:   Normal
 Organisation level:  Supreme Command Council only
 Difficulty Level:    Regular

Here is how the planet turned out...

Starting Fates are 1000 Credits, 50 Political Points, Militia Loss of Faith and Ancient Archive.
Starting Strategems are Recruit Merc, Recruit Junior, Incr Income Tax, Decr Income Tax, Send Spy, Open Contact and Church of Syndic.

Now I am going to look over the reports and see what the staff is like....

**Prologue**

deMangler stared at the piles of disorganised paperwork on his desk.
'This is not my paperwork', a part of him kept protesting.
'This is now my paperwork', another, smaller, part of him kept responding.
The intermittent rhythmic thumping was not helping him think, but it was very atmospheric in a 'gently rub your temples and try to focus', kind of way - which was good because that is what he was doing.
It was also atmospheric in the sense that the thumping itself was the result of the corrosive hurricane, that was this planet's actual atmosphere, rattling a loose panel somewhere on the other side of the four-inch thick bulkhead that was the outer wall of his new office.
He poked at a smallish pile of papers that looked least likely to start an avalanche if he disturbed it. The words 'bad supply' and 'low morale' slid into view, under the words 'Military Formation Issues', under the words 'General Urgent Issues', under the words 'Overview of Urgent Issues'. There was clearly more of this sort of thing, ready to slide into view should he venture to poke further.
He kind of had the feeling that somebody had already taken off, nuked the place from orbit - because it was the only way to be sure - and disappeared into the closing credits, leaving him to clear up the mess.
There was a knock at the door.
'Come in'
A robed person entered the office, backwards because they were burdened with an armload of something so that it was, in fact, the only way to open the door. Turning to face and approach the desk revealed a young-ish person apparently looking for somewhere to dump the cardboard box they were carrying.
'Just put it on the floor - thanks'
The person hesitated, clearly taken by surprise.
'Anything else Sir?'
'Else?'
'These are the quarterly Empire department overviews you requested, Sir. If there's nothing else...', The person switched from slightly distracted efficiency to defensively holding holding the box, 'I apologise your office was not cleared - you are a little... early...'
'Early?'
'Yes Sir, ah sorry Sir', The person switched from uncertain shuffling to actual fear, 'Of course I mean I was unaware of your schedule Sir. Sorry sir. Secretary Leo Carbonrock reporting for duty sir.'
deMangler stood up himself.
'Pope deMangler. Officially recognising Secretary Carbonrock.', he relaxed back into his chair. Observing his new secretary he could see the man had a distinct air of authority under his respectful manner - could be useful.
'That is all the ceremony we need for now Carbonrock, we are all Popes here. At ease. You are correct - I am early - there was a radiation leak on level four which meant I had to miss a meeting with the Economic Council - I want you to re-schedule that.'
'Yes Sir',
deMangler looked with relief at the desk for a moment before sweeping half of it clear of papers.
'Well, pop the box on here then and have maintenance fix that bloody loose panel.'

Starting Save
deMangler

RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR

Post by deMangler »

Initial thoughts on reading the staff profiles

Newt Zedigo is going to be a problem. Commander of 1st SHQ he has a war rating of 44, good ambition and capacity - if somewhat spineless at the age of 23 he could grow into the role. Also he is not corrupt.
However...
He is adverse to fist and enforcement, and absolutely hates the militia, which means we are not going to get on.
He is also leader of the Republican Knights faction, which love meritocracy and have 55% of the politburo and two members. The other member is Nathaniel Silidark. I will need to look at this whole faction thing in more detail at some point. Another time.
In any case - will update this when I have decided whether, and if so, how, to replace him.

Aden Kirkland, Governor of Pacifica, City level III starting zone. He is alright. Not corrupt, ambitious and very intelligent and above average capacity with the gift of the gab - at age 35 he could definitely be a long-term asset. Also he likes militia and government, while not actually hating anything so he might actually be ok to work with.

Nathaniel Silidark, Adviser. this man is an asset - at 52 years old he brings experience and high capacity for learning on-the-job. A talent not to be wasted.

Mercy Antares, Director of Supreme Command Council. Leader of the Steel Front faction, who are into enforcement and autocracy and I don't want to think about what goes on at their meetings. The other member is Adam Collins. Certainly ok in this role for the time being, but I can't see her staying in the job long. We shall see.

Leo Carbonrock, Secretary whom I have already met. Seems like a good, simple sort. Used to be a farmer. Perhaps I couldn't wish for better in a secretary but he is definitly not star material. Again, we shall see.

Finally the reserve pool. Adam Collins. I think he is good enough to try out in the new Economic Council I am thinking of forming.
Last edited by deMangler on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**Turn 1 - Winter 244 AA.**
We start with Autocracy, Goverment and Mind all at 48 with the others at 33.
In the ascension speech I emphasised investment in the public sector - don't want to rattle too many cages to start with.
I decided to form an Economic Council too.

Map wise - this is what it looks like at the start with no exploration. Wilderness to the east with a minor to the west. Nopiplaneta is 2100 Free Folk on our doorstep with Axial being 9800 of them and Beezmet being 17000. I want to get them all under our wing as soon as possible.

After sending out the militia it looks like this. Some good ruins.

The terrain is rocky plains, a bit of sand, with temperatures between 6 and 16. So you can choke to death in relative thermal comfort. Some high mountains off the the east where it gets a bit colder.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deManglers Journal. Early Spring 244 AA**
Not enough of anything. Not enough metal, not enough water, not enough industrial capacity, and what we do have, SHQ thinks belongs to them.
And of course, not enough credits. By far. I am testing the Free Folk with some militia. We need to have them come into our fold, we need the manpower and we need the taxes and they are a resource sitting on our porch. We have neglected them for far too long.
Trouble is, they are a feisty lot that don’t love or trust us here in Pacifica one bit.
And that Newt character wants to raise troops.
Well, whatever his reasons we do need them, but we can’t raise them without metal and industry and we don’t have enough.
We don’t have enough industry to extract the metal from the ruins, and we don’t have enough metal to build the industry, and we don’t have enough of either to do anything else.
Sooo…. I am going to deal with those Free Folk so I can push into the ruins and just get us some metal. Got to start somewhere. If those Free barbarians just give us enough time we can get to a position where we can make them an offer they can’t negotiate with.

**deManglers Journal. Late Spring 244 AA**
Initial confrontation with the Free Folk Marauders was... educational. We took casualties but managed to push them back. Going to press the advantage. If we can just get a reasonable perimeter - maybe 1000k in every direction, we should be able to develop some actual capacity to do something other than sit here and rot.

**deManglers Journal. Summer 244 AA**
We continue to push the marauders back, but we have no defence to our west and I am worried about Axial and the nearby ruins. Newt Zedigo still wants his soldiers and I am minded to authorise some, the metal will have to wait… just a couple of months….
Also, an opposition leader from Tertillo, the minor power to the west, (note to self: send some spies over there) wants us to get involved in their internal affairs. Silidark and Collins think it is a good idea. Whatever, I’ll do it but it means handing over 250 credits to someone of already questionable loyalty. Besides – that Silidark chap – I think I can trust his judgement.

Malagant

Post by Malagant »

Love it so far!
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deManglers Journal. Early Autumn 244 AA**
Sold some of those rare metals we found in the ruins to partially make up for the aforementioned questionable deal. Also got the workshops to make a couple of machines. We have a bit of spare industrial capacity as I have been holding back during this militia push. I am now officially signing off on a recycling facility in the ruins to the west. Gives me a chance to get to know this Aden Kirkland a bit better at least. By the end of the year we may have some resources coming in.
Trying to push the front on the east, progress but casualties. Will just hold for a bit I think.
On the more domestic front – there was a waste-disposal disaster that required swift action. I gave my full support to Aden, who is turning out to be a very capable Governor, and I was impressed at the almost total containment.
Finally – some retired militia general wanted to give a speech so I made it an official occasion. Everyone loved it, apart from Newt Zedigo who looked like he was actually going to have a seizure.

**deManglers Journal. Late Autumn 244 AA**
Kirkland wants portraits of me put up in schools. I said no. FFS. Also does that Newt person have to disagree with everything I do?
Trivia I cannot be bothered with. There is little enough independent thinking around here as it is. I may see the value of an autocratic leadership style but I know the value of thought also. They support each other, but a meritocracy we are not, and never will be, and definitely not a democracy. We all know where that leads.
There are some Tertillo forces getting frisky to the west. Will have a war with them soon I am certain of it. Those marauders to the east are being discouraged. I hope that stays low-key.

ORIGINAL: Malagant

Love it so far!
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

Subscribed [:)]
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 244 AA**
The recycling facility in the ruins has completed construction – it should be on-line by midwinter. We badly need those metals and that fuel. Soon I will have to decide how to make use of these resources. We need to expand our capacity in many directions if we are to survive into next year. The marauders are being held back, for now. Things will not be as easy as they have been these last few years I can feel it. The previous Pope left things in such a mess I am surprised there is a possibility of survival, even growth, but I think, with luck, we can make it.

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 245 AA**
Raised two battalions of machine-gunners, one of which I immediately dispatched to defend some newly discovered water to the south. The other one will help us in the east. It is not enough but I am already delaying ramping up our industrial capacity so they can have ammunition. They will have to make what they have last them. Somehow.
I am forming a staff council. We need to have flexibility at different levels of government so that will be a start. Just need someone to head it up. A new member of staff has entered the reserve pool Aaron Douglas. Intimidating chap with no potential whatsoever as far as I can tell. Perfect.

My efforts to increase our soft-power are slowly paying off with some improvements diplomatically and so-on. That isn’t going to avoid a war though. I dispatched some spies east into Tertillo territory. By summer we should know more.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 245 AA**
Our spies have returned.

We now know much more about the minor power to the west. They are, essentially, farmers – which is a huge relief. I was half expecting AI slavers or alien insectoid devourers. We also now know there is another minor power to the south. The Xezono, they are called.
That’s a nice name...
Back to the farmers though. Their capital, Rouriens, is possibly close enough to be worth taking – however I am minded to slowly build our defences and industrial capacity before committing to that.
There were some street protests, something about living conditions – I get it but now is not the time. I sent in the troops. Happy days for Mercy Antares anyway.
I got some old business associates to cough up some favours, to the tune of 1000 credits. We needed that badly. I diverted 400 of it to the militia, partly because we need them and partly because I want to find out if Carbonrock leaks. If anyone finds out it will be him that leaked. And I am keeping an eye on that Newt character. Maybe he'll have a heart attack.
ORIGINAL: lecrop

Subscribed [:)]
Hope I can keep it going :)
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 245 AA**
Marauders in the city killed 2500 people. Kirkland made it worse with his bungled response. I gave him my full support and still he screwed it up. I am very disappointed.
The Church of Syndic asked me for a donation and I so angry with Kirkland, I know he is into them, so I refused them. That was a mistake – they can be useful, but it is done now. I saved some credits though, so there is that.
Some private outfit has built an ice mine on the water deposit to the south – the one I was defending with those machine-gunners. Good that people are being inspired to improve their lot. Maybe some hope is kicking in.
I wanted to get started on creating that industry in Pacifica City itself, but those marauders scared off so many workers I may have to postpone. That is a major setback. A curse on Kirkland’s bald head. Maybe I’ll use the credits I didn’t give to that church to buy the metals and machines I need for that. Hmmmm...
Ah! Note to self: We must declare war on those western farmers within the year if we are to get the support of that opposition leader we promised last summer. Don’t want a reputation as a promise-breaker.

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 245 AA**
The sages say we are entering a decade of corruption, during which our most powerful faction will become more corrupt. That would be the Republican Knights and if true, that would be a great shame. Dark days ahead.
Coincidently I just hired one of their members into the reserve pool. This guy.

Haley Clarke. With an ‘e’. Clarkes-with-an-e are not to be trusted in my experience.

I am realising how much I was depending on the lack of corruption of my staff. If only there were a way to ensure it. Raising their wages is something I have been thinking of anyway, some kind of workplace benefit or other incentive. Brain-hats, the ones with curly wires maybe...

I started constructing the industry capacity in Pacifica, meanwhile the farmers are wandering in a dangerous and provocative manner to the west. The clock is ticking for them.

A more operationally focused map.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 246 AA**
Well this is a turn up for the cooks, as I believe the ancient saying goes. Those farmers to the west have violated our borders – so this is perfect timing as I was planning to go to war with them this winter anyway. I think I will increase the wages of the whole staff just to keep things a bit sweet going into this conflict. Seems the predictions of the sages was correct – there is definitely an air of distrust and corruption in the corridors, and it is getting worse, so a wage increase may help lighten the mood.

We don’t have the metal to build the industrial capacity on time, and prices are too high to buy it in. Lets hope those farmers don’t have backup from the mercs to the north. Which reminds me, that opposition leader made good on his promise to provide us with support – 1200 Rifle Militia, 500 RPG militia and 300 MG militia. Not bad for a bunch of farmers. They are positioned a bit far away though, and to the north of their capital, so we shall see how that goes.
Newt Zedigo is on the edge of quitting and starting his own private army. I hope this war gives him some focus.

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 246 AA**
Those farmers are a determined bunch – we keep inflicting casualties, they pull back and re-group and they just won’t give up. We have taken some losses ourselves but nothing that is a problem if things progress like this.
More worrying is there have been sightings of Xezono units to the south. We have no idea who or what they are. Guess we will find out.
I forgot to raise the wages. Ooops.
I have to give a policy speech later. It is basically either I please the meritocracy lobby or capture the farmers’ capital. No prizes for guessing what I will say. I think we will have done it within two years.
The workers had a referendum (isn’t that a democratic type thing?) and are demanding shorter hours. I am in a good mood, I’ll give them what they want. Newt Zedigo thinks it is a good idea so hopefully it might give him the notion I am going soft and delay his inevitable revolution. Also looks like Mercy Antares has decided to go grey-haired, so this should help with that. I would have thought that all this deploying troops to quell the unrest would make her happy.
In preparation for raising the wages I had a look over the salaries as they stand. Looks like nobody has had a raise in ages, but the really weird thing is that Carbonrock was working for free! He’s an odd one.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 246 AA**
Mercy Antares, on behalf of the Steel Front, is ‘demanding’ I do something to raise the security level of the zone from it’s current level of zero (who would have thought?) to at least six. She has given me a year to do it, or else… who knows what. I should do it anyway.
The analysts are saying that as a culture, we have drifted into what they call a ‘fist’ profile. This is not good and I must act to improve education at all costs. Can’t have us falling back into barbarism. Perhaps more worrying is that they also say we are on the verge of becoming ‘democratic’. I think it may be to do with that slide into corruption the sages were on about. Say no more. Action will be taken.
There were gangs of organised thieves stealing food in the Zone. It was an opportunity for Kirkland to redeem himself, and despite what happened last time I gave him another chance, and my support. He managed not to cock it up this time and we only lost about 400 food overall.

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 246 AA**
We have been pushing those farmers further north west, they must be crazy they are not giving up and I think they are down to a potato technician and a couple of milk-maids.
Xezono units are now actually massing to the south. I had Newt raise three formations of gunners to hold them off. He almost looked happy. So I gave the militia another 400 credits.
Security levels are up and that new industrial capacity is working out splendidly. Kirkland has taken to mooning around with this citizen, civilian, he takes her everywhere. Whatever he catches I am not paying his medical bills and I told him to keep her away from restricted areas. No ifs and no buts.
The Steel Front demanded I hire a candidate of theirs – Titania Quintrock, yes THAT Titania Quintrock. Expect paparazzi.
Finally, as if it couldn’t get any better, we found some old Galactic Republic tech in the wastes. It is… wait for it… A Velociraptor class laser tank! With 25mm liquid armour! And a nuclear engine! I have no idea what that means so we are going to test it on the farmers. More soon on that!

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 246 AA**
Going to watch the corruption levels of the staff. Here is where it stands now, along with some other interesting stats.

Looks like I might need to keep an eye on Zedigo, Collins and Clarke.
That reminds me – we now have a Model Design council(Yes, that is what Leo thought, but it is just about coming up with new military options mainly), led by Blaze Wilkinmate.
We are surrounding the farmers’ capital city in preparation for the attack. Not into a prolonged siege they probably have barns full of beetroot and parsnips and such. Could take years.
A group of democratic activists from Kallendorf Domain (Never heard of them) arrived at our gates looking for asylum. Newt said, and I quote, ‘Do the human thing, my Pope.’, so I turned them out into the desert. He seemed disappointed.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 246 AA**
We have begun researching artillery and sealed roads, and I ordered the construction of some agricultural domes. We need to feed our army, which is currently strained by the dual fronts of surrounding Farmer City, and defending the south against we know not what.
Oh, wait – just in. We stormed into the City with our first attack. The plan now is to hold it long enough to install a new Governor and try to get the nearby villages to ‘cooperate’.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 247 AA**
Goodness me, how time flies. I have been having these strange… blank spells where afterwards I find myself with extra money that I don’t remember having before. Possibly this whole corruption thing is really taking hold. I shall have to watch myself too!
Lots of weirdness is happening. I had to discipline Blaze Wilkinmate, the chief of Model Design. She had ordered a library closed and forced the members to sign up to the militia. I can see why people act like this, but nobody around seems to get that it doesn’t matter how much land we take, if we fill it with stupidity then we have just done the idiot’s job for them.
Talking of idiots – I never got round to supplying the machines needed to construct those agricultural domes so the construction workers have all been sitting round drinking tea and contemplating democracy. Soon fix that!
People are rioting in Rouriens (That is what the city we took off the farmers is called). Mercy Antares is taking care of it with her squads. And I decided to appoint Titania Quintrock as the governor. Add some vid-star quality, or something...
Next on the agenda is to engage with whoever, or whatever is accumulating units to our south. I sent some spies, but they never returned. It should have been a walk in the pork, as the ancient saying goes. I hope they were not assimilated, or cocooned.
Oh – and I had this great idea! I am going to give Newt a medal for how easily we took that city, even though it was all down to the militia and that laser tank. Can’t have him going off the rails when there are unknown forces to deal with.

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 247 AA**
Winning this war with the farmers seems to have sent everyone mad. I had to discipline Blaze Wilkinmate, again – this time over her actions re. A small community in the middle of nowhere. Titania Quintrock wants to build a statue, celebrating the victory. I said, OK, a small one. And I nearly got in a fight with some union-leader over a wage increase.
We found and imprisoned a Kallendorf Domain spy (again, who are these people?) I just sent him home, wherever that is…
I had enough of those units amassing to the south so I ordered an exploratory attack. Turns out they are human enough, behind those rags, and they ride large lizards into battle. Some kind of nomads.
Not another war…
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 247 AA**
We now have a military research council, headed up buy this guy.

The Steel Front faction wanted me to take him on, and they are getting pretty powerful so maybe it will promote some kind of unity.
There was a slave trader on the outskirts of Rourin town, or whatever it’s called (will have to give it a new name) I had Titania send in a hit squad. He didn’t see it coming at all. So that is sorted.
The Kallendorf Domain sent an envoy. Turns out they are a major power to the north-west and we know very little else about them.
They want us to hand over Syndic ‘terrorists’. Damn these diplomatic situations, and I was complaining about war – this is worse.
There is no good option. Only 15% of our population follow them and we don’t have an official policy towards them, but some of our troops rely on their embedded priests for defence. And the other lot, the Mystic Temple are not much use to be honest, the private sector likes them…
I’m not doing it. Most of my council disagrees, but I am just not going to do it. I will not be bullied by some ‘Domain’. Lets see what they think of that.
Also I will have Titania rename that city.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 247 AA**
The conflict with the nomads is not going well. We are taking too many casualties. This is partly down to supply problems, partly down to the fact we are heavily relying on militia (Newt will never know I said that) and partly down to those nomads being hard bastards.
More protests in Pacifica, Mercy Antares was happy to send in the troops again, but this time we could not contain the unrest. There was damage.
At least those Agri-domes are finally finished. Just in time for the winter.

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 248 AA**
We made it through the winter, not without incident. Protests in Hagbard (I had Titania rename that city), some Free Folk joining us, that’s good. Those nomads to the south are a real problem. Not only hard but slippery. I am sure there is a name for them and it isn’t complementary. Research on sealed roads and artillery is progressing far too slowly, but it is progressing.
I gave a speech. I think, after a couple of years leading these people that they are a changed people. They have hope and they are becoming more educated. They can imagine more options. As long as they don’t get too upset at what it may take to manifest some of that hope into actuality.
I ordered the construction of rail stations in the cities of Hagbard and Pacifica, as well as a railway between them. It won’t help our current supply issues, but we will need it later and for now it will keep people busy.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 248 AA**
The nomads are trying to interrupt our supply with their superior movement and agility in the rocky plains. We need more forces to secure the area, we just cannot match their ability to cover ground.
Those Free Folk that joined us? Well it turns out they want us to defend their town from the Kallendorf, and guess where there town is?

That blob up in the north west is them. And that blob just below them is, I think, the Kallendorf capitol city.
This just doesn’t get any better. What was I thinking. Must have been one of my blank spells. Talking of which…

The corruption is getting worse...
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**Interlude**
‘@@@@KM<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,]xcccccccccbv````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````;;;;;;;?nnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mn ’
- deMangler’s cat.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 248 AA**
We now have a Secret Service Council. I can’t say any more about that here.
Our rail infrastructure is nearly complete and it seems the private sector is investing in light industry.
Our troops seem to be getting better at dealing with unrest, or Mercy Antares is getting more intimidating.
I very much want to work towards connecting with those Free Folk that joined us in the north west. The community of Serba. For this reason I have attached Nat Silidark to advise the Secret Service Council. He has the experience and, to be honest, we are not going to get far confronting Kallendorf by force alone.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Winter 249 AA**
Silidark was as good as his reputation. We successfully infiltrated spies into Kallendorf territory. Also we captured some Kallendorf spies, so I think we can safely say we now know where we are with each other.
Our industrial capacity and logistics is slowly ramping up. Not there yet but with this new intel I plan to use machine gunners to try to ensure a road link with Serba. Just need to get the units near the border ready to deploy when we go to war.
I would rather siege their capital city, but we are still developing the tech to do that, and also I have no idea what they have in there. Whatever the situation, I am thinking that logistics comes first.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 249 AA**
Kallendorf has contacted us. They say that they don’t think we can afford to fight them right now, and they are demanding money. Blackmail, basically. The intelligent thing to do would be to pay them – it is only 420 credits and all we need is time. This would buy us what we need probably, we are nearly in a much stronger position.
On the other hand, I can’t do it. The only person with me on this is Silidark, and if I were to pick one person to have on-side it would be him.
I am sending their envoy back, alive, but having spent a few hours alone with Mercy Antares, I am guessing he will be wishing he wasn’t.

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 249 AA**
Spent the summer doing what could be done to position the gunners. I declared war on Kallendorf, seeing as they seem to be content to just pile up forces on the border. I need to know what they have in those trenches and the only way is to engage.
From first contact it seems like they mostly have militia, some infantry, trucks, and artillery. No horrible surprises so far.
If I write another journal entry then at least I won’t have been assassinated.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 249 AA**
Hmmm, lots of paperwork this morning. Marauders… Retired General… Special Treatment Gyms…, Blaze Wilkin incident... Don’t these people know there is a war on?
Funny, I was just talking about assassination and what should happen? Blaze Wilkinwhatever was just assassinated. I am looking forward to getting to know her replacement.

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 2050 AA**
The enemy is equipped with much better tech than us. Automatic weapons and stuff we simply don’t recognise. Most of our stuff is still improvised. We are doing OK in the exchanges though, but we need better equipment.

Meet our new Model Design person.

I am not optimistic.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 2050 AA**
We are fighting, or I should say holding, a distant front, with a long supply line.
The enemy is getting creative in trying to disrupt this supply – they take a lot of losses attacking our machine gunners directly but I can’t cover the whole line with them. The only thing keeping it open is that Velociraptor tank we found a couple of years ago. It has great mobility so can respond to encroachment on the road and it can take out small units quickly.
On that note – we are now designing a more conventional light tank. Hopefully it should be ready to produce soon.
Finally, I called in some more old business favours, to the tune of 1000 credits – paid off the mystics and some stuff, added to the war chest.

Bad news also though. They have some Galactic Republic Tech. A Mobile Shield. GR here.

That city bottom right is Hagbard. Top left is Kallendorf. That road is our supply to the front.

One other thing. I have noticed how much more detailed our intelligence is these days. Silidark is something special. I have an almost complete picture of the enemy positions and a lot on their assets. Even on their City. I just wish I had the forces to make use of this information.

Here is a bigger map. Click for full size.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 2050 AA**
It is becoming much harder to protect our supply line. We are taking heavy losses.
Also, new intelligence in. The enemy outnumber and out-gun and out-produce us. Massively.
If you can imagine, say, there were 5 major powers on this planet. Kallendorf would be the most powerful and we would be the least.
I just hope they don’t know that.

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 2050 AA**
The sages say we are entering a period of relative calm.
Hmmm.
If that means the cool relaxing tide of the Kallendorf is washing away the untidy sand-castle of our civilisation then I suppose I can agree.
We are now spending more forces defending the supply line than we are holding the front. This is not sustainable.
I have consulted with the council and we don’t have any diplomatic options. The Kallendorf are a powerful militarist democracy with strong enforcement and fist profiles.
To use the words of Gabriel. We are F**cked.

On a lighter note - maybe the corruption has peaked.

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 2051 AA**
Gave another policy speech – said we would focus on exploration and knowledge. Yadda yadda, I am not sure what would make a difference really.

The Kallendorf continue to push our line, but now we have stopped fighting back they are taking a lot of losses even though they are slowly gaining ground. Who knows how long this can last.

I’ve got Blaze’s replacement, Sileas, working on an ant-tank gun.

I am considering vastly ramping up our covert-ops in an offensive, rather than purely intel capacity – perhaps along with some diplomatic capacity. Silidark certainly has the experience there. It will take time but I have this idea that if we can survive long enough to pull it off, Kallendorf may have reason to agree a peace deal. Never say die.

A scientist has been admitted into our leadership – not sure yet which role to place him in. He was impressed with my speech and my support of academia generally and seems to have a lot about him. The others are not sure but I am thanking the fates to be honest.

He seems to know an awful lot about covert-ops and personal combat for a scientist, but I guess that is how you get the research grants these days.

Know what? I think I will have Leo form a Foreign Affairs Council and put this Dutch guy in charge of it. Who knows, he might put the wind up the Kallendorf – he scares the shit out of me…

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 2051 AA**
Good news! We found Galactic Republic Jet-Packs!
Bad news! They are being worn by Kallendorf infantry and the are not giving them to us. And they have Charged Gauss Rifles, which I think are a type of gun. How does Silidark even find these things out?

They have finally broken our supply line, just north-west of Hagbard.

Click for full size.

We immediately regained it but I have a feeling not for long. Also for the first time a group of their units held against an attack from our laser tank. They didn’t hurt it but neither were they running in fear.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 2051 AA**
Late spring I secretly had Dutch meet with the Kallendorf, money changed hands, threats and promises were made.
We offered peace. Kallendorf refused, from what I gather it was a close thing.

Since then I have been distracting myself with domestic matters, military occasions and advising CEO’s. We have been making improvements to our diplomatic and technical capacity but nowhere near enough to make a difference to the war.
Some striking workers kept Mercy Antares busy for a while but without something else to distract her I am thinking there could be an incident, which would be covered-up, of course.

Have had spies sent into the desert and mountains to the east and south.
Also, increasing investment into researching improved motorbikes – I have a feeling I might need one soon.

Click for full size.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 2052 AA**
Just received news that Governor Titania was killed in the fall of Hagbard.
As if morale were not bad enough already.
Our troops try to hold but scatter before the superior numbers and technology of the democratic militarists. Barbarians.
We now have better motorbikes.

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 2052 AA**

Dutch thought he might be able to wrangle one last meeting with the Kallendorf, but we would have to make it worth their while.
I sold off all the valuables we had and got together 1000 credits as a sweetener.
Kallendorf kept the money and sent back the messenger’s head in a bag.

Return to “AAR”